Sony rumoured to be developing VR headset for PS4 *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
There a only so much that can be done, for a wide FOV with conventional optics you have to have a large screen, and space for the optics.

The camera gives them an absolute reference for position tracking, without it it's very hard to eliminate yaw creep.

they said they look at multipule systems, magnets, kennect style systems but in the end a camera and IR are currently winning because of the low latency of the tracking. the Oculus guy said for consumer kit they want 20ms from input to puxel change, the current demo is 30-40ms.

The 3D in GT5 is awesome!

GT5 has setting for both separation and convergence, where most games normally have only one slider for 3D. The GT5 menu is kinda hard to navigate at certain 3D setting though.

Any other games have both setting to play around ?

My only wish for GT5 is that, you can view your 3D setting changes in real time as you change the separation and convergence. BTW have they patched in 3D for GT6 yet ?

The wait for VR is killing me, I want to try to build one. I can pull apart my HMZ-T2 micro OLEDs, is it possible to create high FOV VR using it ? What lenses do I need ? I probably can build it out of cardboard.

The wait for VR is killing me, I want to try to build one. I can pull apart my HMZ-T2 micro OLEDs, is it possible to create high FOV VR using it ? What lenses do I need ? I probably can build it out of cardboard.

You can create your own Oculus Rift from cardboar if you want, there are instructions on several VR forums. You need one big screen though.

There are also solutions that use mobile phones. Cheap plastic rigging, 2 lenses, and slot for your mobile phone to be inserted in. :)

I've been so busy, don't know when I will have the time. But what sort of lenses do I need and where can I acquire them ?

Maybe we'll finally learn what the DS4 front connector was planned for.

And hopefully a new Move controller, with their weird wire-mesh tactile feedback.

I dunno. When I played Manhunt I used to wear a hockey mask to make it more realistic... :oops::LOL:
xDDDDDD He is the man behind the mask.... What an AMAZING song btw!
"He is back, and he is out of control".

Now back on topic, I can understand blackjedi reservations about VR, 'cos I'd like some kind of simple VR glasses, if that was possible. Still, to me something like VR is a must on the PS4, it makes the console different, s to speak.

Don't get me wrong I think its cool to.pretend I'm in the game. I just can't imagine anything but fatigue and overstimulation. I don't watch 3d movies for the same reason.

Don't get me wrong I think its cool to.pretend I'm in the game. I just can't imagine anything but fatigue and overstimulation. I don't watch 3d movies for the same reason.

I'm actually really looking forward to trying it out, and I think I would get a VR headset that was affordable, but I can't imagine using it as my primary way of gaming. You're too cut off form the world, especially if you're also using headphones. You would have no idea if your phone was ringing. You wouldn't hear the doorbell. Living in a house with other people, you'd be totally unaware of what they were doing around you. Same with pets. What time of day is it? Who knows. Did you miss dinner? Who knows. Just doesn't seem like a healthy way to do all your gaming. That said, would it be fucking awesome to play a shooter on PS4 with a VR headset for an hour? Yes.

If you game like you watch movies, setting aside some time and avoiding most interruptions, it's perfectly tenable IMO. The problem would be managing your gaming and not having 'just a quick 30 minutes' that runs over into hours. I expect VR tech will start to factor in time limits and reminders and stuff as needed. My major concern would be the potential addictiveness. Kids can already blow most of their time on computer games. Even more immersive games could well see some of them not wanting to enter the real world at all. I'd say the less money a household has, and so the less real-world opportunities, the more chance that they'd become VR vegetables.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC – and it represents virtual reality gaming’s greatest hope
http://www.edge-online.com/news/son...esents-virtual-reality-gamings-greatest-hope/

Sony will reveal its Oculus Rift-beating VR headset at GDC next week, according to developers familiar with the tech.

A prototype is already in some thirdparty developers’ hands, who have told us that Sony’s VR headset is far superior to Oculus Rift’s first incarnation, though that is expected to even out a little with the arrival of Rift’s new, more advanced Crystal Cove devkit. They also said that there’s little software to speak of currently, but they expect to see something from one of Sony’s firstparty studios at GDC, even if it is just a tech demo.

:yes: :runaway:

My prediction - 1080p screen, great low-latency tracking, DriveClub demo, support for all 2D content to be shown in virtual cinema mode. As for price... who knows. I'm hoping for the best [~$250].

Will they be going with an OR clone, a single large screen and lenses? Or dual smaller (3.5"?) screens? I doubt we'll see their tiny OLED display as its too expensive.

Bit silly comparing a final release (presumably) product to an Alpha version of a product. Even Crystal Cove will be bettered by the OR final release.

Still the match up of the two final products - not to mention the relative release dates will make for an interesting showdown.

Regarding the Sony device, I'd say 1080p screens is almost a given considering that's the target resolution of the console (higher would be useless) and lower would limit some games. That said, dual 1080p feeds at decent framerates (which in VR terms should be 60+) shouldn't be expected with anything more than the most basic graphics, i.e. last gen level at best.

I read somewhere that for VR to work perfectly you need something like 1080p at least per eye and 90fps (I guess it was Valve presentation where they talked about the right VR experience or so).

Can GGs interlace interpolation trick help out the PS4...as it seems to me that PS4 is missing the computational power to proper support VR with shiny graphics (heck, even Dead Nation is 'only' 1080p/30fps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back