AMD GPU14 Tech Day Event - Sept 25'th

According to this, it fits for Tahiti, but Pitcairn 7870 only gets ~4700 Fire Strike according to this http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-3dmark-fire-strike-desktop-gpu-performance-review

It's a 2 GB card which seemingly rules out Tahiti.

So yeah, an apparent discrepancy, I hope they have some turbocharged Pitcairn for 199 (you can get a 7950 on sale now though for close IIRC).

There's been some cut-down Tahiti that were 2GB, they were called Tahiti LE: example Powercolor 7870 Myst edition.

I know this is probably a stupid question but I assume Mantle is a proprietary API for AMD hardware? Perhaps just GCN level hardware? These optimisations aren't going to work on NVidia GPU's, right?

INdeed, and hearing him speak about the absolute necessity of being cross-platform really makes think of SteamOS its opened nature.
Too bad you'll never see any more EA (and thus, also frostbite) games on steam.

Only to the extent in which having a pink tachometer in a Ferrari is a meaningful sales differentiator. The new cooler shroud would have been a more meaningful sales differentiator.

Really? It's been, what, 13 years since Creative swallowed up Aureal? We're *long* overdue for a legitimate answer to 3D sound.

Not sure how I feel about a proprietary API...

I'm guessing this was done to compete more with Intel on the CPU side, which is understandable given the architecture differences and the current position they are in.

pjbliverpool said:
These optimisations aren't going to work on NVidia GPU's, right?
I would guess most of the strictly GPU optimizations could be handled by OpenGL extensions. It would wager it is the CPUs/APUs which will benefit the most.

Oooh, Mantle works with all CGN GPUs, that's pretty cool. I'm sure HD 7000s owners will be happy to hear that.

They save Mantle explanation until the very last? Wow.

That's like, the biggest reveal of the entire conference! 9x the draw calls and so on. Pretty amazing.

Have cake AND eat it? Not do less with more but MORE with more? Yeah! That's what I wanna hear, why didn't you give us this right at the start?!

It will be AMD proprietary, I assume...? I also assume mantle on PC will mirror console APIs in some way, to facilitate porting...?

They save Mantle explanation until the very last? Wow.

That's like, the biggest reveal of the entire conference! 9x the draw calls and so on. Pretty amazing.

Have cake AND eat it? Not do less with more but MORE with more? Yeah! That's what I wanna hear, why didn't you give us this right at the start?!

It will be AMD proprietary, I assume...? I also assume mantle on PC will mirror console APIs in some way, to facilitate porting...?
i
I never heard about RaptR (spelling), it is not exclusive to AMD though it looks like it is quiet something.

One thing odd, from Anand's liveblog:

And

According to this, it fits for Tahiti, but Pitcairn 7870 only gets ~4700 Fire Strike according to this http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-3dmark-fire-strike-desktop-gpu-performance-review

It's a 2 GB card which seemingly rules out Tahiti.

So yeah, an apparent discrepancy, I hope they have some turbocharged Pitcairn for 199 (you can get a 7950 on sale now though for close IIRC).

I was told they wouldn't be reusing Pitcairn in the lineup, there was a new 256b GPU that is around 7950/7970(non-ghz) performance. Possibly Curacao?

AMD must be congratulated on having apparently very good hardware and managing to get a terrible presentation out of it.

Almost no information about Hawaii or "enhanced GCN", no release date, no price, no performance estimate, nothing.

Definitely looks like an AMD proprietary API since it's GCN only. Great for my 7870 though.

So what's the possibility of steamos + mantle bringing more games to linux?

So is mantel limited to Frostbite 3 and EA?

I guess it will always be an optional engine for the PC?

Will devs bother to support multiple API's for PC gaming?

Will mantle work like a middleware on consoles, so if you use mantel for XBone and PS4 you'll already have it for the PC?

Mantle...
Do we need another proprietary API ?
Glide all over again ?
They have so much free engineering resource at AMD for that ?
Looks like their drivers don't need any substantial improvement... frame pacing... UHD xfire issue...

Mantle...
Do we need another proprietary API ?
Glide all over again ?
They have so much free engineering resource at AMD for that ?
Looks like their drivers don't need any substantial improvement... frame pacing... UHD xfire issue...

Maybe those things aren't issues if you use Mantle?

2 hours of boredom, and then at the end, the biggest news PC gaming recieved in teh last 10 years! Magnificent work by AMD and DICE, I cant wait to see more info, benches, who will support it, and how much money I have to save for R9 290...

Back