AMD Mantle API [updating]

Why is that weird? They have CUDA, PhysX, APEX (does GSYNC count?) just to name a few. All are closed APIs. This is really AMD's first seemingly closed API in recent memory? What was the last closed GPU functionality they had, npatches?

N-patches wasn't closed functionality, it was optional part of DX and supported by Matrox (Parhelia) too if my memory serves me right. Having fancy name for it (TruForm) doesn't make it closed. Oh, and NVIDIA supported the other similar function, rt-patches, but it was removed quite quickly from drivers due terrible performance.
(Someone correct me if my memory isn't serving me right here)

Based on the overall response Mantle is more open than everybody here expected, everybody involved in it are very clear that it's not as it's being painted and AMD has no meaningful history of doing closed API.

I personally don't think it's relevant discussing it's nature anymore, specially in this moment in time (before it's released).

Is there a release date for the Battlefield 4 Mantle patch? I think the plan was originally late December, but I haven't heard anything more precise.

Repi never said anything more precise than late December. We will have to wait. With all these troubles BF4 is going through, who knows if fist version of Mantle will arrive on time.

Repi never said anything more precise than late December. We will have to wait. With all these troubles BF4 is going through, who knows if fist version of Mantle will arrive on time.

Didn't they specifically say that all other projects had been put on hold until the BF4 crashing issues have been resolved? If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised to the the patch delayed until January :cry:

Actually I feel the AMD decision of making BF4 their flag-ship title has backfired on them,or at least didn't benefit them as much as they hoped. The game was rushed (EA's influence) and is suffering from major bugs on all platforms, they even had big issues with bundling the game with the cards. The Mantle patch will definitely be delayed some more otherwise it will suffer from more major bugs too, and wasting more time is not good for capturing marketing halos or mind share. I feel like this puts the spot light again on the developer's cost of supporting another API, especially when a developer has to support 5 platforms, all at once. Though the burden will be less when old consoles become irrelevant in two or 3 years.

So much grasping for straws trying to spin any little thing into a negative these days :LOL:

Fact is Mantle or not AMD is selling out of every single Tahiti and Hawaii based card to date. Data point proof, Newegg just put up ~40 Sapphire 290s 45 minutes ago@$499 (that's $100 above MSRP), there are only 6 left now. Some ASUS ones just went up in stock as well, stock says 20+@$499 (again $100 over MSRP). Let's see how long those last.

Edit: To track stock levels @newegg go to their business site and you have to click on the actual individual card listing. Search results will list them out of stock but the individual listing pages will show actual stock levels since those are updated first.
Edit2: There is now only 1 Sapphire 290 left so it took less than an hour to sell all those 40 cards. http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-14-202-060

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep up people. The people responsible for Mantle work separately in their own studio now so feel free to bash DICE all you want :LOL:

EbqU0HF.jpg

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34006775
Derek Whiteman worked in AMD's Graphics Architecture Group and on its tools team from 2003 through 2012, and before that in other technical capacities at Sony CEE and the UK Ministry of Defence.

It's a boon then the Frostbite team has acquired him this week, naturally to work on the advanced Frostbite engine originally created by developer DICE (though tied to DICE, the Frostbite team now works independently in its own studio).

Other new team members this week include Alex Fry and Sebastian Hillaire, both from Criterion and boasting equally impressive resumes.

Any argument of a delay of the Mantle patch is pretty dubious now since the people working on the Mantle patch are not tied to working on the game bugs...

Any argument of a delay of the Mantle patch is pretty dubious now since the people working on the Mantle patch are not tied to working on the game bugs...
That assumes none of the crashes are engine-related, which is not clear. TBH it doesn't really matter either way and I think the whole "omg DICE is stopping everything to fix bugs" thing is overblown, but we don't have enough information to know where the issues are coming from.

And gkar you seem to have gone into full fanboy mode over the past couple weeks... nothing wrong with being excited, but maybe tone the attitude down a touch.

Keep up people. The people responsible for Mantle work separately in their own studio now so feel free to bash DICE all you want :LOL:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34006775

But surely integrating the mantle support into BF4 and producing a patch will be down to Dice? Maybe they might also test it too?

Sent from my phone so please excuse my post if it makes no sense.

No reason to feel butthurt, gkar. It's all good. I didn't see a lot of DICE bashing, just EA bashing, which is customary anyway. It is not a bad thing to delay a new feature to first stabilize the existing code base. That seems to make good engineering sense to me.

TBH it doesn't really matter either way and I think the whole "omg DICE is stopping everything to fix bugs" thing is overblown, but we don't have enough information to know where the issues are coming from.
Exactly my point.

I get an email alert the thread has been updated hoping to see news on the topic at hand. I even enjoy reading the posts of critics biased against it that have some actual technical merit because chances are someone with equal knowledge will shed some light explaining things at the same technical level resulting in the quality of the thread being enhanced. Even you who have been critical of it, to a melodramatic point (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1805866&postcount=606), moved your campaign and arguments for not using/needing Mantle outside of the thread (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64685).
It's simply getting tiring to see a string of straw men arguments brought up by the same people over and over for the sole purpose of sidelining discussion of the actual topic.

Edit: Maybe the answer is as simple as making it so that one does not get thread update notifications from posts of people who are in your ignore list :)

Even you who have been critical of it, to a melodramatic point (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1805866&postcount=606), moved your campaign and arguments for not using/needing Mantle outside of the thread (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64685).]
Please don't mischaracterize my posts. The first is not critical of Mantle so much as the claims that it is "portable" and other IHVs just have to "pick it up". I remain critical of that claim as do many others.

The second thread is not an opposition to Mantle, it's an orthogonal topic that came up in the discussion. As Humus even mentions in that thread, ideally in the long run you get both lower overhead and more draw call complexity. It's not an either/or scenario.

It's simply getting tiring to see a string of straw men arguments brought up by the same people over and over for the sole purpose of sidelining discussion of the actual topic.
Might I suggest that responding to the thread every time you get a notification regardless of whether you have new information/insight to add makes you part of the problem?

Cool down people if a thread it going off topic like this one, just say so nicely, no need to point fingers or anything childish !
:p

Didn't they specifically say that all other projects had been put on hold until the BF4 crashing issues have been resolved? If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised to the the patch delayed until January :cry:

They said all DLC projects are on hold. Mantle was never mentioned.

Heres the actual quote I beleive
“The team at DICE is working non-stop to update the game. Since Battlefield 4 China Rising expansion pack was already in the final stages of development by the time issues began with Battlefield 4, we decided to fulfill our promise to deliver it this week, but we’re not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4.

“We know many of our players are frustrated, and we feel their pain. We will not stop until this is right.”

Back