Why is MS not supporting Media Centre with XB1? *spawn

From what I've seen Plex doesn't handle DRM at all.

Plex is based on XBMC so it doesn't have any DRM capabilities.

So if we abolish cable company DRM we are in good shape! Let's start a twitter campaign and see how far we can get.. ;))

I know the work around, I just don't want to keep all my 360's in play - they are great in the winter granted.

So for now I will HDMI in a 360, have it boot straight to media center and try and work X1 to get all the IR codes right.

Edit: I have a few MS devs/employees, some directx guys, and one first party dev on my friends list and a few of them are using Media Center (360) on a daily basis. For whatever that is worth. Ha

I canceled my preorder already. Will pick it up when ms actually demos these features or people start getting the units. I dont even know if it would control my htpc

Do they even support HDMI-CEC? IR Blaster seems so archaic in modern times.

Do they even support HDMI-CEC? IR Blaster seems so archaic in modern times.

They do, but I guess they changed the main approach to IR because it was practically... foolproof. One can eschew some elegance if the damn thing works. :LOL:

They do, but I guess they changed the main approach to IR because it was practically... foolproof. One can eschew some elegance if the damn thing works. :LOL:

Right, you can use Kinect 2 IR, or a separate IR blaster, or HDMI-cec.

Update on Win8.1 RTM - media center is working and 360's are working correctly as extenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump from the past - new real info!

I plugged my 360 into the Xbox One, and set the 360 to boot directly to Media Center.

While I do not really want both consoles on to watch TV, it works so I will live with it for now.

One Guide changes channels correctly for the 360 media center, and a nice bonus is that I can pause live or recorded TV with voice (or X1 contoller). Voice skipping forward and back seems to work fine.

(sorry, holding a twin and feeding him while trying to type, so I will update this more later) I am surprised out how well it seems to be working, I am using smartglass in place of keeping the old controller around.

Bump from the past - new real info!

I plugged my 360 into the Xbox One, and set the 360 to boot directly to Media Center.

While I do not really want both consoles on to watch TV, it works so I will live with it for now.

One Guide changes channels correctly for the 360 media center, and a nice bonus is that I can pause live or recorded TV with voice (or X1 contoller). Voice skipping forward and back seems to work fine.

(sorry, holding a twin and feeding him while trying to type, so I will update this more later) I am surprised out how well it seems to be working, I am using smartglass in place of keeping the old controller around.

Too bad the HDMI IN latency isn't better or you'd have solved BC as well. What type of STB do you tell the XBO your 360 is in order to control it?

When I had a second TV on in the same room I could tell it was slightly off, it seemed more like an audio echo. It might be suitable for certain style of single player non-twitch games. Of course your mileage may vary. A friend has his XB360 running through his XB1, but he hasn't had much free time to game on either one. I'll ask him what his children think of that setup to see if they notice it -- of course they're not playing twitch-style games.

Back