Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag (PS3, X360, PS4, XBOne)

MAJOR SPOILER for AC3 below - DO NOT READ if you haven't finished the game.

No it wasn't?? Desmond sacrificed himself to save it.

But I thought there were only two choices and
both meant the destruction of the world. One was to let humanity start from the beginning and repeat the same mistakes. The second was to let Juno take over of the world. I thought the first civilization exhausted all possibilities and failed. Then they left all the clues for humans to pick in order to understand what was coming and prepare. Whereas humanity had to build a solution to protect the world all these centuries, assasins and templars were too busy fighting each other until it was too late. This is what Minerva said if I recall. There was no way to protect the planet from the solar storm. The only choice was how would humanity move on after the destruction. The ending showed nothing about humans being bsaved. It showed a worldwide aurora due to the imminent solar storm along with other assosciated phenomenons implying the world was going to be destroyed

But I thought there were only two choices and
both meant the destruction of the world. One was to let humanity start from the beginning and repeat the same mistakes. The second was to let Juno take over of the world. I thought the first civilization exhausted all possibilities and failed. Then they left all the clues for humans to pick in order to understand what was coming and prepare. Whereas humanity had to build a solution to protect the world all these centuries, assasins and templars were too busy fighting each other until it was too late. This is what Minerva said if I recall. There was no way to protect the planet from the solar storm. The only choice was how would humanity move on after the destruction. The ending showed nothing about humans being bsaved. It showed a worldwide aurora due to the imminent solar storm along with other assosciated phenomenons implying the world was going to be destroyed

That's mostly right but the 2 options were to allow the solar storm to destroy the world and start again, or release Juno and protect the world from the solar storm (using a planetary shield if I recall correctly), but unleash whatever Juno had in store for the world (enslave humanity). They chose the second option which also meant Desmond had to sacrafice himself. The ending did show that the Earth had been saved from the storm though. Yes there were solar storms and a few earthquakes but then it all died down and the earth was safe. Basically the ending showed a near miss. Obviously whatever Juno has in store should be hanging over the world in 4 though. I've not finished the game yet so I can't comment on that!

Hi I just played this game and the graphics quality and animation is crazy.

It's much better than newer game like lightning returns final fantasy xiii.

Ac4 also can keep its frame rate fairly well.

I'm confused.. So this game start before assassination Creed 3?
In 3,the world is destroyed. But in 4 the world is fine :-/

*xbox 360

Thanks for the fucking spoiler for the end of 3 as I'm going through them now. :devilish:

Do I need to play the other AC games to enjoy Black Flag?

No.

Is the game good?

Yes. In total the most satisfying game experience on my XB1 next to Tombraider.
I enjoyed the pirate and exploring parts a lot more over the AC elements which feel a bit simple and awkward to real Stealth like (past) Splinter Cell. There are a few different editions with more missions and I got the Black Flag Skull one. A lot playtime for your money.

I truly hope UBI realized there's some real magic in the ship battle/exploring to make it its own series.

Is the game good?

You don't because it's an awesome game in it's own right however there will be some stuff in there (not a huge amount) that doesn't make a lot of sense without the previous games to refer back to. Plus you're missing out on some incredible games by not playing those as well.

That said, it's a BIG job to work you're way through those (well over 100 hours to play them all properly) so you might be just as well going straight into 4.

I still think the second one is the best. The Ezio character is just so much more likeable than everyone that came before or after him. The challenge hasn't completely abandoned the series at that point either, and it simply doesn't feel like it was padded all the way to hell and back, just to meet some random board room member's misguided value-for-money expectations. AC2 has lots of really well designed story missions too. Black Flag mostly has forgettable, random crap by the bucket load. Most puzzling is the abundance of eavesdropping missions. They've always been crap, and the team even accnowledged that much. Curiously that didn't stop them from working those playable duds into just about of every second mission in Black Flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes by far. The whole trilogy was head and shoulders above the other games (and most other franchises) in terms of character story arc.

Not to mention his games also featured the best villains and far and away the most memorable assortment of accomplices. Best Animus-related puzzles as well.

Is the game good?

The game is pretty good, I didn't play the others. My only advice would be to focus on the story to begin with before setting out for the free roaming, I got a bit lost with some of the games mechanics and must have upgrades because I just said, fuck it and went on adventure very early.

I think a used copy or sale from Amazon or Game would be the cheapest option

Thanks guys!!! Sounds really good...it is still 70 Euros in PS store though...need to think!

It's not all roses. I LOVED it when I got my ship for the first time, but I soon got this nagging feeling that there was no game in iAC4 except the ship battles. Everything else is just 'go here on map and press the button'. It got so monotonous and mindnumbing after a very short while that me, who loves exploring, is loving FEZ right now where all u do is find cubes, just could not carry on at all . The exploration is all meaningless as everything is already marked on your map, you just have to go there and pick it up: that was what got on my nerves after a while. The main missions and their gameplay is not the highlight here, in fact most ppl who love this game avoid them, the ship and the battles are the the exciting parts. They are fun and as you level up your ship, they get very rewarding too as you juggle your weapons. Everything else is just fluff. Go with low expectations and you will like it when you realise that it ain't an AC game, but a good good pirate battle game.

Edit: to put it simply, for me the game is this : you will love it when u r on the Sea, you will hate it when you are on land.....and because of that I could not continue after a while.

Btw, the AC4: Freedom Cry dlc is also available as a standalone game. Maybe you can buy that and try out the gameplay before spending 70 euros ! I think thats a better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the few chest maps where you had to match the map with the actual surroundings was a step up to repetitive nature but I agree that UBI needs to rethink the generic chests. The same problem basically in Far Cry 3 where all these chests lack any meaning in your game besides money.

Afaik Freedom City is just the land side though with a nice story. I didn't get it for that reason because I enjoyed the ship/exploration so much more.

Anyway, for the price of the game you get a lot playing time even if you don't like some aspects of the game.

Boring repetitive naval combat,the story lags behind from AC2, sid meier's pirates is much more enjoyable as a ''pirate'' game

I tried the Freedom Cry version on the PS4 and it totally sucks. You get no introduction to the controls whatsoever and you are dropped in a naval battle that is pretty difficult. I had no idea what to but after a few tries I managed to take down the other boats. Then you get to board it and then the enemies just stab you to death. Can you fight in this game somehow? I gave up after a few tries.

Also, the low frame rate make navigating in the world slow and boring compared to MGS:GZ and Tomb Raider. I could try it again but I basically see no reason whatsoever...

New Assassin's Creed Unity better be bad ass than the predecessors if Ubisoft want to gain new fans for the next-gen consoles. It should have much much better graphics and more rich gameplay for sure.

I dont see what there is to complain about. AC4 was an absolutely superb game with gorgeous graphics that can easily stand up to other 'next gen' games. 3 was the weakest game in the series IMO and even that was still a brilliant game. Unity certainly looks set to exceed 4 in the graphics department but as far as gameplay is concerned, more of the same would do me nicely.

I tried the Freedom Cry version on the PS4 and it totally sucks. You get no introduction to the controls whatsoever and you are dropped in a naval battle that is pretty difficult. I had no idea what to but after a few tries I managed to take down the other boats. Then you get to board it and then the enemies just stab you to death. Can you fight in this game somehow? I gave up after a few tries.

Also, the low frame rate make navigating in the world slow and boring compared to MGS:GZ and Tomb Raider. I could try it again but I basically see no reason whatsoever...

Don't give up so soon! It's not exactly rocket science, trust me ;)

Back