AMD ATI Drivers BSOD

Graphics Card: 5870
CAT's causing BSOD: 13.1 and 13.4(latest release)
CAT's causing other issues: 12.10
Working CAT: 12.8

Wow! Used to have CAT13.1 install but would get BSOD from time to time. Had CAT 13.4 installed, the drivers have gotten so bad that every few time I rebooted the driver would cause a Blue Screen of Death(BSOD). I then decided to uninstall it using the Windows internal Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall AMD Catalyst but got a BSOD while trying to uninstall. Reboot BSOD. Booted into safe mode and tried to uninstall the driver but it wouldn't allow me saying I need to be in normal windows. I then did a repair and was able to boot again. I tried uninstalling again and got the BSOD. Luckily I was able to boot into windows again.

So I stayed with the driver but it would still BSOD the OS every few times on booting.

I then tried to install older ver CAT12.8 which I know used to work without issues a long time ago. Tried to install that and it wouldn't allow me to install it, older ver the the current etc.

Then I had a look on the AMD website and noticed a uninstall utility to delete the drivers. Downloaded. Installed and ran and BSOD. Booted into safe mode and ran the app. No issues. GREAT!

Boot into windows, installed 12.8. Works great but no CCC. tried manually installing CCC for Net4 but nothing. Tried the normal CCC nothing(this driver had both in the programs folder).

It's ok, no CCC. I then tried to go and install CAT13.4 again. BSOD.

Boot into safe mode and delete all the drivers again. This time tried to install 12.10 which was the first CAT 12 that only supported NET4. Booted up fine but windows explorer would crash from time to time. Booted into safe mode and deleted drivers.

Installed 12.8 but no CCC. It's fine. Haven't noticed any crashes as of yet and windows works normally.

Can AMD not sort out their crap with the CAT's and NET4. I take it NET4 is causing these issues. There's also been no update of new CAT's other than the betas. I take it AMD is aware of the problems yet nothing is being done.

I've been installing/overwriting/uninstalling just about every official and beta Catalyst since they started doing them, usually on more than one system, and I've never had problems like this.

What motherboard/OS are you running? Have you reported these problems to AMD?

Perhaps windows rot issues are involved also...? Image your current OS, then boot on the Win7 disc, format your system drive and do a clean install. This usually helps in situations like this, although it is a giant pain of course having to re-install all your stuff.

I've seen some dodgy drivers but I can't remember which ones exactly (13.4 springs to mind though). One of them BSOD'd on installing on top of a fresh Windows install and I'm pretty sure .NET was to blame also. It may only be occurring with 6-series and below cards (I have a 6850).

There is also an issue with firefox and flash with multiple monitors that hasn't been fixed in over a year (watch a video on youtube on one screen then enable a second monitor and the video will probably crash and hang firefox).

I've been installing/overwriting/uninstalling just about every official and beta Catalyst since they started doing them, usually on more than one system, and I've never had problems like this.

What motherboard/OS are you running? Have you reported these problems to AMD?

Asus Rampage mobo. Have a 2500k CPU(not overclocked). The 5870 is a Asus and also not overclocked. This seems to only be an issue with the NET4 drivers. The 12.8 driver has been perfect so far. Haven't tried uninstalling it though.

How do I report it to AMD?

Grall said:
Perhaps windows rot issues are involved also...? Image your current OS, then boot on the Win7 disc, format your system drive and do a clean install. This usually helps in situations like this, although it is a giant pain of course having to re-install all your stuff.

Not a fan of always having to reinstall. The Win7U is installed on a Samsung SSD.

I'm not having any BSOD problems with the .Net 4 drivers on 5770 and 6950. I would ponder whether the Windows install is fubar...

I hope this helps, I think I got it from rage3d or guru3d.

Originally Posted by Blín D'ñero
My method of ATI Radeon cleansing from the PC.

This is needed between beta and WHQL, especially when going to an earlier version.

For those who use an Intel based machine with ATI videocards.
(Those with an AMD based machine have to be careful with the AMD related software uninstalling, not to uninstall CPU related parts).

Uninstall using AMD Catalyst Install Manager (in Control Panel -> Programs and Features), all AMD/ATI software and reboot.
Make sure that "view hidden files and folders" is enabled: Control Panel > Folder Options > "View" tab > enable "Show hidden files folders and drives" and untick "hide protected operating system files"
Delete (Shift+Del) the AMD/ATI folders that you find in
C:/Users/*You*/AppData/Local
and
C:/Users/*You*/AppData/Local/Roaming
and
Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Program Data
In the search bar above the Windows Start orb, type msconfig and hit enter (or click msconfig.exe). On the "Boot" tab check on "Safe boot" and restart the PC
In Safe Mode, go to Control Panel -> Device Manager. In "View" select to show hidden devices
Right-click on (each of) your Radeon videocard -> Properties -> "Uninstall", check the checkbox to remove the drivers
under non-plug and play drivers delete amdkmdag
Again run msconfig, this time at the "Boot" tab uncheck "Safe boot" and restart the PC
In the search bar above the Windows Start orb, type regedit
Right-click regedit.exe -> Run as administrator
In registry find
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\ACE\
and delete that key.
Find
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
and look at its contents. It should just contain a handful of values, related to Standard VGA drivers.
If that is true, you are done.
(Incase you have two videocards in crossfire, you might find a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001
and look at its contents. It should just contain a handful of values, related to Standard VGA drivers.)
If that is true, you are done.
Install the Catalyst version of your choice.
Crossfire users always have to reboot. I'd recommend single users reboot as well.
That's it.
I might have gotten it from http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34001068

Asus Rampage mobo. Have a 2500k CPU(not overclocked). The 5870 is a Asus and also not overclocked. This seems to only be an issue with the NET4 drivers. The 12.8 driver has been perfect so far. Haven't tried uninstalling it though.

How do I report it to AMD?

Not a fan of always having to reinstall. The Win7U is installed on a Samsung SSD.

One more thing is to make sure you have the newest BIOS for your Asus motherboard. When I got my 5870, Asus P8P67 Pro, and i5 2500k the 5870 was having lots of problems. It ended up being mostly the fault of the motherboard. As Asus released newer BIOS revisions the problems got less and less. The launch drivers for 5870 also made things slightly worse, but it was mostly the MB causing the lockups, blue screens, and random reboots. About 4-5 months after the Motherboard came out Asus FINALLY got a BIOS out that allowed for stable operation of the 5870.

Regards,
SB

One more thing is to make sure you have the newest BIOS for your Asus motherboard. When I got my 5870, Asus P8P67 Pro, and i5 2500k the 5870 was having lots of problems. It ended up being mostly the fault of the motherboard. As Asus released newer BIOS revisions the problems got less and less. The launch drivers for 5870 also made things slightly worse, but it was mostly the MB causing the lockups, blue screens, and random reboots. About 4-5 months after the Motherboard came out Asus FINALLY got a BIOS out that allowed for stable operation of the 5870.

Regards,
SB

I think I have the latest version for my Mobo. Will check. Thanks.

The CAT12.8 has been stable. No CCC though but at least no BSOD.

Just checked. I do have the latest BIOS update.

If you are having frequent BSOD issues related to your video card with many different drivers it is either the card or Windows most likely.

We can't really troubleshoot without the error code from the BSOD. If it is ram related the error codes would be kind of random. Same with processor.

So been using Cat 3.9 because it works with all my games however anything above 3.9 crashes Battlefield(not BSOD at least). Tried 13.12 when it came out and PC would freeze. Skipped 14.4(which I am currently downloading) and have tried the Omega 14.12 but lo and behold Battlefield crashes 1 second into the game play.

Pity I get messages about 3.9 being out of date every time I start to play BF4 but I can deal with that, what I can't deal with is all the crashing the drivers do.

Also, pity about the AMD Gaming Evolved App. Seems like bloatware that wants to monitor everything I do in games, and I mean everything.

it might be the video drivers, but in my experience with windows kernel the kind of stuff you have installed (3rd party drivers) can influence your BSODs much more.
Graphics Card: 5870
CAT's causing BSOD: 13.1 and 13.4(latest release)
CAT's causing other issues: 12.10
Working CAT: 12.8

do you understand this is like my wife answering the question 'what kind of car your husband have?" -"a white one"?

I take it AMD is aware of the problems yet nothing is being done.
Oh great. You post here reporting a problem (i bet AMD has a specific way for this), then you say they already know it and they do nothing.
Do you have access to their SHIP/JIRA? No, I guess. Do you know how its priority behaves? Do you know if it happens to a limited number of guys just because of the things they have installed in their machine?
You are important as human, yet there are other millions out there, so work has to be prioritized (hint: this is how SDLC is done).

But it seems you have all the correct answers, much like my wife...

Posting it in a forum where AMD guys are (and likely many from other companies like Intel, imagination, Sony...) , wont make it fixed faster.

(hint: this is the kind of post that i think would tease any guy in SDL & SDLC)

I post on here because I know AMD people look here. If I knew where to do it officially I would do it there.

I can't understand how the drivers can go from working 12.8 to not working 12.10, 13.1, 13.4 then have a driver that works in 13.9 but then have driver issues again in 14.4 and 14.12.

My problem is that there are drivers that worked and then the following driver/s that don't. How does this go through the cracks of their testing phase? And it's not BF4 isn't one of their supported games either so why is this happening. The fact that I said AMD knew about the issues was that I had read various sites where people complained about the same thing i.e driver issues.

AMD already don't do month releases any more and I take it's because of said testing taking place where they try and provide a good driver instead of a bad one yet these bad drivers are consistently released.

I don't fuck around with 3rd party drivers. All my drivers are official drivers supported by Microsoft or the venders like AMD so I doubt the kernel is an issue. Currently 13.9 works, just reinstalled it after going through various tests using the current 14.4 and 14.12 drivers. 14.12 freezes a second into gameplay and did so consistently the 7 times I tried to play. 14.4 don't even go into gameplay, as soon as the deploy map comes up in BF4, the game freezes. 13.9 has never had these issues. 13.1 and 13.4 had huge issues with BSOD and many people complained about it. 12.10 would crash Windows too.

I would plug that card into another PC and see if it behaves differently there.

There's something definitively strange.. i still have 2x HD 5870.. as my brother GTX460 have die, i have remove the waterblock on one and build it in his pc. Well he dont have any problem with last driver, and with early driver.. This said he dont play a lot of "new" games or BF4.

Sadly i cant really test the other, this will mean unbuild my watercooling setup ( 2x 7970 + 4930K ), or unbuild the waterblock on the other one, reinstall the reference cooler, reinstall BF4 etc etc. and get enough time for it.

Last edited:
Back