AMD Mantle API [updating]

I'm sure we can all envisage how this started out and just snowballed into what it is now. Mantle would have been the finishing move for Intel or Nvidia and we all know it. The only reason we're doubting it is because it's AMD.
Um... no. I don't really know how to follow that up in more detail without knowing whether you're misinformed or just disregarding several facts and statements by AMD. If you're disregarding them and just crystal balling the wider industry, fine, but not really an interesting discussion.

On the rumor of AMD paying DiCE for Mantle support, thanks to NVIDIA's panel:

02:56PM EDT - Can you tell us how much they paid for you to use Mantle?
02:56PM EDT - Johan: They wouldn't have to pay us anything to use it, I've been pitching these ideas to any vendor for years

To be sure, AMD has paid EA a buttload of money for all the BF4 cross-promotion and bundles. I do believe repi would have advocated the use of Mantle even if that weren't the case.

Technically he doesn't say that AMD didn't pay them to use it, only that they would use it irregardless.

02:56PM EDT - Can you tell us how much they paid for you to use Mantle?
02:56PM EDT - Johan: They wouldn't have to pay us anything to use it, I've been pitching these ideas to any vendor for years

Nice to hear! Uh, maybe it's because I parse statements from politicians as a hobby but do you see how what Johan said doesn't actually preclude them from having received some kind of financial support*? I'm sure someone else will point this out so you might want to be prepared. Or not. :)

*Could even be taken as a hint that money being offered wouldn't be seen as an insult. lol

According to the news, AMD bought some rights to do advertisement for themselfs, not for a third party to utilize Mantle. AMD might have done the same without Mantle even existing, and DICE surely would have utilized it without the deal.
They seem to be at good terms (business departments and independent of it the tech departments), and that's I think everything to be taken from this. No need for weirdo theories.

People are going to note the choice of words. It's easy to just say "They didn't pay us anything to use it" but that was not the case. I was trying to keep my observation light but maybe it wasn't taken that way.

The fact remains that AMD paid DICE a large amount of money for Battlefield 4, and that includes Mantle support. According to AMD at this very forum, it will take more development work to optimally code for Mantle compared to DirectX or OpenGL. More development work does not come for free.

On a side note, Johan @ DICE also indicated at NVIDIA's event that he is absolutely against IHV-specific graphics API's (and Tim Sweeney and John Carmack obviously agree with that sentiment too).

Johan is completely stoked about Mantle and it could barely be more obvious. Of course if you have a bunch of Nvidia centric guys there like Carmack, at an Nvidia event asking loaded questions then it's difficult not to respond with an appeasing answer. More telling was him making the point about "pitching the idea to any vendor for a number of years. Nvidia was given every chance.

It is amazing that this is even a discussion, given the long track record of DICE openly trying to find a solution for the big bottlenecks in DirectX first with Microsoft but being let down, and then with basically anyone who wanted to, which in the end was AMD.

Apparently it was Epic's Mark Rein the one who asked the question, if true that's pretty pathetic.

To be clear, it wasn't Mark Rein that asked the question, it came from the audience. The ensuing enthusiastic Mantle conversation was pretty funny though.

THe comment from REPI about pushing either or both Kronos or MSFT to move forward wrt the state of the arts of graphic API was really interesting.
I think MSFT will, as it is their best interest (if they are still able to see it, which sometime is doubious) as it makes PC better (though they are not pushing hard enough to say the least on that front) and in the tablet/phone where it is even more critical to do more with less.

I posted it multiple times, it always ended at the bottom of a page but the chief engineer behind the XB1 stated in the interview he gave to the DF that they (MSFT) wants to make PC/direct x closer to consoles. I find it weird that nobody reacted to this, it is not coming from "nobody".
Imo such a statement makes Mantle transitional.

Imo it is not clever for Nvidia fans to be pissed off about Mantle, they should praise it. If it delivers significant improvements (in BF4 /FB2) it will put a lot of pressure on MSFT to make things better in the PC realm. We all win...

Complaining about Mantle, etc is narrow minded, if there is somebody to lobby on the matter it is neither Nvidia nor AMD but MSFT => when are you going to get more serious about Direct x. I hope that BF4 +Mantle push people to think and act that way not into sterile fan wars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back