Shadow Warrior (New 2013 version)

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Anyone else playing it yet? It's pretty great so far. Only done first level, but it's really well-done if it keeps the same quality throughout. Good scripting, and there actually seems to be a story to the game as opposed to just being a bunch of levels strung together.

The dialogue can be pretty hilarious at times (or facepalm-worthy, but hey... Even corny dialogue beats the stupid-god-fucked idiocy of the completely silent protagonist, a la crysis 2, all of the half-lives and so on.) They did get a good voice actor for Lo Wang in particular I have to say.

Graphics is great - although way way too much glow on major light sources really, and the game with all effects tuned to max kills framerates even on dual geforce 770s (at 1080P rez)... *Ackpth!* Maybe there isn't a SLI profile for the game yet? Should be - I updated to the latest WHQL driver only days ago, so...

Turn off SSAO and Mirrors and Your performance will spike.
Also to eliminate blur and glow that destroys IQ use pp_enable 0 and pp_glow_enable 0 in console (ctrl+~).

Game is amazing. Ultra fast and gory. I'm half way through.

It is certainly unique and has a great polish to everything. Flying Wild Hog has taken their Painkiller / Hard Reset roots to a new level. Pretty sweet.

I'm playing on my unlocked 6950 @ 890/1400 at 1080p. It runs pretty well and looks great. I will experiment with the mirrors and SSAO settings though!

Is it a direct remake of shadow warrior with shinier graphics ?

ps: The rise of the triad remake/reboot came out a few weeks ago

ps: The rise of the triad remake/reboot came out a few weeks ago

No it isn't a remake. It has sophisticated melee combat along with guns. It has a RPG-lite character upgrade system. The story and characters are much more fleshed out. It's impressive - more than I expected from Flying Wild Hog. ;)

The new ROTT is essentially the old game with new graphics.

Anyone else playing it yet? It's pretty great so far. Only done first level, but it's really well-done if it keeps the same quality throughout. Good scripting, and there actually seems to be a story to the game as opposed to just being a bunch of levels strung together.

The dialogue can be pretty hilarious at times (or facepalm-worthy, but hey... Even corny dialogue beats the stupid-god-fucked idiocy of the completely silent protagonist, a la crysis 2, all of the half-lives and so on.) They did get a good voice actor for Lo Wang in particular I have to say.

Graphics is great - although way way too much glow on major light sources really, and the game with all effects tuned to max kills framerates even on dual geforce 770s (at 1080P rez)... *Ackpth!* Maybe there isn't a SLI profile for the game yet? Should be - I updated to the latest WHQL driver only days ago, so...

You can use the hard reset (same engine) SLI profile for now as there is no SLI profile yet.

Like Swaaye said, the differences between the old and new games are huge. HUGE. There's actually a story now, and it's pretty cool, all of the levels are different (except for the hidden retro bits they snuck in here and there), and even the protagonist is completely different except for the name and being chinese... Well, maybe not chinese chinese, as his demeanor is pretty much that of a modern-day westernized gangsta, but the voice actor has a slight asian accent so I guess new Lo Wang casually passes as chinese somehow...if you don't look too close. :LOL:

...Not that the previous Lo Wang was particularly chinese either mind you, with all his groanworthy pop culture references and dirty old man wisecracks.

You can use the hard reset (same engine) SLI profile for now as there is no SLI profile yet.
Ah! Thank you very much for that piece of advice, Sir!

As a matter of fact, I was wondering what engine this game runs on, you answered that as well without me even having to ask the question... I like that. :)

Ah! Thank you very much for that piece of advice, Sir!

As a matter of fact, I was wondering what engine this game runs on, you answered that as well without me even having to ask the question... I like that. :)

You're welcome.

I also heard nV is currently testing a SLI profile (different from the one used in the Hardreset value) which should be available soon.

Playing Shadow Warrior again, didn't make it all the way through when I first bought it but I'm bored of blizzard games so I need something else to distract myself with! :)

Random observation, but damn, this game is HUGE. So many levels! And so much voice acting, incredible. This is certainly one of the most impressive shooters to come out for many years. Some of the levels feel fairly mass-produced, while others are quite elaborate and impressive. I really like the dialogue, it helps immersion immensely.

Any shooting fan who hasn't bought this gem is really missing something. My one criticism is that the triggering of special moves/abilities feel a bit sloppy; I do the correct button combinations but the move doesn't go off. Not sure why that is, but it is a bit irritating. Also, with the right character upgrades, swordplay is REALLY strong, at least on easier difficulty. I hardly ever need guns (however I do use the flamer regularly on those harpy things, and demon heads on the really big mofos.)

Also, Lo Wang made an Eddie Izzard crack while I was on the ship. Nearly fell out of my chair. :LOL:

Back