Windows 8 tablet/touch all in one 15-18"

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Does anyone know of any good tablets/all in one pcs in the 15-18 inch range? I know about the Dell XPS 18 and the Asus AIO P1801 transformer, but neither are available in my country. Are there any new models coming out soon which I should keep an eye out for, and/or should I wait for the Haswell refreshes later this year?

If you can wait until later this year there's a Haswell variant rated at 4.5 SDP coming out later in limited quantities. It'll allow for fanless tablets. Hawell Y-series at 6 SDP still requires at least some active cooling.

However, I'd expect them to command a price premium, and top end performance is likely to be thermally limited as SDP is mostly relevant for light workloads (like what you generally see on tablets). It should do even better than the Haswell ULT in the Apple MacBook air (web browsing bench at Anandtech, 14.28 hours with a 54 Wh battery, 11.24 hours normalized to a 42.5 Wh battery like the iPad 4).

But is unlikely to be able to handle higher workloads as well (heavy PC applications) as an actively cooled Haswell solution. As both 4.5 SDP and 6 SDP Haswell variants have the same 11.5 TDP (higher workload applications than what is used to rate SDP).

Regards,
SB

Thanks that sounds pretty good. I can wait, but I was hoping to know if there were any good products worth waiting for. It seems for a desktop/tablet hybrid there are few choices. Would I be right in assuming that windows 8.1 release might also coincidence with some new models/haswell refreshes? More that that I guess since my workloads isn't heavy a kabini/kaveri option might be cheaper given the fact I don't need super high performance.

Back