Sony: Press Conference & Tokyo Game Show

"The World Created by Playstation 4" is happening now, streamed live on IGN and TwitchTV.

You are reading stuff from 2012...

Anyhow....

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...e-with-playstation-4-tokyo-game-show-keynote/

As the Tokyo Game Show kicks off here in Japan, Sony will be leading off the proceedings with a keynote presentation entitled "Life With PlayStation 4" at 10:30am local time on Thursday, September 19. (That's 6:30pm Wednesday night on the US West Coast; click here for the start time in your neck of the woods).

Software, I assume. Maybe there was something about the HDCP implementation on PS3 that made it an all or nothing prospect. They could disable protection on debug units, but that would disable it globally, including Blu-ray and streaming video services. They couldn't do that for retail PS3s, but PS4 is coming from a hardware vendor that already can allow selective HDCP protection over HDMI on PC, 360 and Xbox One. So presumably there was no hardware hurdle at all.

wow. sony wants to sell 5 million ps4 consoles this year as per todays event. That's 2-3 million more than what I was expecting :)
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/18/sony-tokyo-game-show-2013-keynote-liveblog/

Five million in a month to a month and a half? sounds pretty crazy, if they have that much stock why only 32 countries at launch?

I believe at a past conference they said they had over one million preorders and have been pretty much out of stock everywhere since does this mean they are planning to sell and produce almost 4x their preorders after launch?

Five million in a month to a month and a half? sounds pretty crazy, if they have that much stock why only 32 countries at launch?

I believe at a past conference they said they had over one million preorders and have been pretty much out of stock everywhere since does this mean they are planning to sell and produce almost 4x their preorders after launch?

by the end of their fiscal year. Which I believe is march . So a nov launch gives them 5 months to sell 5m world wide . Should be very easy esp with the claims of having millions of pre orders already.

by the end of their fiscal year. Which I believe is march . So a nov launch gives them 5 months to sell 5m world wide . Should be very easy esp with the claims of having millions of pre orders already.

Pre-orders aren't sales. It costs nothing to pre-order, it costs $399 or £329 to buy a PS4. Lots of people will pre-order with the intention of buying but be unable too.. maybe the car need fixing or some other essential repair needs to be done.

And I think Sony claimed "over a million" pre-orders, not "millions" of pre-orders. Over a million is between 20% and 40% of their 5,000,000 sales target - IF they translate to sales. See above.

Does it not cost anything to preorder. Last I checked I had to put $50 down at gamestop with my reserve.

Aside from that I'm not sure I get the point of your post.

Pre-orders aren't sales. It costs nothing to pre-order, it costs $399 or £329 to buy a PS4. Lots of people will pre-order with the intention of buying but be unable too.. maybe the car need fixing or some other essential repair needs to be done.

And I think Sony claimed "over a million" pre-orders, not "millions" of pre-orders. Over a million is between 20% and 40% of their 5,000,000 sales target - IF they translate to sales. See above.

One of their guys said "millions" at some point.

For comparison.

PS2 launch

U.S. - October 26, 2000
Japan - March 4, 2000
Europe - November 24, 2000

Sales (cumulative)

Fiscal year ending March 31, 2000 1.41 ( 1 month of sales in Japan)
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2001 10.61 (13 months JP, 5 months US, 4 months EU)

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

5 million is quite impressive considering the Japanese launch date.

For comparison.

PS2 launch

U.S. - October 26, 2000
Japan - March 4, 2000
Europe - November 24, 2000

Sales (cumulative)

Fiscal year ending March 31, 2000 1.41 ( 1 month of sales in Japan)
Fiscal year ending March 31, 2001 10.61 (13 months JP, 5 months US, 4 months EU)

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

5 million is quite impressive considering the Japanese launch date.

I have a feeling this will be PS2 all over again. If the PS4 is going to do a 3:1 ratio over it's competitors again then I am pretty sure we will see the return of the 3rd party exclusive

I have a feeling this will be PS2 all over again. If the PS4 is going to do a 3:1 ratio over it's competitors again then I am pretty sure we will see the return of the 3rd party exclusive

Sony would be more than happy to go back to the 2:1 dominance era. ;) Anyway i don't see, even if PS4 crushed XB1 in sales outside the US, 3rd parties going exclusive. Specially now both consoles are a lot similar and porting should be way easier than in previous generations.

*IF* PS4 outsells XB1 by 3:1, it still likely won't equate to 3rd party exclusives because cross-platform development is so much easier. Any game made for PS3 could reach 40% more customers by releasing on XB1 and PC as well.

Back