Need For Speed Rivals [Next Gen, Current Gen]

I only just got a chance to play it as it took at least 2 hours to download and complete installation.

I did run into an HDMI / HDCP or screen saver issue of some sort with the PS4 while waiting for it to complete installing. I had left the machine running doing the install and switched over to the PS3 to play Dragon's Dogma while I was waiting. When I tried to switch back an hour or so later when I noticed the network activity had stopped, I could not get the PS4 beyond a black screen. I had to power it down using the power button (2 beeps?). When it came backup everything was normal so I am leaning towards a software or handshake issue due to going through a receiver and having HDMI device control enabled *or* a power saving mode turning off the screen but not waking up properly.

Anyway, yes it is fun. Only played 30 minutes but it seems like a hybrid of classic Need For Speed, Burnout and Test Drive Unlimited. They have totally nailed the feel of the classic PS1 and PS2 era games while adding the bells and whistles expected of a modern racer. Cars are heavier than Burnout and traffic is sparser so you can get way better sustained speeds. Seems to support multiple play styles as well (i.e. race focus, exploration focus, etc.) Going to 30FPS is a bit jarring after BF4 but regardless, it looks to be a keeper. I just wish it had an in car or at least a hood view.

The install process sucks majorly (for the DD version) but the game itself seems great.

Well, that sounds fun ! Hmm.......but as of now, the new DriveClub footage is too beautiful. That is turning into a must buy. This needs a demo, as far as I am concerned.

Ok it's getting absolutely ridiculous now
EA Support has more bad news for racing game fans looking forward to the Windows edition of Need for Speed Rivals, indicating the game will not support any driving-wheels or other peripherals (thanks DSoGaming *). This follows indications that the driving sequel will be capped at 30 FPS. They say, simply: "Need for Speed Rivals will not support any driving-wheels or other peripherals."

* http://www.dsogaming.com/news/hilar...speed-rivals-does-not-support-driving-wheels/

That's pretty pathetic. Looks like we may see a temporary drop in the quality of PC support again thanks to the new console releases ...

If, that is, the console versions do in fact support wheels. Otherwise it's just more budget cutting.

I would love a job as a game tester, but no one would hire me, why because I care. If this happened on my watch I would kick up such a fuss they would add it just to get some peace. I would be calling for the person who thought no wheel support was a good idea to be fired, obviously any one who thinks this is a good idea has no business being involved with a racing game.

found this :
Append to the properties of a shortcut: -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60

Ok it's getting absolutely ridiculous now
EA Support has more bad news for racing game fans looking forward to the Windows edition of Need for Speed Rivals, indicating the game will not support any driving-wheels or other peripherals (thanks DSoGaming *). This follows indications that the driving sequel will be capped at 30 FPS. They say, simply: "Need for Speed Rivals will not support any driving-wheels or other peripherals."

* http://www.dsogaming.com/news/hilar...speed-rivals-does-not-support-driving-wheels/

Well the good news is that saves me a few bucks as I won't play 30fps games anymore, so that's one game off my wishlist. No biggie in the end, there's tons of other games out there to play anyways, still got my endless backlog to churn through.

I would love a job as a game tester, but no one would hire me, why because I care. If this happened on my watch I would kick up such a fuss they would add it just to get some peace. I would be calling for the person who thought no wheel support was a good idea to be fired, obviously any one who thinks this is a good idea has no business being involved with a racing game.

found this :
Append to the properties of a shortcut: -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60

Nice find. It's insane that this is so easily possible and yet still not implemented in the game.

Let me know if that works (dont own the game)
30fps would mean 15fps per eye for 3d users

More likely they just don't allow 3D at all. Rage for example blocks it completely even through drivers.

EDIT: I also don't own it - not likely to either given these news items!

I hate to be an apologist but the poor support could well be due to it being a rushed launch. That doesn't make it all better or anything tho.

I need to revise my opinion after playing this a bunch more.

EA waaay over SimCitified this title and it seems to have been released before it was done.

There is no single player experience as such and there is no such thing as "pause" in this game. You can be driving along minding your own business and suddenly get a "host migrating" message and be kicked out of your current activity. Despite having this semi-forced integration, you have no guarantee that you will actually have other players in your session so it is basically a zero gain situation.

The cops are incessant and you cannot dial down their aggression. The game is designed to basically interrupt your racing as much as possible in that the longer you race, the more aggressive the cops get and to keep your earned points you have to return to a garage. So basically you are forced to find a garage constantly.

Entering or exiting the garage triggers a significant loading period (no idea why since the PS4 should have gobs of RAM for it though it does seem to trigger a lot of network activity so maybe that's why). The map does not offer a zoom function so finding events is a bit tedious.

When driving around, there is an option to quickly mark things on your GPS like the nearest garage (which you need constantly). The path finding algorithm seems to always choose a path behind you when being chased by the cops which is not at all helpful.

This isn't a show stopper but there are graphical issues with textures that occasionally cause pink flashes when stuff pops in. This game may also have the single worst music I have ever heard in a racer (luckily you can turn down, unfortunately Sony doesn't let us play MP3s in game).

Of all of these issues, the host migration and the lack of being able to dial down / turn off cops are the most egregious issues. My wife loves playing racing games but is finding it pretty frustrating that she can't ditch the cops for more than a second or two when she just wants to explore a bit. Gameplay quickly becomes run from cops, find a garage, load menu delay, load game delay, repeat.

Rivals seems like a core of a good game let down by EA's SimCitification and lack of test time.

Cheers

You should be able to disable public games or set it to private, which is then kept at default. The game defaults to public networked games. It was discussed in the latest Gamers with Jobs podcast, that's how i know. ;)

The game has an extremely small despawn range for AI racers. Playing as a cop and trying to bust a car encountered on the fly is super frustrating because if you get turned around after ramming or pick a wrong turn, often by the time you have recovered the targeted racer has already despawned.

Cheers

I'll probably buy it since i own all the other nfs games, but not until its in the bargain bins. with a bit of luck it may be patched by then.

Broken single player experience , just boring.
My main gripe about the game is that there is no pause at all. I enabled Single Player just wondering what happened but the game never pauses so I try to pause sometimes and end up crashing into a wall seconds afterwards.

Kinect voice commands work like a charm though. Saying EasyDrive opens the EasyDrive menu, then you say Next, Yes or No, depending on what you want to do.

Reviewers don't emphasise how helpful it is. I just say "Open Map" amd there is the map, then say.... "Interceptors" and it hightlights the interceptors pane.

Those gameplay perks should be mentioned in the reviews, because they alter the gameplay positively and they add to it.

Gotta sleep, it has been a very long night, yet very fun.

It absolutely blows my mind that a racing game without manual shifting could get so many decent reviews ^^;; I am clearly hopelessly out of touch!

Its not good
Wow, how is that possible for a game to run at such speed? I wonder if he edited the video.

I gotta say that the game is far from perfect, but it is also obvious to me that the guy is being overly dramatic. The intro can't be skipped, ok, but those short video tutorials don't throw you out of the experience.

It makes me wonder though why the game got good reviews in the first place, it's not that great.

Back