*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
One starts to wonder if there is ever going to come some good news regarding the Xbox One. I'm getting it regardless for my kids to try out Kinect, but it is not like I'm getting more exited as the time goes on. :-|
There has been a damage and discredit campaign since time ago, from the media and the so called "hardcore gamers" -I cringe at the name now- First it was the downclock, then the yield issues, the spying Kinect in your sleep, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

When the original Xbox came out there wasn't a global awareness about it, so people didn't mind, but now that the X360 became mainstream people view it as an option -in other words, a treat too-.

Ryse is a launch game, a game between two generations like a fellow forumer pointed out already, and it can be understandable.

Other than that, I study the Xbox One architecture and the technology behind it and I can't help it but think it is one of the best consoles in the history of consoles.

I wonder if its the cpu. The new atom seems faster ipc wise than jaguar and an i7 dual core 1.9ghz is almost 4 times faster in some tests than a 4 core jaguar at 1.5ghz .

The Z3770 is running at or near 2.4Ghz in most of those test so Jaguar is substantially better IPC than Silvermont. It would be extremely surprising for Silvermont to have better IPC given Jaguar's far better out-of-order engine and it's extremely good instruction latencies.

The Z3770 is running at or near 2.4Ghz in most of those test so Jaguar is substantially better IPC than Silvermont. It would be extremely surprising for Silvermont to have better IPC given Jaguar's far better out-of-order engine and it's extremely good instruction latencies.

Anand lists it as 1.46 ghz. I'm not sure if he had turbo enabled but it was also in a tablet that he tested it

Consoles haven't chosen to go sub 1080p.

It is a question of total system resources. If you need to spend too much of them on resolution, then it's probably not worth it, but if you have plenty of resources then 1080p wouldn't exhaust them too much. I guess time will tell better, but Xbone just doesn't look like a good match for 1080p on any level. 900p or 720p probably makes good sense with it, but having waited many years for a new generation it's still disappointing to wake to this realization.

Except for Forza 5 apparently...

Depends on the game obviously, Forza 5 being a forward renderer game probably doesn't hurt with fitting all the required buffers into the eSRAM, might be a bit harder on a deferred renderer game depending on the size of the buffers and what ones need to stick around.

Anand lists it as 1.46 ghz. I'm not sure if he had turbo enabled but it was also in a tablet that he tested it
It is enable, though there should be more complete review soon.
Anyway it is incredibly good once you take in account the tdp, some people will compare with ARM high end mobile CPU, etc. but if you compare to those old Atom it is nothing less then a giant step.

Other than that, I study the Xbox One architecture and the technology behind it and I can't help it but think it is one of the best consoles in the history of consoles.

ontopic: there was some talk about display panes and how they would revolutionise XBone rendering: for example Ryse backgrounds at 900p, and Ryse characters at 1080p,
Is this possible? Because that way MS can still claim it is rendering at 1080P.

Last edited by a moderator:
No-one cares about you and your PC.

Consoles haven't chosen to go sub 1080p. Developers have chosen to go "sub 1080p" because they know more about graphics than you do.

Maybe I'm wrong but if MicroSoft or Sony wanted, they could strongly "encourage" developers to reach 1080p. There's been issues with false ads, where product say they are "fullHD" and in reality it's something else. Obviously publishers and console manufacturers can avoid this by just talking about it and not printing it on game covers or ads.

But like I said, I happy about sub 1080p for personal (computer) reasons - Even if none cares about me or my PC :cool:

ontopic: there was some talk about display panes and how they would revolutionise XBone rendering: for example Ryse backgrounds at 900p, and Ryse characters at 1080p,
Is this possible? Because that way MS can still claim it is rendering at 1080P.

If it would make such a big difference it would be have been done already, both consoles and even last gen have enough power to do something this with ease.

They'll get more out of the system as they learn more about it. It's as simple as that. Ryse in my opinion looks downright incredible regardless of what resolution it's running at. I don't want devs to get too caught up in what resolution games are rendering at, and instead just make the best possible game that they can. This, of course, doesn't mean I want devs completely losing their minds and going super low res, but you get the idea.

I think Ryse overall looks incredible. I think the particle effects in KZ look incredible. I think the lighting in The Division is remarkable. Do I think they are 5GB of Ram incredible (versus 512 MB in current systems)? No not really.

I havent seen a game yet which made me do a double take, except maybe the Stonehenge scene in Ryse.

Ho hum.

What he said. The real test is: Does it look great? Not: What resolution is it rendered at?

So I guess people should start scrubbing 1080P from the Forza posts since resolution doesn't matter anymore :LOL:

1080P is definitely more of a marketing thing than a technical one for the most part. Lighting, animations frame-rate and such are all more interesting and noticeable to most humans. I wonder how low you can go though, 800p or even 720p ?? Can an upscaled 720P look indistinguishable or close to it from 1080p on a TV screen ?

Kind of reminds me of megapixel ratings with digital camera. 16 or 20 or more Mpix is nice ( especially since you can crop to your hearts content ) but if noise and dynamic range suffer you might be better of with a less ambitious resolution.

I think the particle effects in KZ look incredible. I think the lighting in The Division is remarkable. Do I think they are 5GB of Ram incredible (versus 512 MB in current systems)? No not really.
Particle effects and lighting are mainly bound by processing power, not by memory amount. Particles can be 50 GP/s incredible and lighting can be 5 TFLOP/s incredible, but neither can be 5 GB of RAM incredible :)

A number of benchmarks rend to being bandwidth bound as well, and it appears to me that the Anand review was looking at a 128b part for Intel while Kabini is single channel (64b) only. Bandwidith situation is a completely different kettle of fish on the consoles.

Particle effects and lighting are mainly bound by processing power, not by memory amount. Particles can be 50 GP/s incredible and lighting can be 5 TFLOP/s incredible, but neither can be 5 GB of RAM incredible :)

You are right. Memory is more about textures then? What would 5GB of game ram be used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back