satellite reign, spiritual successor Syndicate (kickstarter 24h left)

I have never played the original Syndicate, but my brother always raved about it. If I would not be really disappointed in Kickstarter platform as a whole I would pledge here. Hope they get to the destructible environments.

I wrote them an e-mail that they should implement rating of Kickstarter project leaders in several categories etc., but I think they are making way too much money to really care how many time projects get delayed and how projects are realised etc.

As a rule of thumb, if you promise a deadline always add a safety buffer to it and if you are unsure, add another on top of it.

So I will probably limit myself, in future, for backing 1 or 2 projects per year (as opposed to 20 until now from Wasteland 2) if any at all...

You've backed 20 projects!? Wow! I've only gone for 2 so far. I'm a picky guy though with games.

I never played the original Syndicate either. I don't know why. It just never caught my eye for some reason. I will watch this though.

Syndicate was a great game in its day. I'd love to see another. Not sure how I feel about Kickstarter. I like the idea, but it just seems so easy for people to get ripped off. I guess the thing to remember is that you should feel like there's a good chance you won't get anything for your money, so don't put down money unless you can lose it, like with gambling.

I loved Syndicate, Molyneux doing a good job, will keep that one on my watchlist...

You've backed 20 projects!? Wow! I've only gone for 2 so far. I'm a picky guy though with games.

I never played the original Syndicate either. I don't know why. It just never caught my eye for some reason. I will watch this though.

Hi, here is the list I have pledged for, even though a list alone does not say much (doubt you see the pledge level of other people).

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1060910165

I am also picky, but I really liked the idea of Kickstarter so I pledged more than I would if it would have been a 20 year old platform.

I am especially glad to have backed http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548272412/radio-the-universe-0 , sad that I have not pledged more because with every update it looks even better...

But, as I said too many project leads think of "delivery date" = "who cares, we have the money/will get the money" etc. As I have spent more on games etc. in the last 2-3 years than in my whole life together I would've need to slow down in any case...

Sorry for the off topic talk...

Syndicate was a great game in its day. I'd love to see another. Not sure how I feel about Kickstarter. I like the idea, but it just seems so easy for people to get ripped off. I guess the thing to remember is that you should feel like there's a good chance you won't get anything for your money, so don't put down money unless you can lose it, like with gambling.

Yeah, that's why I only pitch in on a kickstarter when I loved a previous game so much (Like Wasteland) that I want to reward the person for making such a great game in the first place. That, of course, is only possible if the project is being done by the original creator and/or team.

If I get a finished product, bonus. If I don't, no big deal as my contribution was just a thank you for the original game.

Regards,
SB

Gotta love the quality that can come from indy dev with unity

alloycandella1.jpg

Nice screen and it's extra cool that it comes by way of Unity. I don't remember ever playing that style of game but if they release a demo I'll look it over.

Yeah, that's why I only pitch in on a kickstarter when I loved a previous game so much (Like Wasteland) that I want to reward the person for making such a great game in the first place. That, of course, is only possible if the project is being done by the original creator and/or team.

If I get a finished product, bonus. If I don't, no big deal as my contribution was just a thank you for the original game.

Regards,
SB
My experience with Kickstarter is zip, as I wanted to use Paypal with a couple of games and couldn't, and I don't have -nor I am interested in- a credit card.

Question is... I thought Kickstarter worked like any crowdfunding project via your bank or whatever, where if you don't achieve your financial goals those who gave money to the project get a refund. Doesn't Kickstarter work in the same way?

AFAIK, if you don't hit your funding goal no money will be paid out to you. I could be wrong tho, I've never actually used the site, just looked at a couple projects, that's all.

My experience with Kickstarter is zip, as I wanted to use Paypal with a couple of games and couldn't, and I don't have -nor I am interested in- a credit card.

Question is... I thought Kickstarter worked like any crowdfunding project via your bank or whatever, where if you don't achieve your financial goals those who gave money to the project get a refund. Doesn't Kickstarter work in the same way?

Nope. Grall got part of it. If the project fails to hit its funding goal no money is actually charged/collected and then given to the developer.

However, if the project successfully hits its funding goal then that money that has been pledge is collected and distributed to the developer with Kickstarter taking a percentage. At that point your money is gone and you won't be getting anything back even if no product is ever delivered because it didn't get finished.

It's similar to funding by a publisher. Except the publishers in this case are all the people that pledge money. And unlike a real publisher, the people that pledged money do no get a part of the profits if the game manages to make a profit. However, if the product is finished they get the finished product cheaper than if they hadn't pledged (in most cases. the higher pledge tiers obviously not applying to this).

So the risk reward for...

Publisher. Risk - money is sunk in development and may potentially never be recovered. Reward - small chance product will turn a profit. smaller chance you get a large profit.

Kickstarter contributors. Risk - money is sunk into the game never to be recovered. Reward - if [IF] the product is finished you get the product.

Regards,
SB

Nope. Grall got part of it. If the project fails to hit its funding goal no money is actually charged/collected and then given to the developer.

However, if the project successfully hits its funding goal then that money that has been pledge is collected and distributed to the developer with Kickstarter taking a percentage. At that point your money is gone and you won't be getting anything back even if no product is ever delivered because it didn't get finished.

It's similar to funding by a publisher. Except the publishers in this case are all the people that pledge money. And unlike a real publisher, the people that pledged money do no get a part of the profits if the game manages to make a profit. However, if the product is finished they get the finished product cheaper than if they hadn't pledged (in most cases. the higher pledge tiers obviously not applying to this).

So the risk reward for...

Publisher. Risk - money is sunk in development and may potentially never be recovered. Reward - small chance product will turn a profit. smaller chance you get a large profit.

Kickstarter contributors. Risk - money is sunk into the game never to be recovered. Reward - if [IF] the product is finished you get the product.

Regards,
SB
So, if the Kickstarter isn't successful the publisher gets all the money they could grab and Kickstarter doesn't take a percentage. Did I get it right?

It isn't much different from what Grall said, although the devil is in the details, as they say. So, this means that you are basically taking a risk loaning your money to a cause and not expecting it back... I am surprised by this anyways, 'cos I thought some people would want to get a refund if the project doesn't make it in the end.

That being said, if I loan out money, I have to admit I don't ever expect to be paid back. In those cases, I don't loan out money unless I can afford to lose it.

I just don't expect some people to pay me back for a number of reasons... But most of all... It just seems to me that someone who is asking to borrow money is down on their luck... what exactly is the likelihood that their luck is going to suddenly change? Someone who has to ask to borrow money is doing so because they do not have any. If they do have any now, how are they going to have it later without a Kickstarter?

So if I give out money, it is just to give it out. If a person or a company needs a lucky break, I prefer to give it up and I don't expect anything back to be honest. If I do get something back, then there is just a nifty little bonus for me.

So... with all of this in mind, I don't loan out money, give gifts, etc, unless I can afford losses. Ergo, if I can't afford to loan out the cash, then I don't do it...

In this situation, I might loan the money out to a Kickstarter once. Twice to the same Kickstarter. A third time? ... Not so sure. Fourth time... not looking too good. Fifth time? They need to look for money elsewhere after that as we're breaching the "leech" situation now...

Granted, if this were to happen over a course of some years instead of days, that wouldn't be bad. But if this happened with every Kickstarter within a span of a couple of weeks or less... that's too much.

That's why I find Kickstarter to be so tough at times, as they time window is very small.

So, if the Kickstarter isn't successful the publisher gets all the money they could grab and Kickstarter doesn't take a percentage. Did I get it right?

In this situation, I might loan the money out to a Kickstarter once. Twice to the same Kickstarter. A third time? ... Not so sure. Fourth time... not looking too good. Fifth time? They need to look for money elsewhere after that as we're breaching the "leech" situation now...

Generally speaking you aren't pledging money to publishers but directly to the developers themselves. The main point of Kickstarter is to get funding for projects that publishers have likely already rejected or projects by developers who wish to avoid going through a publisher.

That why I mentioned that for Kickstarter projects, the "publisher" is basically everyone that pledges money to the project. However, unlike a publisher, they don't get a percentage of any profits (if any) that are made. Likewise they aren't sunk with potentially spending more and more money on a project headed for failure.

As such each person decides if they want to take the risk that they will get absolutely nothing back from the money they gave to the developers. Or a product that is so bad as to make you regret pledging.

Now, don't take that to be all doom and gloom. There have been some very good Kickstarter projects (FTL is one of my favorites although I didn't kickstart it, I bought the finished product on Steam).

Regards,
SB

game released, is awesome everyone should buy it. warning the screen space effects are linear in cost per pixel (der) and quite expensive but look so so awesome, stills don't do it justice.

edit: also consider 5 guys made this for under a 3/4 mill (USD)

I've been trying to decide if I want this, Shadowrun Hong Kong, both, or neither. :)

Back