Major League Gaming choose XB1 for COD:Ghosts *spawn

Obviously using the MS developed framework is cheaper than building your own cloud network, but who knows how much cheaper than contracting with Amazon or Rackspace. Big publishers, at least, should be able to negotiate decent deals that cover all their titles, or Sony could negotiate bulk rates for everyone.

I'll have to find the quote, but during the early months of reveal, one of the developers said that the MS Azure platform is cheaper than any other cloud provider, cheaper than amazon or Google or rackspace.

Can't you run linux on azure or does azure has an different programming API?

Yes, they have the ability to run other software on azure such as Linux or oracle databases or even java.

Yes, they have the ability to run other software on azure such as Linux or oracle databases or even java.

It's the same setup as the S3 cloud, running VM's with whatever platform you like. The big difference is the ease of use and accessibility. I find that S3 wins everytime. Azure brings bigger guns to the table though so it's ideal for compute heavy tasks such as rainbow tables etc.

For Titainfall? They've already confirmed dedicated servers for PC.

And Wired is just wrong. We know for a fact it costs money. They misunderstood what it meant when MS said they "provide a cloud platform". MS created a standard environment, but it isn't free.

Obviously using the MS developed framework is cheaper than building your own cloud network, but who knows how much cheaper than contracting with Amazon or Rackspace. Big publishers, at least, should be able to negotiate decent deals that cover all their titles, or Sony could negotiate bulk rates for everyone.

They said PC version will not have the same (Titan Fall).

It's the same setup as the S3 cloud, running VM's with whatever platform you like. The big difference is the ease of use and accessibility. I find that S3 wins everytime. Azure brings bigger guns to the table though so it's ideal for compute heavy tasks such as rainbow tables etc.

Interestingly I would've said Azure winds hands down in the ease of user category, but I suppose it depends on the complexity of the task.

XboxOne does not use hdcp drm flag for a game video out. PS4 is using unless #ps4withouthdcp wins. Yes rippers exist but I guess an official organisation is not keen to use them.

Same what? They have confirmed dedicated servers for the PC version:

If you mean cross-platform play, obviously not.

From the giantbomb video:

Giantbomb:

So what do you do on the PC? Do you have to replicate elements of that structure for your version or do they have something you can use?

Respawn:

We won’t get all the niceties on PC that you get on Xbox One. There will have to be some engineering of things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F8kI_kWIMk

Cam upon this today - Unity coming to Sony consoles blog post.

Of course, we already offer PS3 support and will continue to do so through Unity’s updates. But now we’ll be working with SCE to build out tools for PS4, PS Vita, PSM, and SCE’s upcoming cloud gaming service.
They may mean Gaikai, of maybe Sony are investing in a cloud compute system of their own? They'll need something like that for Gaikai, whether their own or renting, and given the specific demands of Gaikai and need for GPUs, I expect they are fairly dependent on building their own. Sony also said the PSN multiplayer fee is there to support gaming infrastructure.

As for MLG choices, what do they support in the past and why? I can't find any reference to what their platform of choice is for their championships. From the video I get the impression that COD is already on the 360 for the Pro circuit. Given the MLG is very US-centric, and the 360 is the predominant console there, it's no surprise that the XBox consoles would be the more frequently used for cross-platform titles. I can't see any other interpretations that can safely be read into this announcement - more explicit detail is required,

Cam upon this today - Unity coming to Sony consoles blog post.

They may mean Gaikai, of maybe Sony are investing in a cloud compute system of their own? They'll need something like that for Gaikai, whether their own or renting, and given the specific demands of Gaikai and need for GPUs, I expect they are fairly dependent on building their own. Sony also said the PSN multiplayer fee is there to support gaming infrastructure.

Gaikai for PS4 will be availabe until next year, I guess they are talking about gaikai (upcoming cloud gaiming service).

Quite possibly, but hardware can always be repurposed so we could see game serving running on that cloud gaming platform (a PC capable of running COD for remote play is capable of running a game as a server). There may even be an element of server computing necessary for Gaikai, and we have PSN and SOE online services including streaming. It'd be a bit myopic for Sony to invest in an online service structure for all these aspects and yet not include support for load balanced game servers to help fill in downtime, unless a tied party is providing a lot of the server backbone.

It was a decent theory. But MS just signed a deal with Evo to use their hardware wherever possible (both 360 and Xbox One) so I think it's probably just a straight promotional agreement with MLG.

Back