Wildstar

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
I've been keeping my eye on Wildstar since it's debut trailer. However, development kind of flew under my radar for a bit, as I was preoccupied with other games, and it wasn't until recently when I started watching the developer videos showcasing some of the new features. First and foremost, for anyone unfamiliar with the title, Wildstar is an upcoming sci-fi MMORPG in development by Carbine Studios. It has a cartoony art direction, with some pretty damn neat looking landscapes, aided by a story rife with comedy. Add fully customizable player housing, tradeskills, exploration, an innovative combat system based on movement, free-targeting and keeping an eye on telegraphs to avoid attacks, enticing races/classes and promising endgame content, including 40 man raids, and it seems like the recipe for a pretty promising title. The developers released a series of videos, which they continue to add, showing some features of the game. Personally, I was most fond of the devspeak regarding player housing. Gathering materials to build your home from the ground up, after you've purchased a plot of land, and even decorating the interior AND exterior, with additions called "plugs." For example, you can have a garden to grow herbs, your own crafting station, and mine in your own yard:

Also, a glance at the movement during combat and telegraph system:

Character paths:

And general movement:

If you're interested in MMORPG's, I implore you to check it out!

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting, a shame it is Windows-only though and you seem to be shoe-horned into one of the 4 paths and their specific content on a "per character" basis.

I'm not sure I've seen a game so close to WoW for artwork, palette, terrain and building design, character look and animation. Just from those videos.

I'm not sure I've seen a game so close to WoW for artwork, palette, terrain and building design, character look and animation. Just from those videos.

Carbine isn't the first company guilty of mimicking WoW's art direction, and they certainly won't be the last. I see a number of people commenting on its art direction, and I don't really understand why. One of the main elements of a game that piques my interest is its art direction. WoW's is aesthetically pleasing, yet still manages to be beautiful and creative. Carbine has admitted a number of their staff is ex Blizzard employees. I've played numerous MMOs that had dull and boring art direction and visuals.

Their aiming system looks interesting. I hope it works out as well as they hope as the auto-aim cycle gameplay is boring to me.

Their aiming system looks interesting. I hope it works out as well as they hope as the auto-aim cycle gameplay is boring to me.

Look really similar to TERA ( the crosshair removed, instead you have the direction of the skills indicated ( blue arrow )..

There's a philosophy about WildStar that I find really agreeable. That being the developers are adding all this content, lots of things that made vanilla WoW so appealing that were over time scrapped, like 40 man raids, under the guise of people either love or hate that content. Instead of the concept being lost to the ages, Carbine says "well, even though a small percentage of players are pot committed to that type of content, we'd rather include it and have it, instead of not including it and people wanting it."

Warplots look pretty cool, too. They're basically these pvp structures you and a group of people build and go to war with other players to defend and destroy.

I'd be all over this if this wasn't an mmo. I love the character designs and the facial animations in the trailers are just phenomenal.
I also think it doesn't look like WoW at all. Similar color palette doesn't mean similar art-style.

Whelp, it's been a pretty bustling past couple of months. But, there's been an onslaught of WildStar news and reveals lately that I felt was all fodder for my not-so-forgotten thread. The final two classes have been unveiled, the Medic and Engineer, as well as a slew of gameplay footage of all six classes located on WS' Twitch channel:

The Medic:

And, my new favorite, the Engineer:

For more footage of each of the classes, in-depth explanations of gameplay mechanics, there's also this lovely Twitch channel that hosts tons of videos:

http://www.twitch.tv/wildstar

Back