Bought myself a new electric shaver today.

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Braun, series 7. Made in Germany, solid as hell. Quality straight through.

Shaves really nice, then washes, lubricates and dries off the foil. However, it does make a bit of a racket I must say. I wish they'd do more to soundproof their stuff, I wanted to replace my previous Braun razor from a bunch of years ago partly because of the noise level (and because the foil got dull, and also because buying stuff is fun), and hoped for something quieter, but...oh well.

Philips shavers are much quieter, however their circular shaving heads chew up my skin, particularly on the tip of my chin. Last time I used one of theirs I got ingrown hairs due to follicle damage, took quite a while before healing out fully. Not good. Can't use regular razor blades either for much the same reason.

What are you peeps using?

I've got a philips one, and it works like a charm to me. It only does the chewing up when my beard is too long. The area right below my nose does hurt a bit, but it can't be helped, it is actually much worse with a razor, so I just accept it as an oversensitivity I'll have to live with.
I like those shavers for everyday shaving, because they are quick and clean to use, but if you wanna keep your face considerably hairless, I gotta use it everyday. The good old razor has a closer cut, that can last for 2 days or 3. I still use the razor every now and then when I wanna get that nice baby's bum feel on my face.

Razors are good for feeling smooth, yes, but I really must say that this new shaver really does cut really close to the skin too, my face feels almost completely smooth, pretty much comparable to Gillette Mach5 blades (which I've used for years on and off) I'd say. Convex area where neck and jaw meet is a little raspy, as is the front of my throat, but still noticeably better than other shavers I've used.

Shaving with the Braun doesn't hurt at all, maybe you should try? :)

Is it wi-fi enabled, and does it update your Facebook status every time you have a shave?

If not, you're definitely not doing the future properly.

Aye, all of the above. Next patch adds hair curler and coffee maker, with the promised clothes iron set for release late autumn now after some critical bugs were discovered. The forum warriors are raging over this, let me tell you!

Can't use regular razor blades either for much the same reason.

What are you peeps using?

I like single blade razor, specifally Bic. Foremost orders of magnitude cheaper than Gillette et al but I found up it was more efficient, less painful than the Mach 3. Go figure! The latter thrashes my skin, unless you throw away the Mach 3 triple blade after just one - perfect - shaving, which at 2.40 euros per consumable and done every other day would cost 438 euros per year. (Bic does 2-3 shavings. At 0.11 euro per unit cost and shaving every day and two shavings per blade the cost is 20 euros per year)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading this thread, I realize I must be pretty lucky, because I use a simple Mach 3, it doesn't damage my skin, and I get at least 30 shaves without changing the blades.

Gillette sucks. Schik gives about 5x the number of shaves. What Gillette do is the latest model is good but they cripple previous models eg mach 3 when it came out gave me 6 weeks before I had to change the blade. Mach 4 or whatever came out bang the blades suddenly would only last 2 weeks before blunt.

The latter thrashes my skin, unless you throw away the Mach 3 triple blade after just one - perfect - shaving, which at 2.40 euros per consumable and done every other day would cost 438 euros per year. (Bic does 2-3 shavings. At 0.11 euro per unit cost and shaving every day and two shavings per blade the cost is 20 euros per year)

reminded me of this post
MLs are the best weapon in the game. 1 Ton, 1 Slot, 5 dmg, 3 second cool down, 4 Heat, 270m full damage range and 540m reach. Can shoot up to 7 before getting the penalty. If your mech has the hardpoints getting 4-6 MLs for 4-6 tons makes a lot of sense when you consider AC/2s are 6 tons w/o ammo. 4dps for the AC/2 so up to 12 damage in 3 seconds and 6 heat and more range but at the cost of a minimum of 7 tons and 2 slots.

I'm using Gillette Super Sport Mach 7 Warp 9 Reactive Core Overload (or something sounding similar :D)

Blades last me for few months each so 6-pack is good for a year or more, but I shave every 2-3 days as my other half likes a bit of facial hair ;)

I'm using Gillette Super Sport Mach 7 Warp 9 Reactive Core Overload (or something sounding similar :D)

Blades last me for few months each so 6-pack is good for a year or more, but I shave every 2-3 days as my other half likes a bit of facial hair ;)

Only Mach 7?? So, shaving must take you a lot of time...

I like single blade razor, specifally Bic.
Ugh! The orange plastic Bics I bought at the central bus station and used in their bathroom once, long ago when I was about to go on a trip and hadn't shaved that morning (for some reason I can't remember) were the most horrific razors I've ever laid my hands on. They claimed to have a strip of soothing aloe vera or somesuch, but aloe vera or not, those blades felt more like a harrow as they passed over my face. Absolutely awful, vile stuff.

You get what you pay for. But yeah, if you're gonna throw the blade away after just one or two uses, they're cost effective. Also helps if your skin is like the plates of an armadillo... ;)

There's actually lower quality than that (and I tried it!, a bag of tens razors for 0.50 euro is intriguing). That*was really evil. But yes people usually tell me the say thing as you do regarding throwaway Bics. I guess I have a thick, dry skin and angry hair (thick and fast growing). It may be that I find it more easy to control a single blade and that it's easier to understand how/when it dulls.

What I should be using is an old style safety razor, looks like the same thing but higher quality, and still cheap :) only there's capital cost (like electric razors).

I shave once every 5 - 10 days and tend to use a Gillette Mach 3 or 5 depending on whatever the hell's in the house. Rarely use shaving cream and usually just shave in the shower to save on some time. If I've got a date then I'll bust out a straight edge razor and shave the way my grandfather taught me. Those are my closest and smoothest shaves with the straight edge razors and are usually good for at least a day and a half.

I've tried electric in the past and haven't been able to get a good enough or accurate enough shave. Then again those were with some Norelco electric shavers which I used to get as Christmas presents from the mom.

Ugh, I have to shave every time before I work and I bloody hate it! Been using a Mach something or other for too long, have electrics gotten good enough to be called "decent" yet? I've never used one that didn't aggravate the hell out of my skin and do a meh job of getting me face smooth. :(

No it was from mechwariior online post on b3d
that reminds me about 6 months ago went into superdrug and asked for a packet of razor blades aka

and the woman didnt have a clue what I was talking about (hydro -5, mach 3, gillette fusion - no just a razor blade)

Back