*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The screen grabs are way to muddy and degraded for posting. I need a direct feed (720/900/1080p) other than IGN's video stream feed. The ones I took from the stream just made things worst, and that's not what I'm trying to convey. I just wanted to illustrate certain things that should have depth and high quality shaders/textures, that seem to be missing from the current build.

I dunno. The lighting is different and coming from different angles in each pic. The skin sharers in the newer picture blow away the first. There are wrinkles and creases in the neck of the commander on the right that weren't there in the first pic.

The artwork got a huge up grade throughout the scene both in the background and foreground. The armor textures ARE a little muddier especially when you compare the edges of the gold work in the helmets of the second picture to the first. It doesn't appear to be polygon oriented and may just be due to resolution.

However the metal shaders are more varied and better in the newer pic. If you look at the commander on the right in the first pic all of the bodywork has the same exact sheen and honestly looks like not so good shader work. The lighting on the lion in the breastplate is also off. Especially since the left cheek of the lion should be illuminated based on the supposed angle of the light source. The metal shades in that pic looks off, the epaulets aren't casting shadows and it looks like the leather fasteners are clipping through the metal. The second newer pic has none of those issues.

*edit* I hate spell check...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno. The lighting is different and coming from different angles in each pic. The skin sharers in the newer picture blow away the first. There are wrinkles and creases in the neck of the commander on the right that weren't there in the first pic.

The artwork got a huge up grade throughout the scene both in the background and foreground. The armor textures ARE a little muddier especially when you compare the edges of the gold work in the helmets of the second picture to the first. It doesn't appear to be polygon oriented and may just be due to resolution.

However the metal shaders are more varied and better in the newer pic. If you look at the commander on the right in the first pic all of the bodywork has the same exact sheen and honestly looks like not so good shaded work. The lighting on the lion in the breastplate is off also especially since the left cheek of the lion should be illuminated based on the supposed angle of the light source. The metal shaded in that pic looks off, the epaulets aren't casting shadows and it looks like the leather fasteners are clipping through the metal. The second newer pic has none of those issues.

Ryse is a gorgeous game in many respects... It's just certain things that break up the overall quality. The E3 build had a certain polish about it, however the current build seems watered a little. The animation is generic or unrefined, screen tearing, and certain items/objects/environment details have a low quality appeal to them. Believe me, I'm not knocking the game, I'm just pointing out what I see as of now. Hopefully the game is more refined by release...

Ryse is a gorgeous game in many respects... It's just certain things that break up the overall quality. The E3 build had a certain polish about it, however the current build seems watered a little. The animation is generic or unrefined, screen tearing, and certain items/objects/environment details have a low quality appeal to them. Believe me, I'm not knocking the game, I'm just pointing out what I see as of now. Hopefully the game is more refined by release...

So are saying about the game in general or about the latest change vs previously? Because I'm having a hard time understanding the "low quality appeal" when comparing the two pics.

I actually like less shine, for me it's more realistic.
The two images look the same but the lighting of the environment is very different. The top image looks like like it may have direct sunlight, hence heightened reflections from the leather, armour and the building behind being lit, whereas the bottom image looks very cloudy - less daylight, less lighting, less reflections.

I'm not sure this is evidence of significant changes to the engine per se, this could just be the director changing time or day and/or weather for a certain point in game to make it more dramatic.

Either way, it looks good :)

There are some sites taking this new ryse news of a drop in polys and running with it as proof ryse was ran on a nvidia gtx 780 at e3. Really its one main site and then a few other copy its article and spreading it. Its a clear example of crap game journalism with a lack of knowledge and research that is becoming quite common in this day and age. They are even post images of said nvidia card with a xbox logo photoshoped on it.
Ive never seen this much ill will towards the launch of a specific console

New picture:

nw89.jpg

There are some sites taking this new ryse news of a drop in polys and running with it as proof ryse was ran on a nvidia gtx 780 at e3. Really its one main site and then a few other copy its article and spreading it. Its a clear example of crap game journalism with a lack of knowledge and research that is becoming quite common in this day and age. They are even post images of said nvidia card with a xbox logo photoshoped on it.
Ive never seen this much ill will towards the launch of a specific console

Yeah, it's mostly ones who just want to bash on it. what's really screwing with everyone's minds are the numbers though, Very few are looking past it. If I remember correctly Metal Gear Solid 4 went through similar, OldSnake. very few complained when pixels and polys were cutback, back in the day.

Anyways, I was thinking that this may happen at some point to some nextgen titles on the consoles. when you are working with fixed boxes you have to prioritize and optimize anyways....this is probably the reason why a lot of nextgen games aren't even trying to make 100k characters at 1080p 60fps on either platform.

The message is simple, with fixed hardware you will always be left with the same trade off choices over and over; make 400k poly characters and have small environments or make lots of 40k characters with pretty shaders and textures.

New picture:

Can't tell anything from that shot, need to find some quality captures.

I'm a little confused by this thread and too busy to read the last few pages just to track back which of those pictures posted above actually is the more recent one - so I'll just say that (not knowing which version is the one that supposedly "suffers" from less polys and resolution), the one with the less shiny armour looks vastly superior to me.

I'm a little confused by this thread and too busy to read the last few pages just to track back which of those pictures posted above actually is the more recent one - so I'll just say that (not knowing which version is the one that supposedly "suffers" from less polys and resolution), the one with the less shiny armour looks vastly superior to me.

The less shiny one is the more recent shot.

The switch from iron armor to tin foil? Shiny shaders is just a art decision, not a technical upgrade correct?

I am sure part of anything visually is art direction but if you look at the the rest: background, skin textures and lighting... it does look like an 'upgrade' to me anyways. :cool:

I wonder if we ever saw it running at 900p? I hope so as then that would have given us an idea of the scaler capabilities.

http://gearnuke.com/crytek-ceo-ryse-downgrade-upgrades-promises-full-hd/

Bit like everything XB1 related, a bit all over the place message wise, no denying the result here though.

there is not one single downgrade compared to E3, promised! Only UPGRADES in the final push towards finalling phase! Its FULL HD XP!

looks better than at E3! Shader deeper, more real.Marius features additionally also realtime physical dangling pieces.Plus much more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back