Resogun [PS4] [free on console launch via PS+]

DieH@rd

Legend
Developed by Housemarque
Spiritual successor of Super Stardust HD
5 worlds on launch, online coop
1080p60

Dem particles :runaway:

Just FYI for everyone, according to eurogamer....

Everyone who buys a PS4 (launch PS4?) gets 2 months of PS plus free, so this game will be free for those 2 months you activate PS plus for.

MOD EDIT: It's 2 weeks, not 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone who buys a PS4 (launch PS4?) gets 2 months of PS plus free, so this game will be free for those 2 months you activate PS plus for. MOD EDIT: It's 2 weeks, not 2 months.
PS+ freebies at the time of launch (ps3, vita, ps4, with additional gifts resogun, driveclub, killzone multiplr online crowd) are playable during 2wk subscription. Then locked until sub is reactivated. Smart PR stunt indeed.

"The entire environment - everything - is built up from these voxels," explains Kruger. "All of the cubes that you see flying around - there's no gimmick, no point sprites, it's not a particle effect, they're actual physical cubes. In gameplay, dynamic cubes with collisions, floating around, you can get up to 200,000. Our engine supports up to 500,000 but in actual gameplay scenarios, it rarely goes over 200K."

Damn. This generation of consoles will be awesome.

SSHD got so many hours of my life, looks like Resogun will rival it. Another reason to get a PS4 :)

Looks amazing, just that it seems a bit wee easy to play as an old school tribute.

edit; oops scrap that!

(geometry is still heavily instanced though- so I wouldn't say it's that taxing to render)

The DF vids indeed look very impressive. No doubt next gen already proves it can greatly benefit a 2.5D shooter, one of the genres that would supposedly be "tapped out".

I am not sure I would like how you just go around a circle as opposed to a traditional shooter, but whatever. It's not like I ever play shooters either way really. I recall trying a few on XBLA this gen but as usual quickly lost interest in them.

Kind of almost reminds me of Geometry Wars in a weird way.

That article is fantastic !

We're using compute shaders for a lot of things like the Overdrive particles you see later, the lightning up there - that's all done on GPU. The actual cubes - the physics and the collisions that you see bouncing, the geometry - that's all done on the GPU-side,

"For the ring, it's the same thing as the background but slightly different tech because here we have one 3D texture that's basically one long rectangular prism. We use these bent cubes, or curved cubes - that's a better way of putting it. Every time an explosion happens these are essentially detached from the world.

As our discussion continues, a native 1080p60 is confirmed, with a deferred lighting system in place for theoretically illuminating the scene with hundreds of light sources, but Housemarque is surprisingly restrained in its usage.

"Practically, it would just be too noisy visually," he explains

Resogun has only been in development for 18 months, and the quality of this code - which almost maintains its 1080p60 target - is exceptionally good. For a game that emphasis GPU compute so much, for Housemarque to have come so far so quickly is testament to the skills of its development team. Development of this PS4-specific game must surely have begun on unfinished hardware, and Kruger acknowledges that this is the case. When I suggest that coding for PS4 so specifically on prototype hardware must have been exceptionally challenging, the response is a simple "indeed".

and also custom AA solution.

"The entire environment - everything - is built up from these voxels," explains Kruger. "All of the cubes that you see flying around - there's no gimmick, no point sprites, it's not a particle effect, they're actual physical cubes. In gameplay, dynamic cubes with collisions, floating around, you can get up to 200,000. Our engine supports up to 500,000 but in actual gameplay scenarios, it rarely goes over 200K."

Damn. This generation of consoles will be awesome.

With the caveat that what Housemarque did with Super Stardust HD on the Playstation 3 was also pretty much technically untouched by any other developer on any other platform, especially after their 3D optimisation (though to be fair there were probably some crazy water effects in Uncharted 3 that got pretty close), which also brought 1080p @60fps to the main game, even in co-op mode.

I can't immediately find a 1080p Youtube clip, but right now it almost looks more impressive (certainly aesthetically) than Resogun, imho. But clearly Resogun is going to go beyond it in many ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dPLNJ6imixs#t=624

As a oldschool demoscener and shoot-em-up -lover, got spine chilling shivers from that 60fps video.
Holey moley! Looks just fantastic!

This is what happens when you embed a 45 Meg image in a post combined with all your other questionable behavior. You earn yourself a nice two week time-out.

So lots of voxels ( both systems can do voxels of course ) does make for an intriguing presentation. Defender in a cylinder with voxels instead of sprites. Easier controls than the arcade version :D

Back