AMD Mantle API [updating]

I was watching a live interview with Richard Huddy on pcper.com yesterday, he claimed Mantle will be "open" probably next year, AMD will allow others (like NV and Intel) to use and adapt the API with no license fees, but wants to keep control over the API,

also he said Nvidia GPUs should run Mantle well, and that Mantle started like 3 years ago but development 18 months or something, the video should be on youtube soon

A very interest interview :eek:

The discussion stemmed from David Graham's assertion that AMD DX11 performance should be of concern to consumers in mantle enabled games.

Yep If the mantle version has a problem you can switch to the dx version, just like how with some games if they have problems in one api They can often be fixed by running it in another supported api
(i encountered this today in Leadfoot - Stadium Off Road Racing in d3d the menu's are corrupted and the game unplayable, its fine in glide)

Apparently Rockstar Games, among others, have joined the AMD Mantle betaprogram - there's still no confirmation for Mantle support obviously, but at least it should mean the studio is investigating the possibility

Then again, the list is coming from Videocardz.com, so even it should be taken with grain of salt
http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

Confirmed, unreleased games with Mantle-support:
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth
Star Citizen
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Battlefield: Hardline
Offworld Trading Company
Mass Effect (untitled)
Mirror’s Edge (untitled)
Star Control
Star Wars: Battlefront
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Sims 4
Dying Light
Unannounced title (Oxide Games/Nitrous Engine)

In beta-program, possible Mantle-support inc:
Homefront: The Revolution
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Alien: Isolation
Elite: Dangerous
Grand Theft Auto V
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Lichdom: Battlemage
Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars

I know beyond earth will have it as they talked about it at the pax east panel. Also star citizen will have it.

If dragon age has it , then I might pick it up

I know beyond earth will have it as they talked about it at the pax east panel. Also star citizen will have it.

If dragon age has it , then I might pick it up

The "Confirmed list" should be correct (with the possible exception of Sims 4, dunno about that), the "in betaprogram list" is the one I'm more doubtful about

GTAV has the potential to be a bit of a CPU hog (if Watch Dogs is anything to go by) so if it got Mantle support which made a big difference to the CPU requirements that could be a really big win.

Let say for some beta program games, i suspect this come more from studios who have start work and explore on Mantle more than a certitude that this will be this titles who will use it. ( Basically i could imagine the listing of some games is just here because this is the games who are at work right now for thoses studio ( including GTA5 ) )

Its not because Rockstar is exploring Mantle right now that they will set it for GTA5.. could be for one of their next titles.

@Pbliverpool :

Well CPU hog is a big side effect of any "Open World " games by their nature ( many AI characters, cars, etc etc ). As is RTS, combat flight simulation, well higher is the ammount of "AI" required, higher the cpu work. Its offtly sad that thoses games was offtly not even been coded by the past with efficient load on multi threads. I dont think a games like COD will really benefit of Mantle ( who really make me doubt they want use it for this game in addition of the thight link who exist between their team and Nvidia ( but things change... just watch about UbiSoft and AMD )

Last edited by a moderator:
GTAV has the potential to be a bit of a CPU hog (if Watch Dogs is anything to go by) so if it got Mantle support which made a big difference to the CPU requirements that could be a really big win.

They payed EA/Dice to support Mantle since it meant most of EAs library would be supported. If they do the same to entice Rockstar even though it might only be one or 2 games I would think AMD would be willing to do it. It would be huge for AMD for pc gaming.

They payed EA/Dice to support Mantle since it meant most of EAs library would be supported. If they do the same to entice Rockstar even though it might only be one or 2 games I would think AMD would be willing to do it. It would be huge for AMD for pc gaming.

How much they have give them ? 15 millions of $ ? Do we need to think this is the same for Oxyde ? Chrome engine ? TryArch, Crytek etc ?

Do they have put money on the co-joint project with Dice who have work on developping Mantle and make it a reality ? Thats sure.. i dont think Dice will have get so free time developpers for work on it just for the fun anyway. Cost have certainly be more shared that we can imagine.

When you have a project together, or working on a project together, everyone put time and money on the table.

I dont see them come to Dice and say, " hé guys, here's Mantle, now you will work for developp it with us, but this is at your own cost." Cost have been calculated, feasability, times for realisation, number of developpers who will work on it on different phase of the project ( developement, test, port in the Frostbyte Engine, test, modficiation ).
You dont come with something like that and ask them to work in their free-time, the week-end.

DICE was big part of Mantle development, too, so it's only natural everything using their engine (now Frostbite's engine) would support it

Or, you know, GTA IV.

True, it was a hog back in the day but doesn't offer any real challenge to modern CPU's. I'd imagine the last gen version of GTA5 to be about the same in terms of requirements but the next gen version will probably increase that significantly.

How much they have give them ? 15 millions of $ ? Do we need to think this is the same for Oxyde ? Chrome engine ? TryArch, Crytek etc ?

Do they have put money on the co-joint project with Dice who have work on developping Mantle and make it a reality ? Thats sure.. i dont think Dice will have get so free time developpers for work on it just for the fun anyway. Cost have certainly be more shared that we can imagine.

When you have a project together, or working on a project together, everyone put time and money on the table.

I dont see them come to Dice and say, " hé guys, here's Mantle, now you will work for developp it with us, but this is at your own cost." Cost have been calculated, feasability, times for realisation, number of developpers who will work on it on different phase of the project ( developement, test, port in the Frostbyte Engine, test, modficiation ).
You dont come with something like that and ask them to work in their free-time, the week-end.

Maybe it was the way I worded it but we are in agreement. We obviously don't know how much AMD had to contribute financially but they were asked that question at a conference earlier this year and they laughed and smiled and said they couldn't get into it (aka couldn't talk about it)

All I'm saying is I think it would be good if they pursued partnership with Rockstar as well to bring mantle support to GTAV and other games that use their R.A.G.E. engine like a Mayx Paye 4 sequel.

True, it was a hog back in the day but doesn't offer any real challenge to modern CPU's. I'd imagine the last gen version of GTA5 to be about the same in terms of requirements but the next gen version will probably increase that significantly.

With increased traffic & pedestrian count, further render distance for vehicles and pedestrians, further distance for rendering the poly models of buildings, improved LOD, wider area they have to processes phyiscs & ai, its going to have ALOT higher CPU requirements. THere will probably be a slider for how far off and how dense traffic is as GTA4 had so many sliders.

Ok sorry Pixel, its me who have not well understand what you have write ( i see so much this argument for a different purpose on some forums that i have jump on it ).

Yeah i think GTA5 will be terrible on this aspect. But i hope too it will be better optimised than the previous GTA. ( with or without Mantle )

Personally i have nothing against hungry ressource games, when it is fully justified by the quality of the result.

From what I remember, GTA IV never really ran well on any AMD CPU, except perhaps the fastest FXs.

A lot of misinformation here. We did Mantle because it is something that we've been wanting to have for a _very_ long time and it is technically & strategically exactly the direction we want to go in to create better games and to push the industry forward. It was not a carefully financially estimated or decision planned in detail, it made strategic sense so pushed for it and we did it as live RnD project. And it was awesome.

Then with BF4 DICE and AMD had an marketing collaboration, but that is not what made us implement Mantle. Tech & the game itself comes first then marketing & the business follows and builds on that. Anything else would be crazy.

A lot of misinformation here. We did Mantle because it is something that we've been wanting to have for a _very_ long time and it is technically & strategically exactly the direction we want to go in to create better games and to push the industry forward. It was not a carefully financially estimated or decision planned in detail, it made strategic sense so pushed for it and we did it as live RnD project. And it was awesome.

Then with BF4 DICE and AMD had an marketing collaboration, but that is not what made us implement Mantle. Tech & the game itself comes first then marketing & the business follows and builds on that. Anything else would be crazy.

If only everyone else felt that way!

I'm still hoping on Star Citizen support for mantle but I'm wondering if that was reliant on Crytek providing that support. With recent issues with Crytek, I wonder if that is in jeopardy.

I'm still hoping on Star Citizen support for mantle but I'm wondering if that was reliant on Crytek providing that support. With recent issues with Crytek, I wonder if that is in jeopardy.

Considering Star Citizen promised Mantle support long before Crytek told CryEngine will get Mantle support, I'm quite sure they'll support it regardless of Cryteks issues

Back