Xbox One: DirectX 11.1+ AMD GPU , PS4: DirectX 11.2+ AMD GPU what's the difference?

Then please correct.

I believe there's also "tier 0" which I assume means tiled resources is unsupported. But that's rather uninteresting.

I don't think he can come out & say what it is but he is letting us know that it is a difference between the 2 hardware wise.

Yeah, I think it's a case of him only being able to confirm or refute based on public knowledge, and providing a public quote as a clue. We're just being a bit too dense to pick up on it ATM!

Hehehe this is fun! :)

Could it be an assumption that gcn is where _all_ the dx11.2 magic happens.
The within could mean that there is additional tech inside that gives it the full capabilities.

How are the tiles managed and pulled in etc.
Would it have any actual performance and tangible efficiencies if not done in hardware?
Move engines, MMU?

How you know it?

Just kidding ! ;)

Tiled resources has two feature levels - the first requires DX11_0 hardware feature level as the base while the second tier requires DX11_1 feature level as the base.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1760037&postcount=6797

The GTX 680 supports DirectX 11.1 with hardware feature level 11_0, including all optional features.This includes a number of features useful for game developers such as:
Partial constant buffer updates
Logic operations in the Output Merger
16bpp rendering
UAV-only rendering
Partial clears
Large constant buffers
We did not enable four non-gaming features in Hardware in Kepler (for 11_1):
Target-Independent Rasterization (2D rendering only)
16xMSAA Rasterization (2D rendering only)
Orthogonal Line Rendering Mode
UAV in non-pixel-shader stages
So basically, we do support 11.1 features with 11_0 feature level through the DirectX 11.1 API. We do not support feature level 11_1. This is a bit confusing, due to Microsoft naming. So we do support 11.1 from a feature level for gaming related features."

some AMD hardware from the 7000 series come only with the hardware feature level 11_0, as they are rebranded products from 6000 series of products (Northern Islands GPU architecture). It is rumored that the upcoming Kepler refresh (rumored GK112, GK114 and 117) will feature full hardware feature level 11_1 as well.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1760169&postcount=6799

Then please correct.
Where's the fun in that! :p But seeing as you're all groping blindly, I'll further paraphrase the statement - Tiled resources will be supported across the HD 7000 Series and Tiled Resources Teir-2 is supported within the HD 7000 Series...

So what do we know by looking at Dave's quote and anything that has been stated on slides or during presentations from MS and Sony?

Dave seems to push the tier1 vs tier2 distinction. So all HD7000 series cards will support tiled resources, either tier1 or tier2. There are some old HD6000 (feature level 11_0) series cards that have been renamed to 7000 cards and since only hardware feature level 11_0 is required to support some form of tiled resources (most likely tier 1) all this cards are able to support PRT/tiled resources.
However, tier2 seems to be only supported by some 7000 series cards. We speculate that these are the cards based on GCN that support tier2, not the older VLIW cards (renamed 6000s).

We also know that in order to support 11.2, the hardware does not have to have 11.1 capabilities but only 11.0.

So, Sony claiming 11.2+ capabilities could actually mean that they do not necessarily possess 11.1 capabilities (hence only tier1 PRTs), while Microsoft's slides state 11.1+ capabilities, which could mean that there are actually hardware differences between both: I guess I am missing something and this goes against everything we believe to know about Sony's PS4 hardware, but is it possible that Sony could have a custom-made HD6000 series card, with upped amount of ACEs among other stuff, which would allow it to claim 11.2 caps but not necessarily 11.1? This speculation is just based on what I've summarized above. But then again, the ~1.8TFlops @ 800MHz with 18CUs number that Sony states would lead to GCN-based hardware, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, MS mentioning 11.1+ capabilities leads us to believe that their hardware actually supports the full 11.1 featureset and by extension also 11.2?

Please don't be too harsh on me. I'm just combining some facts with (bad?) logic here :D

Where's the fun in that! :p But seeing as you're all groping blindly, I'll further paraphrase the statement - Tiled resources will be supported across the HD 7000 Series and Tiled Resources Teir-2 is supported within the HD 7000 Series...

willardjuice said:
("real" 7xxx cards, xb1, ps4, etc.).

If we are talking about the same thing (which we could very well not be), all GCN based 7xxx cards should support tier 2. I'm guessing 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx (rebadged, non-gcn) cards are tier 1.

Or are you saying not all GCN based cards support tier 2 (in which case, please elaborate)?

Whats is "DX 11.2+" other than something AMD and Sony invented. Unless you can know what the "+" entails when examining 11.1+ and 11.2+, you can't parse out a difference. The only thing that can practically be said is that the naming convention is different.

11.1+ contains Xbox one specific components and is more of a forked version of Direct X instead of lying directly within the hierarchy of MS's naming convention of Direct X as it pertains to PC gpus. When Sony says the PS4 is 11.2+, it probably does so without addressing 11.1+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the "Tiled Resources" the ".2" thing? maybe the ".1+" in Xbox One means a different "tiled resources" than the ".2" (just guessing).

If we are talking about the same thing (which we could very well not be), all GCN based 7xxx cards should support tier 2. I'm guessing 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx (rebadged, non-gcn) cards are tier 1.

Or are you saying not all GCN based cards support tier 2 (in which case, please elaborate)?

I thought only the Tahiti and Bonaire had tier 2 support. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Radeon™ HD 7000 series hardware architecture is fully DirectX 11.2-capable when used with a driver that enables this feature.

All models up to including HD 76xx are based on VLIW5 ISA, HD 77xx-79xx are based on GCN (Graphics Core Next) architecture. does this mean we will see dx11.2 on other vliw5 cards ? how about vliw4 ?

All models up to including HD 76xx are based on VLIW5 ISA, HD 77xx-79xx are based on GCN (Graphics Core Next) architecture. does this mean we will see dx11.2 on other vliw5 cards ? how about vliw4 ?
Sounds like they all support dx11.2 at least tier 1, but gcn ones support tier 2.

Would be a turn up for the books if PS4 is tier 2 and XB1 is tier 1. :LOL:

I would still like to know what the actual difference between tier 1 & 2 when possibly having to do some of it in the driver.

Jay said:
Sounds like they all support dx11.2 at least tier 1, but gcn ones support tier 2.

This was my understanding and I think Dave just misinterpreted my post. We'll see.

Jay said:
Would be a turn up for the books if PS4 is tier 2 and XB1 is tier 1.

This makes no sense. Either both will or will not support it. It's a moot point since both do.

Jay said:
I would still like to know what the actual difference between tier 1 & 2 when possibly having to do some of it in the driver.

The differences have already been outlined. One is a purely software implementation (tier 1), the other is PRT (tier 2).

The main benefits of PRT: you can use regular sampling, anisotropic filtering, and the page-table lookup is free (source) .

Free is one thing, but how much is the cost otherwise.
I don't remember that vid actually saying, if it does I'll go back and rewatch it.
Not sure if can be said until benchmarked though...

Back