MS's business future, particuarly in mobile space *spawn

Most money goes into business users for one. Giving home users no option to use desktop applications just makes Windows a weaker infrastructure than any other, leveriging none of the advantages, and kililng the main appeal of the system (runs everything). Sure, there are advantages to the simpler systems, but then I would solve that problem differently: Microsoft could release a WinRT only version for Desktop systems and make that free (because fully integrated with the App Store, so the profit can come from just there).

What I would do if I were Microsoft is the following:

- make one WinRT that servers smartphones and tablets alike
- give WinRT App the option to extend their features with Win8 capabilities (run in Window, receive drag & drop)
- give x64/x86 applications the option to fully integrate into the Win8 menu
- make particularly the DeskTop UI prettier. On the Desktop, use transparency as background to the Tile interface, so that you see the Desktop through it. It's a huge psychological win. Use GPU features for animating various parts of the UI - Aero in Win7 was one of the first times ever that Windows actually looked sexy, and the Tile interface is a big step backwards.
I disagree, the users that really needs desktop applications are a niche (or professional users).
Till MSFT pushes vanilla Windows to your average user, devs won't target Windows as hard as they should, IHV will continue to ship bulky laptop and desktop.
IHV and software publishers don't have a clear target to aim at.

And I disagree wrt to start up screen it is more bothering that the start menu (you lose sight of what you were doing). it is more invasive, less structured, etc.
I agree though that the desktop UI could be improved and that charm bar could also be useful.
Now having two types of apps running on a system is uncalled for, Apple was clever enough to pass.

Now sometime I wonder about MSFT "free will" on the matter, that is more RSPC material, but they are are acting a lot like a company that have goals that are broader than its best interest.
Aka they have sustain Norton, Mc Affee etc. It almost look like their goal is to sustain a status quo till actually, less friendly OS (wrt privacy, ownership, etc.) finally take over, against their best interest. With IT being critical to US economy and one may say 'scheme' one can wonder.

So you think Microsoft will be better off not allowing services like Steam to exist?

As soon as you do anything more than consume data (and not use it to create anything), then pfft. Of course a lot of users only do consume, but then a tablet is enough, and your suggestions don't really help all that much.

If I look now at all the reasons people still use desktop machines in the first place, you kill all of those reasons with your suggestions (including stuff like Steam). Doesn't sound like a good plan.

It is in Microsoft's best interest to keep the majority of PC users happy and the idea of cutting out services like Steam will only hurt them further.

So you think Microsoft will be better off not allowing services like Steam to exist?

As soon as you do anything more than consume data (and not use it to create anything), then pfft. Of course a lot of users only do consume, but then a tablet is enough, and your suggestions don't really help all that much.

If I look now at all the reasons people still use desktop machines in the first place, you kill all of those reasons with your suggestions (including stuff like Steam). Doesn't sound like a good plan.
I'm not saying anything about not allowing Steam or other things on vanilla windows.
What I meant is to make clear to software publishers (at large) and IHV, that onward the average users should be targeted throught Windows RT.
The PC market (laptop and desktop) is changing, for an overwhelming part of the costumers Windows is more than they need, "vanilla Windows" should be a niche product so still available but that is it.
Dell and the like s (IHV) still sell cheap vanilla windows laptop (bulky, sucky screen, more storage than needed /detrimental from a business pov to the deployment of MSFT cloud solutions, etc.), and well ChromeOS is gaining momentum, eating MSFT bread. WindowsRT is imo way better than chromeOS, it delivers more functionality, losing share to such restrictive product should not happen imo. Some Laptops, all-in-one ship with Android, google made clear they want Android to be deployed further than phones and tablets.

And that "vanilla" windows niche is really profitable and should remain profitable, but as it is now, they are compromising the experience power users and gamers alike (not to mention pro) want for I don't know what sake when they have a really competent product (Windows RT) to address the masses (which runs both on X86 and ARM which is nice to address the low-end)

EDIT
Sorry guys, what an awful day for English, my posts are terrible..

Last edited by a moderator:
In WindowsRT, desktop needs to become an app that is a file manager with a drag and drop space and nothing more. In other words, desktop shouldn't be eliminated, but drastically scaled back to serve only for file management. This will eliminate the jarring and confusing dual OS aspect of W8.

The sooner WindowRT is pushed for desktop PC's the better. It can become the zero maintenance, low cost desktop computing solution for the low power computing masses while it evolves as an OS and an ecosystem eventually becoming the only Windows.

Most money goes into business users for one. Giving home users no option to use desktop applications just makes Windows a weaker infrastructure than any other, leveriging none of the advantages, and kililng the main appeal of the system (runs everything). Sure, there are advantages to the simpler systems, but then I would solve that problem differently: Microsoft could release a WinRT only version for Desktop systems and make that free (because fully integrated with the App Store, so the profit can come from just there).

What I would do if I were Microsoft is the following:

- make one WinRT that servers smartphones and tablets alike (this is happening as we speak)
- give WinRT App the option to extend their features with Win8 capabilities (run in Window, receive drag & drop) (would be nice)
- give x64/x86 applications the option to fully integrate into the Win8 menu (they do now, if i understand you correctly)
- make particularly the DeskTop UI prettier. On the Desktop, use transparency as background to the Tile interface, so that you see the Desktop through it. (8.1 does this now)

It's a huge psychological win. Use GPU features for animating various parts of the UI - (win 8.1 does this now) Aero in Win7 was one of the first times ever that Windows actually looked sexy, and the Tile interface is a big step backwards. ( i like the Tile interface much more than the desktop interface)

there.

Back