Will gaming ever go 4K/8K?

Almost no games supported 1080p last gen either.

I don't think your going to build a machine for less than $500 that can run games decently at 4k .

Good question. My brother and I were just discussing 4k tonight.

He wants a 4k monitor. I tell him it's too early, content's not ready and you'll pay too much right now, etc etc but he's crazy like that and I'm sure he'll end up with one one of these days.

Anandtech just put up a review of a 4k monitor and the guy really loved it, after initially doubting you'd notice the extra resolution, he did not want to return the monitor at the end of the review.

Interesting side note, the Anand guy claimed the GPU editor said 4K would eliminate the need for AA in gaming. He said he still noticed aliasing in HL2 on the 4k monitor though, he think at least 2X-4X AA is still desirable at that res while maybe not 8x.

but anyways, for consoles it will be next gen at the earliest, obviously.

but for those people saying we dont need power, there's another nicety that's going to sap stupendous amounts of gpu power just to get us to the same level of visuals as we already get at 1080p.

I dont know, that's 8.3 million pixels versus ~2m for 1080p and around 1m for 720p, .3m for SD.

i'm sure it's an inevitability in the pc gaming world. for next-next gen console a 4x resolution jump will be a tough pill to swallow, but SD to 720P was 3x, SD to 1080P is ~6X and we are there, so perhaps not out of bounds.

Considering gaming was once 320 x 200 lol, we will have 4k gaming.
Probably with the ps5 .
I can't see anything on ps4 being playable at 4k

Edit, before anyone stating the obvious that its possible, my answer is at what trade off ?
Something's gotta give. Too much of a waste of resource for not much gain.

I can't see anything on ps4 being playable at 4k

There's a few 1080P games on current consoles. I could see a few non graphically demanding downloadable type games likewise hitting 4k in next gen.

I remember I downloaded the Virtua Tennis 3 demo on my 360 a couple years ago just to check out a 1080P game on my TV. I want to say Super Stardust HD on PS3 was also 1080P, among a few others.

But then again, 4K is more young than 1080P was in 2005, so maybe not for a while.

anyone know what version of hdmi the consoles are using ?
theres no reason why 360/ps3 games couldnt be ported to 4k

Take a look at what it takes to run current generation games at max settings on PC at 4K resolutions.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7120/some-quick-gaming-numbers-at-4k-max-settings

Neither console has hardware remotely as powerful as what is required for 60 FPS or even 30 FPS. Well perhaps Dirt 3 might be possible at 4k at 30 FPS on the upcoming consoles, but that isn't really pushing next gen graphics either.

Not going to happen this coming generation. And incredibly unlikely it'll happen the generation after that. At least for games that attempt to increase IQ at playable framerates. Less graphically intense games perhaps may manage that in the console generation after the upcoming one, but I'd still be highly doubtful.

Regards,
SB

Yes. On PC. :p

We already had the discussion on 4k gaming if you want to search for it. Next-gen consoles aren't up to it and it was never a design target. You may get some games like PixelJunk Monsters was 1080p this gen.

I want to say Super Stardust HD on PS3 was also 1080P, among a few others.
Super Stardust was only 1080P in vertical direction... Horizontally it was much lower. Not that you were likely to notice anyway during gameplay. :)

IIRC sony is on record saying PS4 will support 4k video playback. I think MS said Xbone will support 4k. Of course that's just the video decoder block and the HDMI output, both off-the-shelf parts. If you have a 4k TV it might make some sense to have the UI at 4k and the graphics at whatever downscaled resolution they will be rendered anyway (1024x600? :D). The Xbone's hardware multi-plane support might help make this more commonly/automatically supported. Indie platformers or whatevers might conceivably be rendered native 4k and still hit 30fps or even 60fps.

If it's rendered on the cloud, and then send as a videostream, you could allocate as much resources you want, and pay more for an higher resolution. So yes, it's possible. Offcourse you need a proper connection, but don't we expect in a decade the mobile network to hit 1 Gpbs? It could be possible to stream a compressed 8K video over it I guess. The next step is not only 4K, is the fall in price of the bigger screen sizes. I expect that in a few years, it will be normal to have a 65" or more screen in our living room.

that anatec article sleeping dogs is running at 4k with ssaa - my god no wonder the framerate is low
Still think 360/ps3 games could be ported to 4k no problem it would give devs an extra revenue stream as well

The Xbone's hardware multi-plane support might help make this more commonly/automatically supported.
PS4 also has plane support, one for game and one for OSUI (maybe 4k is the OS target and the inclusion of animated UI elements as video components explains the need for 1.5 GBs OS? :rolleyes:).

that anatec article sleeping dogs is running at 4k with ssaa - my god no wonder the framerate is low
Still think 360/ps3 games could be ported to 4k no problem it would give devs an extra revenue stream as well
I'm not sure 4k TV owners are going to be in significant numbers buying old games to play in improved resolution. There were a few HD remakes this gen for a market with a high HD penetration.

I think what some people are waiting for are large OLED screens. It seems to make more sense to make all content look better, and not just content which was designed for a niche specification. I always wondered why they didn't just tile the screens with OLED given the non existent border and say have a baseline 25-35" screen which you put together to make a 4k panel at between 50-70" which ought to be cheaper than making one huge defect free OLED screen.

Of course.
Importance of very high resolutions will become even more important when going for wide FoV displays like Rift.

There will undoubtedly be some games that run at 4k. Recent years have seen a throwback to graphically simpler games like the Rayman series (and other sidescrollers) that could probably manage that resolution. Games that go for a stylized look over graphical effects. The Castle of Illusion remake could be a contender, for example.

The higher DPI of 4k will also lend itself better to custom resolutions due to less visible artifacting.

For 2 years Im using 32" 1080p HDTV as mu only PC monitor, and when the price is right, I will move to ~39-40" 4K. But that will not be soon.

As for gaming, highend GPU's can already manage that rez. Arrival of 22nm tech will make such gaming more than viable, but true adoption will come only with cheap monitors. And they will not come soon.

Back