The Evil Within (Chainsaw Man & Shinji Mikami return)

The true sequel to Silent Hill and Resident Evil 4 ! Shinji Mikami is back and he brought the Chainsaw man along ! :D

First proper playhrough, I guess. The game is based on ID Tech 5, I guess everyone knows that.

The true sequel to Silent Hill and Resident Evil 4 ! Shinji Mikami is back and he brought the Chainsaw man along ! :D

First proper playhrough, I guess. The game is based on ID Tech 5, I guess everyone knows that.
Wow, this what Resident Evil should be all about, a game that is suspenseful and scary. :p Day one for me if this game turns out to be as good as it seems.

If they can do that again, I am going to be a very happy consumer. Running on ID Tech 5 is also a great thing and I expect excellent results now that the technology of the PS4 and Xbox One is much better than their predecessors.

I basically loved every minute of the video.

IGN seems to Love it !
I don't like the visuals, but otherwise it seems to hit the right notes. The running animation of the hero reminds me of the crouching animation of ALpha Protocol. Looks like it did not get the budget a Mikami title requires.
Has anyone played it here? I didn't even know it was out !

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, the is SIREN kindof scary :
Watch with headphones ! heebies jeebies ! Grudge woman :oops: !!!
EDIT: WOw, love the trippy rendering effects and the audio , boy, the audio is awesome :p ! How the hell did I forget about this game !

Opinions on this game seem to diverge a lot.
Escapist, polygon and joystiq gave it quite mediocre scores, whereas IGN loved it.
Weird.

The visuals look like they vary a lot in quality. Appears to be solid Resident Evil-ish survival horror though.

The visuals look like they vary a lot in quality. Appears to be solid Resident Evil-ish survival horror though.
It's odd to me how yet another really good game ever since this month has started. That's nice for people who love choices, but for my wallet it is really demeaning.

Another game better off on PC. Even a GTX 750 TI will run the game on max at 1080p 30. Can't say the same for consoles. This has happened twice in the last month, with Alien. Consoles with similar GPU's should perform better than the PC counterpart. That's kind of the point.

CPU's really that bad? Will the situation get better?

Um this game runs like ass on my PC, with an overclocked 7850 and a Phenom II 955BE@ 4ghz, after changing the fps limit to 60 it runs at about 20 fps even with settings lowered. When I first launched my system was stock so I thought maybe it would run better with my normal OC but it didnt seem to make much diff at all, figured my cpu was bottlenecking it, was quite wrong. Going to need a patch to make it playable, they somehow managed to make it run horrible when Rage runs like butter on my system. Navigating the menus with the mouse is horrible btw, terrible mouse lag and changing the fps limit didnt help any as it's struggling to maintain over 25 fps on my rig even on the menus. There is no real options to help in the menu, the few there are didnt help.

try set your PC at Max Performance mode on windows power options and on ATi CCC overdrive.
btw does your cpu cores all used?

Um this game runs like ass on my PC, with an overclocked 7850 and a Phenom II 955BE@ 4ghz, after changing the fps limit to 60 it runs at about 20 fps even with settings lowered. When I first launched my system was stock so I thought maybe it would run better with my normal OC but it didnt seem to make much diff at all, figured my cpu was bottlenecking it, was quite wrong. Going to need a patch to make it playable, they somehow managed to make it run horrible when Rage runs like butter on my system. Navigating the menus with the mouse is horrible btw, terrible mouse lag and changing the fps limit didnt help any as it's struggling to maintain over 25 fps on my rig even on the menus. There is no real options to help in the menu, the few there are didnt help.

Have you played Wolfenstein? It's a lot more demanding than Rage so I expect Evil is too.

So it's an iD Tech 5 game running at sub 30Hz...
Did they get an achivement for that ? ;p
(Yes I'm mean.)

Sounds like a bug to me. All other sources are reporting the game runs more or less locked at 30fps on as little as a 750Ti. Perhaps unlocking the framerate is causing the issue. Got knows what the devs did to make it scale so horrendously bad but it seems like locking at 30fps is the way to go here and just ramping up resolution as high as you can.

It's not a bug, it runs about the same with the 30 fps cap, I did set the game not to use the silly super wide aspect and going back to the superwide improved performance since there's less stuff to render obv so the framerates are in more like 25-35 instead of 18-24 fps. Better but the performance is still quite bad for what the game is delivering. Crysis 3 comes to mind as a game that looks incredible and performs very well for the visuals it's providing.

Wolfenstein the New order ran better on my system and didnt have terrible mouse lag on the menus,

Makes you wonder if Bethesda's engine team isn't exactly up to snuff. They seemed to push this game as a major release so one would think developer support would have been a priority. Who knows.

Loved the game. Bought it on Tuesday. Finished it on Friday. A marvellously inventive and deliciously old-school fever dream of a game. A game with a very distinct directorial stamp on it no less. This isn't some wishy-washy Ubisoft abomination dreamed up by a bunch of boardroom members. This is clearly a game made by the "RE4 guy". Certainly not a game for everyone, but for those who like horror and can't stand the patronizing, one-size-fits-all approach to the genre by companies like Capcom, TEW is pretty much a must.

Sure, it's not a technological marvel, but it's frequently quite stunning regardless (just like IN RE4, the amount of art in TEW is just crazy) . Certainly doesn't run any worse than the likes of Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Thief or PS3 TloU either.

Back