Sony rumoured to be developing VR headset for PS4 *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. From wikipedia, they didn't add anything for higher speed in 4.0. The main focus was adding "+BLE" (ultra low power) and it's backward compatible with "+HS" (wifi piggyback 24Mb/s) and "+EDR" (3Mb/s). But if it's mandatory it's basically 24Mb for real, whatever they use to get it. From the BT doc, the highspeed is an optional PHY that isn't integrated, so I guess it's optional. "achieving faster throughput by momentary use of a secondary radio already present in the device."

Last edited by a moderator:
The headset is almost certainly going to be one screen divided into two views, due to the cost of manufacture. Presumably a 1080p screen, so it'll be 960x1080 / eye.

Why would higher than 1080p be useless? If the problem is the pixel size and gap between the pixels, then the more the better. It's not the image quality that is the major driver for higher resolution in VR, it's how easily discernible the sub pixels are. Up-scaling from 1080 or even 720p to 1440p would look fine IMO. Put your face within 5 inches of a 20-27" 1080p screen and you will see the problem, the pixel quality degradation that up-scaling would bring is far less of an issue.
Everything you say is correct. But imagine the ridicule if Sony were to offer a VR set whose resolution is not met by any of their games.

I wouldn't get too tied up in resolution, more is better, but it's not the only consideration in these sorts of applications. Things like the arrangement of the color sub pixels and the fill density are equally important to a good picture. And that's not even getting into the optics, which if not designed well make the choice of screen irrelevant.
I doubt the volumes that the Rift or even a Sony HMD would be projected to move would justify a custom display, so they'll be looking for something off the shelf and that will mean compromises.

Sony is limited with resolution and image bandwidth because of HDMI on PS4. They will use 1080p screen and maybe 72Hz strobing [Crystal Cove used that kind of refresh rate apparently].

Do you remember GT5 240fps demo on FED screen ? It uses four PS3. Maybe they can connect multiple PS4 to get 240fps on whatever resolution it's needed. I believe Sony do have the technology to overcome the limit of PS4, if they want to.

Do you remember GT5 240fps demo on FED screen ? It uses four PS3. Maybe they can connect multiple PS4 to get 240fps on whatever resolution it's needed. I believe Sony do have the technology to overcome the limit of PS4, if they want to.

Wouldn't this be a bit expensive for the customer?

If we get a Sony VR, I guess they just solve it the standard way: by software, ie making the games such that they run acceptable. They did they same last gen with 3d, without resorting to parallel PS3s...

if the game runs at 1080p then they can just cut it to 900p or worse case 720p and should be okay .

I just hope sony does this right and its not half assed. If its half assed like the eye toy or some of their other stuff then they could set adoption of vr back years

HipHopGamer has released few tidbits of info gathered from his sources about upcoming Sony VR unveil at GDC [he has connections, but he makes mistakes sometimes]. He talks about VR in the opening 3 minutes of the video:

- He's not sure if its 720p or 1080p
- Sony aims to support not only games but also entertainment [VR Cinema]
- Games are in the works, with few ready to be showcased now
- It's wireless

This last part is the only big news. That would be great design win if they could manage to achieve stable image quality and ultra low lag at low distance without wires. Sure, then battery life will start playing bigger role [hopefully they are aiming at more than 3hr of juice] and price will surely be larger than some basic Oculus Rift model. But with wireless, casual users will be much more easier to attract to try apps that cover entertainment, travel, fitness [no wires is essential for fitness].

We are 2 days avay from unveil, soon we will know for sure what are they cooking.

If they're going wireless, IMO they need an 'external' battery pack that you wear on your waist. Maybe the battery weight can be comfortably integrated into the headset, but keep the headset light is paramount.

Sony may win some mindshare if they can create oversized video walkthroughs. Release videos at higher resolution where the user can look around, eg. the underwater vids that made HD so attractive. Do a 3D one where there's some degrees either side of the video stream where the viewer can look around. If done in software, it'd be possible for stream 360 degree video, but 3D BRDs would be more likely to gain retail traction (not that I think that's likely!).

HipHopGamer has released few tidbits of info gathered from his sources about upcoming Sony VR unveil at GDC [he has connections, but he makes mistakes sometimes]. He talks about VR in the opening 3 minutes of the video:

- He's not sure if its 720p or 1080p
- Sony aims to support not only games but also entertainment [VR Cinema]
- Games are in the works, with few ready to be showcased now
- It's wireless

This last part is the only big news. That would be great design win if they could manage to achieve stable image quality and ultra low lag at low distance without wires. Sure, then battery life will start playing bigger role [hopefully they are aiming at more than 3hr of juice] and price will surely be larger than some basic Oculus Rift model. But with wireless, casual users will be much more easier to attract to try apps that cover entertainment, travel, fitness [no wires is essential for fitness].

We are 2 days avay from unveil, soon we will know for sure what are they cooking.

They are probably going to use the same technology they use for Remote play

They are probably going to use the same technology they use for Remote play

It would be great if they could upgrade Remote Play for both VR and Vita, enabling 720p @ 60Hz and much lower latency. Current latency is not good for VR, but it is OKish for Vita and its gamepad controls. As for wireless connection at 720p60... its possible that they can make it work. But its not gonna be easy.

edit -
As noted by gofreak on GAF, the best candidate for wireless VR transfer protocol is Wireless HD:
- 28 Gbit/s, more bandwith than Display Port 1.2 [21.6 Gbps/s]
- 1080p60 with <1ms of lag
- support for 4K, all common 3D standards, HDCP, low powered mode for both transmitter and receiver
- point to point non line-of-sight support for up to 10m [they use 60 GHz for communication :runaway:]

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if they could upgrade Remote Play for both VR and Vita, enabling 720p @ 60Hz and much lower latency. Current latency is not good for VR, but it is OKish for Vita and its gamepad controls. As for wireless connection at 720p60... its possible that they can make it work. But its not gonna be easy.

edit -
As noted by gofreak on GAF, the best candidate for wireless VR transfer protocol is Wireless HD:
- 28 Gbit/s, more bandwith than Display Port 1.2 [21.6 Gbps/s]
- 1080p60 with <1ms of lag
- support for 4K, all common 3D standards, HDCP, low powered mode for both transmitter and receiver
- point to point non line-of-sight support for up to 10m [they use 60 GHz for communication :runaway:]

Sony probably will just use the wireless solution that they used in HMZ-T3W. Not as good, but kinda acceptable.

I am more interested in the lenses that they will use (hoping for bigger ones than HMZ-T3W and if they need to pre-warp the image I'm hoping it's done in hardware, rather than software like the Rift. With HMZ-T3W Sony actually managed to warp the image in hardware, so here hoping the device will at least work with standard Bluray player with the Cinema experience done in hardware too. Probably will make the device expensive though.

I'm still on the fence on buying HMZ-T3W (the device is very cluttered unlike HMZ-T2), so I'll see their VR solution first and the timetable before making my final decision.

Wouldn't this be a bit expensive for the customer?

If we get a Sony VR, I guess they just solve it the standard way: by software, ie making the games such that they run acceptable. They did they same last gen with 3d, without resorting to parallel PS3s...

Well most likely, but it can be done in the processor unit. So all you have to do is just connect how many PS4s you're willing to purchase to it. I'm just saying Sony does have the technology to do 240Hz, they've demoed it before. GT5 can also make use parallel PS3s to do surround gaming. So you know they've done it as an option.

3D games on PS3 comes with a bit too much trade off in most games I tried. But damn it I like the 3D. The thing is with VR, lag can make people nauseous, so hope they solved that and one solution is to run it at 240Hz. Plus 240Hz gives immersion advantages that they discovered from the 240Hz GT5 demo.

Like Palmer said, software can't fix this, the hardware need to get faster, Occulus doesn't have the hardware but Sony does. Sony have the technology to pull it off. Now price, it'll probably be expensive :(

Being wireless is interesting. Not too concerned about battery life, though. For health reasons they'll probably want to discourage long play sessions anyway, just like Occulus Rift. I'm guessing the transmitter box will include an HDMI passthrough so people will be able to switch between the TV and the VR without swapping cables around.

Pls Sony, give us full PC support and integrated VRCinema app [in headset or in transmitter box] so that all 2D content can be easily viewed.

8cb955M.png

2yGehqF.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back