AMD Mantle API [updating]

Very nice! These types of games are perfect candidates for Mantle. Shame Ubi is ignoring it [lots of their games are sponsored by Nvidia].

Mantle for Linux?

I thought the primary reason for its existence was the huge drivers/ CPU overhead caused and introduced intentionally by Microsoft.

What does it have to do with Linux and more importantly, if DirectX 12 is coming, what's the point of Mantle existence anyways?
Will it bring improvements over DX12?

I thought the primary reason for its existence was the huge drivers/ CPU overhead caused and introduced intentionally by Microsoft.
MS hasn't intentionally made DirectX any worse, and OpenGL has similar high CPU overhead as DirectX does, even if some recent'ish extensions allow to bypass it in certain scenarios (like gazillion draw calls)

M

Oh yeah, would you mind to explain me that in detail?

That's even better than taking a Ionescu training class @RECon, indeed...

Mantle for Linux? .... What does it have to do with Linux and more importantly, if DirectX 12 is coming, what's the point of Mantle existence anyways?
Direct3D 12 is not available on Linux, Android, iOS or MacOS. It is only available on Microsoft Windows desktop and Windows Phone/RT.

If AMD decides to open the specification and manages to create a strong cross-platform developer community, they can potentially displace OpenGL ES 3.x and OpenGL 3.x as high-performance gaming APIs on these platforms. All they need to do is add support for GLSL shaders and Linux game developers like Valve will start abandoning OpenGL in droves.

Last edited by a moderator:
If AMD decides to open the specification and manages to create a strong cross-platform developer community, they can potentially displace OpenGL ES 3.x and OpenGL 3.x as high-performance gaming APIs on these platforms. All they need to do is add support for GLSL shaders and Linux game developers like Valve will start abandoning OpenGL in droves.
Wow! You managed to get like 5-10 unrealistic hypotheses/assumptions into 2 sentences! ;)

Seriously though - while I fully agree that other platforms need some sort of decent solution - all of that is hardly less work than other alternatives.

You managed to get like 5-10 unrealistic hypotheses/assumptions into 2 sentences!
Yeah, I am known to have very detailed, realistic hallucinations which I routinely present as my visions of the future :)

But seriously, with a new breed of D3D11 feature level GPUs even in the mobile SOC there is a potential moment to instantiate a clean API break, like what D3D12 does for the desktop/console. Something that [post=1836013]Long Peaks (OpenGL 3.0) proposal was supposed to be for D3D10 level cards[/post] before it was "simplified" to feature yet another set of extensions.

Star Citizen is also supporting Mantle right?
Your link is somehow borked.
Don't know why the link is broken,it is opening normally for me .. I expect this should be fixed soon(unless it was a mistake on NVIDIA's part).

As for Star Citizen it will support Mantle. Also PhysX and some other NVIDIA features like TXAA and HBAO+.

HBAO+ is a standard HLSL effect. But I don't think they will use it for Civ, because the source code is closed even for the partners. Many developers don't like these black box solutions.

Are TXAA and HBAO+ nv exclusive
Only TXAA, HBAO+ can run on any hardware(even Intel's)
HBAO+ is a standard HLSL effect. But I don't think they will use it for Civ, because the source code is closed even for the partners.
The link still doesn't work, I guess it still works for me because of FireFox caching, don't know why they took it down, guess if it is not up soon, then we should consider it a mistake.

This is a picture of the cached page:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2zqd8q0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back