Nintendo revolutionizes portable 3D gaming! Announcing 2DS

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
...By squeezing three dimensions down to two.

Yup, the new 2DS is a 3DS, without the 3D. And without some other stuff too, such as a hinge. And stereo speakers.

No joke.

It still has the 3D cameras so you can take pictures that you wont be able to view!

I think this is a precursor to the next Nintendo portable design. Imagine that, but thinner, and with 1 large hi-res screen.

I think this is a precursor to the next Nintendo portable design. Imagine that, but thinner, and with 1 large hi-res screen.

You mean something like this? :runaway:

203173-wii-u-tablet_header.jpg

2DS is basically wuublet turned 90 degrees, minus the wuu-specific features... It's a bit surprising Nintendo wasn't more daring and instead chose to mask that big(ish) screen with a big honkin plastic bezel. The photochops done for the Ars article I linked in my previous post look really interesting. Add an improved SoC underneath the plastic shell (preferably a PowerVR-based unit) and you'd have a kickass portable.

...Of course, there'd be (virtually) no new software for it, other than what ninty could have whipped up themselves in a hurry, or else I'm sure 3rd parties would have leaked some news of a new single-screen handheld from nintendo. :p

Always that bloody Market Fragmentation bastard causing mayhem for us techno-geeks...! *sigh*

This is the stupidest product I have seen in a long time. A large tablet screen with plastic over the top to restrict it to two smaller screens. A 2D variation of a 3D handheld. That's like an Occulus Rift with a plastic insert into one eyepiece to block it out! It's not even foldable to fit in one's pocket. It's 127 x 144 mm!

Nintendo 2DS

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-29-nintendo-announces-nintendo-2ds-handheld-console

Nintendo announced the 2DS. I'm not surprised, considering how many people just turned the 3D off always, and how children in particular really don't seem to care about 3D at all (the game in itself is exciting enough for them). Then saving on that screen gives you an 'entry level' device, that can see a lot of sales.

What I'm more surprised about is it not being a clamshell. Not sure I think the cost saved is worth the trade-off. Also, the screen size is back to 3DS levels, making it even more of a kids device imho. But when cheap enough (I'm not sure that it is yet at 125), I could definitely see getting my kid one at some point. Just a shame that it doesn't have the clam-shell.

I am surprised Nintendo found that it is cheaper to put a huge touchscreen and block the touching in the upper half, than to use two separate screens, one with touch and one without...

That 3d screen must be really expensive if they needed a new model to reach a new price tier ( by eliminating one of the primary features too). But at the new price, I think the 3DS will make a killing for Nintendo.

The 3D and the dual screens were both boat anchors on Nintendo's portable designs. Ironically the original DS was invented because getting two small LCDs was way cheaper than a single screen that was even marginally larger at the time. Now the opposite is true but they've been married to the 2 screen paradigm despite all the negative ways that impacts cost and power and formfactor.

I am surprised Nintendo found that it is cheaper to put a huge touchscreen and block the touching in the upper half, than to use two separate screens, one with touch and one without...

low pixel density and whatnot... nobody wants these, not even the cheap tablets anymore ;)

I think the looks of this thing is good enough (black/red color scheme is kinda sucky though; black/white is more my thing; black/blue might be OK tho), but the sucky hardware of the 3DS means I won't ever buy one. Also, lack of second analog stick is perplexing. It's the second time Nintendo launches a giant handheld and misses the chance to integrate the second stick.

The form-factor more than anything perplexes me. How is one supposed to transport this thing? Manbag? Isn't the whole reason for the existence of the dual screen to support a clamshell and enable more screen space the still fit in the pocket?

The movie clip in my OP shows a zippered transport pouch (may well be sold separately, to maximize revenue.) It's bizarre, I know, but Nintendo on the whole is really bizarre these years. They tend to get stuck so often in the rut of prior success and then flounder when that same recipe for success no longer works anymore. ...Not that they're altogether alone in that, but Nintendo has been depressingly regular in falling for this particular business flaw.

Back