*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game looks great - and that's way more important than pushing 1080p or 100.000+ polys per character just for the sake of it, imo.

If you really NEED to discuss the drop to 900p (if that's actually true) as a downgrade, I'd be way more interested in the question of what it potentially tells us with respect to XBOX One's ROP and memory system "balance" than with respect to a game developer's quest for maximizing the perceived visual quality of their game ... the fact that MS openly said that boosting overall GPU clocks (which includes a boost to ROPs and embedded RAM) seemed more effective to them than just adding more shader power (by potentially unlocking CUs deactivated for the sake of yields) was very telling, though.

The game looks great - and that's way more important than pushing 1080p or 100.000+ polys per character just for the sake of it, imo.

If you really NEED to discuss the drop to 900p (if that's actually true) as a downgrade, I'd be way more interested in the question of what it potentially tells us with respect to XBOX One's ROP and memory system "balance" than with respect to a game developer's quest for maximizing the perceived visual quality of their game ... the fact that MS openly said that boosting overall GPU clocks (which includes a boost to ROPs and embedded RAM) seemed more effective to them than just adding more shader power (by potentially unlocking CUs deactivated for the sake of yields) was very telling, though.

I agree if the game really looks like the 2nd pic @ 900p vs 1st pic @ 1080p... I don't think most people will complain. This goes for all games on all consoles imo.

With display panels and dynamic resolution, even when the game ships we will talk endlessly about the real resolution. So Yerli can say what he wants :D

Dat driver performance recovery and windows team reinforcements :LOL:

So they've made a software scaler that performs AA?

hsgU48L.png

I completely do not understand this tweet.

No compromise means they are not changing the native resolution from 1080p but they're saying here that it runs at 900p.

Downgrading resolution to increase performance in other areas is a compromise, and as far as I can tell from this tweet they're doing exactly that...? So what does no compromise mean?

Oh, and decreasing the polygon count surely counts as a compromise in my book, or they simply made a model that didn't fit their purpose in the first place and then the question would be if somebody related to making the models being actually competent or not by wasting time making a high polygon model only to throw away/redo/change it again..

No compromise means they are not changing the native resolution from 1080p but they're saying here that it runs at 900p.

Downgrading resolution to increase performance in other areas is a compromise, and as far as I can tell from this tweet they're doing exactly that...? So what does no compromise mean?

Presumably means they lost visual fidelity in one area like resolution, but that let them improve visual fidelity in another area, hence no compromise. Like perhaps the downscale let them incorporate better aa, so before you had higher resolution with aliasing and now you have less resolution but with less aliasing. Compromise would be one way like they lost visual fidelity from the resolution drop and gained no visual improvements in the process.

Oh, and decreasing the polygon count surely counts as a compromise in my book, or they simply made a model that didn't fit their purpose in the first place and then the question would be if somebody related to making the models being actually competent or not by wasting time making a high polygon model only to throw away/redo/change it again..

I guess he mean no compromise from the E3 versión.

It was never running at 1080p therefore it isn't a downgrade.
The fact people thought it was, and it still at worse looks just as good is testament to the graphical choices made.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...amebuffer-polygon-reduced-in-invisible-parts/

In fact it seems like you know that, so now I'm confused by your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is saying that it's been the same resolution all along so there was no compromise on the games resolution. Also if they were able to optimize their use of polygons, which makes it look better with less, are we really going to consider that a compromise?

The funny thing is that no one has a hard time believing it was 1080p before we knew it wasn't.

He is saying that......
I'm not sure if your replying to me or Strange.

Anyway.
Yea, that's what I said pretty much word for word :LOL:

Resolution used to be king, and for good reason.
I'm not saying it still isn't important but it's not what defines how good something looks the way it used to, and that change has been happing over the years.

He is saying that it's been the same resolution all along so there was no compromise on the games resolution. Also if they were able to optimize their use of polygons, which makes it look better with less, are we really going to consider that a compromise?

The funny thing is that no one has a hard time believing it was 1080p before we knew it wasn't.

I think the confusion over that came from one of the MS tools who said it was running at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back