*spin-off* (?) Xbox One drivers

Well surely if the drivers on the XOne version were heavily lacking the quality would have to lowered right?
The article doesn't say that the drivers are heavily lacking. They are not saying that.

DON'T PANIC

Well surely if the drivers on the XOne version were heavily lacking the quality would have to lowered right?

From what we've heard BF4 is looking pretty good on XOne and it's running at 900p.

Could this be a driver problem with the new mantle technology they are using? Or is this completely different?

Well it could only mean better performance over time as they get this stuff fixed.

Maybe a little bit of everything ?

You would think 275 GB/s peak bandwidth would be more than enough :p

I'm sure it all works out one way or the other. Love to find out more about it though, maybe a leak from Digital Foundry ;)

The article doesn't say that the drivers are heavily lacking. They are not saying that.

DON'T PANIC

Towel at the ready !!:LOL:

I'm sure lots of manpower will be thrown at the problem. I would expect everyone involved was expecting long days ahead before launch.

From 50% less powerful, the downclock, to yield problem, to driver issue, I wonder who is actually behind this. Some companies had been known to pay people to do this in the past...

Sure : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt#Contemporary_examples :devilish: I take it you were thinking of another company from the Far East. Wasn't the UCCTT: Ultimate Console Conspiracy Theories Thread closed down ?? ;)

added: I was wrong the thread was closed but was moved and opened up again: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64356

Last edited by a moderator:

From what we've heard BF4 is looking pretty good on XOne and it's running at 900p.
Could this be a driver problem with the new mantle technology they are using? Or is this completely different?

Well it could only mean better performance over time as they get this stuff fixed.

We have? must be because flops are obsolete now.

I don't know if this was a bit of fun but if not, Mantle isn't in the XB1 although some believe XB1 low level API may be in Mantle.

I don't know if this was a bit of fun but if not, Mantle isn't in the XB1 although some believe XB1 low level API may be in Mantle.

I watched the AMD presentation and they kept saying how next-gen consoles and PC are using the technology to help make programming easier across the platforms.

Also I said 900p for BF4 because they say it's over 720p but it's not 1080p.

Which brings the question... are we expecting this gen to render square pixels, or would some devs say it's 1080p... but a stretched 1440x1080 to 1920x1080?
There's a game that did that I can't remember which one, maybe the Sony Chip in my brain is kicking in, oh I feel a sudden urge to play GT5 !! Bye.

Which brings the question... are we expecting this gen to render square pixels, or would some devs say it's 1080p... but a stretched 1440x1080 to 1920x1080?

Any resolution in between is fair game, although I don't know what the optimal dimensions are (resolution being a multiple of MxN for a given bit depth ) on current ROPs/RBEs.

360 eDRAM padded out to 80x16 pixel tiles for no MSAA, 80x8 for 2xMSAA, 40x8 for 4xMSAA. For RSX it was better to have a resolution that was a multiple of 64x64 (32x32 for certain Z cases I think). Fuzzy memory.

I watched the AMD presentation and they kept saying how next-gen consoles and PC are using the technology to help make programming easier across the platforms.

Well Carmack said the consoles were weirdly similar to each other and both are similar to PCs ( especially AMD based ones although everyone running x86 code makes things much easier ). Now some similar lower level APIs just in time to make it even easier, for AMD equipped GPUs of course. If Mantle is adopted of course.

I will just say that the engineers from windows working with the xbox team aren't involved with driver optimization, and while more improvements are expected, current state is looking good. There is still much being tweaked from a UI perspective that has had evolved over years on the 360 and expected day 1 on XB1.

360 drivers were really good,i don't know how MS can fail at this.
Nobody said they are failing at this. Don't panic, etc...

But I can understand shit happens with pressure and a release date that cannot slip a single day. Windows releases are basically unusable in enterprise until at least the SP1.

I think Direct3D 3.0 was so bad that it damaged my brain permanently when I was a teenager, I'm sure it's a big scar visible under an NMRI.

Nobody said they are failing at this. Don't panic, etc...

But I can understand shit happens with pressure and a releaseen date that cannot slip a single day. Windows releases are basically unusable in enterprise until at least the SP1.

I think Direct3D 3.0 was so bad that it damaged my brain permanently when I was a teenager, I'm sure it's a big scar visible under an NMRI.

DX6 was a killer. And then came DX6a...

All of this talk of ms drivers being behind comes from one article on edge that doesnt even name a source.
If you read that entire article which in my opinion is nothing but click fodder at the very end of the article they also claim that the ps4's graphic driver is also quite lacking. You never hear anyone even mention that part of the article though. All this from a company that has already picked which console they are backing (ps4) and posted it as a major headline a few months ago.

Back