Sony: Press Conference & Tokyo Game Show

Relax.

Vita Slim is only announced for Japan, and with the arrival of Slim, Japanese buyers will get their long awaited pricedrop [we got one at gamescom].

Western release Vita Slim and its pricing is not announced.

The Vita got a price cut in Japan at the beginning of this year. The new model is priced a couple dollars under that.

I couldn't disagree more with you if I tried, to be honest. I'm not even going to go into discussion with you on this right now though - the price of the device was just lowered, and the redesign currently only announced for Japan.
I asked here about a price cut cause just after their event I could not find info on the matter. I've been told there was none. If there is a price cut coming it is a step in the right direction, still in my opinion they are moving too slow.
We have no idea if the redesign allows them to lower the price further at this point. We do know that a VitaTV device is possible at $99, probably, so that does give an indication of where things could go, but that's just about all. And I woud be pretty sure that Sony knew in advance that phones would 'pass' it two or so years out. They went with comparatively off-the-shelves part this time, and I'm amused to think that you feel the parts weren't 'off-the-shelves' enough.
There is no new silicon that for sure. It is know that they tweaked slightly both the CPU and GPU which prevent them to jump aggressively on a new node using ready to integrate IP. I'm not sure about how the SOC is put together and how it connects to 2 pools of memory but it could impact price too.
Overall I don't get either how you can disagree, I could agree that there are good games and more good games coming, that the device feels really high end, that the screen is great (and the new one doesn't look bad either, far from that). It pushes really good graphics at launch and devs targeting only a given piece of silicon makes up for its lacking vs more up to date tech.
But I don't see how what the tech did for the system (and I mean tweaked, CPU and GPU, 2 pool of ram), a proper SoC with UMA and sane RAM would have crushed the 3ds anyway. Now it is obvious that something is holding their ability to jump to the 28nm node. May the system have found its audience they would have not been under pressure to shrink (and lower the price or increase their margins) but it is not doing well.
How many people do you know that are not buying a Vita now, that would have bought it at $50 less? I mean, there are always people who will at some point see their price-want threshold crossed, but not many people have a Vita even on their radar. Those that do, would need certain games more than anything else.
I know none, all the owners of the psp I know were mostly pirating games, and bought the system for its amazing media capabilities. I think that at this point they would not even consider the PSV they would buy a tablet (ipad, nexus, etc.) in that price range. It simply does so much more "overall". Now I think that is a pretty good representation of the market outside of Japan (where handheld have still a lot more traction than in the other regions of the world), so there is no easy road to success on that segment at a time when costumer habits are evolving significantly.
My pov is Sony should have save money on silicon and put more money on the software (OS), and aim at lower price.
Now you pov may be is that Sony successfully aimed at tiny niche, I would only partly agree as they might have reached it but I don't think that they are making money now and should do something close of "epsilon" throughout the lifespam of the product.

Tokyo Game Show floor map revealed, Battlefield 4 confirmed as playable on PlayStation 4

These maps are a little on the busy side so here’s a list of this year’s main exhibitors, working from Hall 1 to Hall 8:

- Electronic Arts
- Bushi Road
- Gungho Online Entertainment
- Sega
- Game Device Area (MadCatz, AVerMedia Technologies, Answer)
- Rocket Company
- Arc System Works
- Bethesda Softworks
- AMD Japan
- Square Enix
- Microsoft Japan
- Namco Bandai Games
- Sony Computer Entertainment
- GREE/Pokelabo
- Wargaming Japan
- Capcom
- Cyber Games Asia

“The World Created by Playstation 4”

Just a friendly reminder... thanks dumbo11!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...specification-of-ps4-and-its-exclusive-games/

The second and more mysterious will be held on September the 19th at 10:30 AM local time, and will be titled “The World Created by Playstation 4”. So far we didn’t have much information on its contents and topics, and interestingly enough even the title is still officially marked as “tentative” just three days before it’s held.

“Playstation 4” is the next generation computer entertainment system which will be released by Sony Computer Entertainment towards the end of this year, 2013. Detailed specification of this latest system and its exclusive software titles and the new gaming experience that can be realized with the “Playstation 4” platform will be introduced together with the latest information.

Colours can be wildly different between all displays, even between versions of the same model TV, which is why there exists colour calibration.

http://www.gamefront.com/anything-else-sony-set-to-make-ps4-tokyo-game-show-keynote/

Sony is set to make the opening keynote to kick off the 2013 Tokyo Game Show with a presentation titled, “Life with PlayStation 4.” And even if tonight’s address is The Last Guardian- and virtual reality-free, well, there’s always tomorrow. Sony has a second TGS presser scheduled for September 19, “The World Created by PlayStation 4.”

Tonight’s presentation is set to begin at 9 p.m. Eastern (6 p.m. Pacific) and it will be live-streamed via Nico Nico. Sony notes that tonight’s presser will be catered to Asian territories, so it’s unclear if that stream will include an English translation. Tomorrow, though, is a different story, and that’s when we’re likely to see anything new.

SCE president and group CEO Andrew House will lead “The World Created by PlayStation 4″ address, and here is how it’s billed by Sony: “PlayStation 4 is the next generation computer entertainment system which will be released by Sony Computer Entertainment towards the end of this year, 2013. Detailed specification of this latest system and its exclusive software titles and the new gaming experience that can be realized with the PlayStation 4 platform will be introduced together with the latest information.” This presser starts at 9 p.m. EST tomorrow and will also be live-streamed by Nico Nico.

Isn't the “The World Created by PlayStation 4″ in ~4/5 hours from. It should be Sept 19th already in Japan.

Isn't the “The World Created by PlayStation 4″ in ~4/5 hours from. It should be Sept 19th already in Japan.

That's because you're looking at it from the American time and date perspective. TGS pre-conference officially started today (19th) in Tokyo, Japan. The first Sony press conference will be held tonight at 9pm Eastern Time (US), or 10am Japan Standard Time (Japan). The second press conference will be held tomorrow (19th US / 20th Japan) at 9pm Eastern Time (US), or 10am JST (Japan).

As I stated before, the dates and times given are for the American media, press, gamers, etc... to follow/tune in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Braced for disappointment :p

So said the troll... :p

Anyhow, I expect some new games to be announced and possibly demoed - but nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing that would shock me; would be the announcement of the PS4 hardware being fully backwards compatible... but that's not going to happen for many reasons.

Braced for disappointment :p
Yeah, I've already pre-written my quick reply if I want to express disappointment, and also a positive one if it ends up being surprising.

I knew it, I told you so! They didn't announce anything new, there was nothing interesting there except japanese games for some unknown reason, maybe it's because it's a japanese audience but that doesn't make sense. And what about the horrible downclock, did they lie to us? bait and switch? 600MHz is just crap. The last straw was when they said Last Guardian was officially canceled because the game sucked too much! They cancel TLG, I cancel my PS4.
Oh! Yes! A super upclock! Sony's engineering at their finest. Also I told you the Last Guardian would be back and you didn't believe me! And all these amazing new western games being shown at a japanese show, that's really sending the message that they care about the US. Wow! And that second SoC? Unbelievable!
Okay, maybe it's going to be somewhere in between. But the limits of my expectations are set... I CANNOT be disappointed nor surprised.

Okay, maybe it's going to be somewhere in between. But the limits of my expectations are set... I CANNOT be disappointed nor surprised.

Sony could cancel PS4 and say they are now fully software company operating with steambox and xbone platforms.

That's because you're looking at it from the American time and date perspective. TGS pre-conference officially started today (19th) in Tokyo, Japan. The first Sony press conference will be held tonight at 9pm Eastern Time (US), or 10am Japan Standard Time (Japan). The second press conference will be held tomorrow (19th US / 20th Japan) at 9pm Eastern Time (US), or 10am JST (Japan).

As I stated before, the dates and times given are for the American media, press, gamers, etc... to follow/tune in.

No, "Life with Playstation" already happened (http://www.stageselect.com/N5359-sony-announces-final-fantasy-xx2-hd-remaster-for-p.aspx).

"The World Created by Playstation 4" (the one we are all interested in), begins in just a few minutes and will be streamed live on IGN.

Back