*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, Ryse looks great, anyway...

Also I consider that:

1) Ryse is a cross gen title (it begins on X360)
2) I have read somewhere that in the actual form is in development for only 1,5 years;
3) New hardware, new platform,
4) First implementation of Cryengine;
4) Less straightforward hardware then PS4 (esram, move engines etc...) could probably means and higher learning curve;
5) It is common knowledge that X1 devkits are far behind;
6) Platform hardware specifications closed not so long ago.

Nevertheless Ryse looks really great in my eyes.

Crytek is saving the higher resolutions to the great PC Master Race!! Whahahaha!

To be honest, I do notice the transition from 900p to 1080p in my 50" plasma.. But the IQ is a lot worse in 1080p no-AA than 900p 4x MSAA, for example.

Anyone noticed that before Greenburg's 1080p tweet everyone praised the graphics regardless of the resolution....then when he corrected himself...somehow it's has suddenly become a significant downgrade metric and bad news? :LOL:

They didn't complain because they were looking at bullshots.

They didn't complain because they were looking at bullshots.

Most people who watched the vidoc were impressed by it. Are you saying the vidoc was a bull video?:LOL:

For those who are complaining, have they even seen the SP mode running on X1? I think not...so why are they complaining?

Last edited by a moderator:
No I'm saying it doesn't matter just like when I'm watching a HD CGI movie...if the HD CGI looks good doesn't matter what the native resolution is..;)

Anyone noticed that before Greenburg's 1080p tweet everyone praised the graphics regardless of the resolution....then when he corrected himself...somehow it's has suddenly become a significant downgrade metric and bad news? :LOL:

Really? So in other words if Greenburg hadn't mentioned resolution nothing would have changed people would still have preordered or bought the game without knowing/caring about actual resolution. Seems people are so jaded with their agenda they care more about numbers than what is actually on the screen. I guess people are going to cancel their preorders now...:LOL:

As to hardware power, I'd like to see a racing game that looks next gen running at 1080p 60fps from a competing console. Can someone point me to that game?;)

Ryse is still by far the best looking launch game for either console. In fact, I would argue that the what appears to be a drop in resolution has resulted in the game looking much better than it already did. hence why I stated earlier that it looks like crytek made an IQ versus resolution trade-off.

Ryse looks amazing because exceptional care has been taken to make sure that assets are consistently good and manage to perform without choking the system too much.
Even games like Crysis 3 feel like they're made with the converse approach with scaled up assets and texturing looking really out of place at max settings. If 900p is the price to pay for "cinematic/production" assets, I'd gladly have that. The pixelcount seems good enough to make sure morphological/TXAA work decently, too.

Most people who watched the vidoc were impressed by it. Are you saying the vidoc was a bull video?:LOL:

Behind E3 close doors, Ryse was running on Nvidia GTX based PCs.

http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-e3-demos-were-played-on-windows-gaming-pcs-15286627/

So, anything up to this point means compromises were being made on getting it up and running on XB1. I'm still impressed with Ryse on certain levels, but that doesn't give MS (nor Sony) a pass on saying one thing, then another. Lets discuss which assets or post processing effects are causing frame drops and lower resolution targets with Ryse.

http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-e3-demos-were-played-on-windows-gaming-pcs-15286627/

So, anything up to this point means compromises were being made on getting it up and running on XB1. I'm still impressed with Ryse on certain levels, but that doesn't give MS (nor Sony) a pass on saying one thing, then another. Lets discuss which assets or post processing effects are causing frame drops and lower resolution targets with Ryse.

Ryse, Forza and Ki was shown on Xbox One hardware.

And yes, there were some games that were - categorically, without a shadow of a doubt - running on Xbox One hardware. It'll come as little surprise to learn that first party software was more likely to be showcased running on the new console, with Turn 10's Forza Motorsport 5 the most high profile title we saw that was visibly operating on the actual unit.

About Ryse:

Yes, there's no doubt about it - this is definitely running on "real deal" Xbox One hardware.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-xbox-one

There's no way to know what is causing the frame drops, but it's more likely the sum of all things than one thing in particular. All we know is they lowered the resolution, but so far we have not seen anything to use as a comparison.

Umm, HD CGI movies are rendered in very high resolutions.

Doesn't matter because movies aren't being rendered at those resolutions. Hell even watching a CGI movie using an upscaling DVD player looks good. Good lighting, texturing, modeling, antialiasing trumps resolution.

Old news is old, at the last 2 conventions (games-com and pax) it was on XBO hardware.

There's no way to know what is causing the frame drops, but it's more likely the sum of all things than one thing in particular. All we know is they lowered the resolution, but so far we have not seen anything to use as a comparison.

Thanks Scott for not being combative... :smile:

Lets say hypothetically that the 32MB ESRAM is hampering rendering speed... not that the XB1 can't do 1080p, but with certain games that use a lot of large memory intensive operations and large render assets... could that effect Ryse's current state? Better yet, is there a way around from using the ESRAM?

Old news is old, at the last 2 conventions (games-com and pax) it was on XBO hardware.

I wasn't stating it as such... what I said was "since then?". Meaning; what has happened during development since the E3 presentation that would require such a move (downgrade), if the GTX PC Kits were close to the XB1 SDK specs?

Doesn't matter because movies aren't being rendered at those resolutions. Hell even watching a CGI movie using an upscaling DVD player looks good. Good lighting, texturing, modeling, antialiasing trumps resolution.

Still, downsampled first. They say film is equivalent to about 4k or so. IIRC CGI movies are typically rendered at that res as well, or higher.

If Ryse turns out to look like a Blizzard cinematic except rendered at 900p, I agree, it would be very impressive.

There is a proof that Ryse was running on real Xbox One hardware at E3, not on PC, DigitalFoundry said that, the games running on PC were Crimson Dragon, Lococycle and Dead Rising 3.

and now we´re seeing that multiplatform games will be running with different resolutions (with PS4 rendering 69,44% more pixels) to achieve that parity.

Ryse is not a multiplatform game. We don't know the resolution for multiplatform games yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back