Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag (PS3, X360, PS4, XBOne)

I think so. I assumed at the time the syncing to the console was required to do anything in the app. As I understand it all the reward from the app can be retrieved via going into the cabin? I also was able to chose to send a captured ship to my fleet, that was cool.

Yes. If you watch the interface when you enter/exit Kenway's fleet from the Jackdaw's cabin, I think its just loading its version of the client fleet management client.

I don't think I've ever played a game that felt quite as pointlessly bloated and gimmicky as Black Flag. ACIII was already quite bad in that regard, but Black Flag takes it to a whole new level. What little story there is is entirely forgettable as well. Connor might have been a po-faced dullard, but at least he was up against a bunch of rather memorable villains. Unfortunately Black Flag doesn't really have any villains. It just has a protagonist who's damn near as bland and every bit as one-note as Connor was, and then it sends him on the most poorly designed mission in any AC game to date.
This is design by commitee a its very worst. Feels more like an interactive excel sheet than a game. Very pretty though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realise that you're one of very few people who feel about the game this way?

Unless of course you just did one of the bigger stealth missions - I've heard many people complain about that. ;) But then they got through, it turned out not to be as difficult as first thought, and the loving resumes.

The only problem with difficulty in that game is that there isn't any. The stealth segments aren't hard at all either. They just suck because of the mechanics.

In the companion app, what disadvantage is their to speeding up a friends voyage? It takes nothing from me and add a fire barrel? I'm making a ton of cash in this app, love the ability to farm outside the game. I usually have 15-20k waiting for me each day when I fire the PS4 up. Now my ships are getting bigger, I can finally get to the longest missions with the largest pay-offs.

The only reason I am loving this game is the sailing and ship. S ship battles. I dread doing anything on land, especially anything that is ai story mission, collecting shards and doing extra assassinations is fine, but story missions : I amafraid of the next one popping up, they are just Anti-fun :p

The only reason I am loving this game is the sailing and ship. S ship battles. I dread doing anything on land, especially anything that is ai story mission, collecting shards and doing extra assassinations is fine, but story missions : I amafraid of the next one popping up, they are just Anti-fun :p
I've enjoyed quite a few of the story missions but due to typically poor control mechanics, the stealth/tail and chase missions I find tedious.

When they first revealed Assassin's Creed the suggestion was you plan missions and effect assassinations how you liked and that is a brilliant concept but it's not how the game plays out. I'm way too used to free form approaches to missions in games now (Far Cry, GTA etc) that I don't want to be punished because I went left instead of right.

I've enjoyed quite a few of the story missions but due to typically poor control mechanics, the stealth/tail and chase missions I find tedious.

When they first revealed Assassin's Creed the suggestion was you plan missions and effect assassinations how you liked and that is a brilliant concept but it's not how the game plays out. I'm way too used to free form approaches to missions in games now (Far Cry, GTA etc) that I don't want to be punished because I went left instead of right.

Yeah, the story missions are the anti-thesis of the open world they are set in. They are almost just QTEs in concept, u do one thing that was not intended:restart ! The chasing missions are the wrost for me, they might think that chasesa ree xciting, but they just aren't with thier current parkour setup where recovering from a wrong direction isn't as nimble as the actual running in one. I don't mind the stealth missions that much but there is a set way to do everything, you hardly can do anything else. When u can, its fun.

Everything outside the story missions is fun !

Alas, from Ubisoft's support site PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4 Upgrade Promotion article:

"The PS3 saved games, trophies and individual downloadable content, other ULC and pre-order content will not be carried across.."​

So much for uplay and cloud services...

Exactly my thoughts ! In fact I was sure the save gameswill carry over because of Uplay integration :( ! Well, that means I have been wasting my time playing it on the ps3 as I would just have t reply those awful initial parts again :devilish: ! WTF kindof upgrade program is this ?!?!?

Being 75% through the main game and I don't feel like an 'Assassin' and am feeling complete ambivalence toward the Templars. AC4 has done nothing so far to resonate the AC universe/storyline.

All the Assassins Creeds have so far kept my attention but after 36 hours of AC4 (at Memory Sequence 09), I'm defiantly feeling the 'meh' feeling. The lack of meaningful/emotional impact within the main storyline missions seams to be the root cause.

The fact that the stupid Assassins-VS-Templars plotline has been largely sidelined doesn't really bother me. The problem is that it's barely been replaced by something else, much less something better. Heck, even the main character doesn't really give a shit. First AC game where I find the (amusingly meta) framing device with the game company a lot more interesting than the faux-history bits.
However, none of that would've been a deal breaker if it wasn't for the insane amount of gameplay repetition. Seriously, did Ubisoft's rendition of the Caribbean sea really benefit from having 50+ featureless tiny-ass islands, each of which containing a singular chest with minuscule amounts of cash in it? Or what about the roughly 5 shipwrecked sailors and 10 loot crates you encounter per naudical square mile? Why would I even bother with pirate-resucuing side missions if said pirates absolutely litter the seas and are no more then a push of the square button away anyway? And why are the waters as busy with amusingly drunken boat captains as a lake resort during spring break? Wouldn't it have been a lot more enjoyable and immersive if you encountered fewer, stronger ships that gave you a bigger payoff instead? I also think they went way too far in dumbing down the sailing bits. In ACIII, you had to pay at least a little bit of attention to the wind. In ACIV you can just drive straight into it and it hardly slows you down at all. You can even turn right there on the spot. The boats essentially handle like cars, or rather tanks.
I'm also missing the varied locales from the earlier AC games. Going from Jerusalem to Acre, or from Florence to Venice, or even from Boston to New York was always an exciting proposition due to the dramatic shifts in scenery. In ACIV it's all kind of a wash unfortunately. Same bloody rock formations as far as the eye can see anyway, and even the bigger cities look oddly similar.
Don't get me wrong. I still think there's quite a bit of enjoyment to be had here, but when some sites go as far as to calling it the pinnacle of the series or even make it eligible for a goty award, I'm really starting to ask myself how serious they are about the whole gameplay>>>everything else thing. (and why they coninue to lambast games like Crysis for emphasizing presentation. Nevermind that gameplay in Crysis is infinitely better) The gameplay in this thing is functional at best. And unlike in proper classics with functional-at-best gameplay such as, let's say, Silent Hill2, there's no great narrative hook to fall back to either.

http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/12/15/assassin-s-creed-4-i-m-on-a-boat-and-it-sucks
Initially, captaining my own ship as it sailed from one destination to the other was empowering. I attacked random ships as they sailed by, looted their cargo, and it felt wonderful. Eventually, though, I realized that with every cannon shot I fired I was starting the same chain of events over and over again. You attack a ship, weaken it until you can board, and then you can either board it or destroy it completely. If you destroy it, you lose half the cargo it was holding and your notoriety increases, so it’s pointless. If you board it, however, you have to kill most of the crew and maybe burn a flag every once in a while. Boarding is the only real option because you can repair your ship, lower your wanted level, or add the ship to your fleet. I mean every pirate focuses on lowering their wanted level, right?

AC4 lets you ride a boat, but at a cost. What was advertised as pirate-based exploration ended up making me feel less like a pirate and more like a passenger on the designer’s journey. If Ubisoft plans to stick with the open world and the pirate theme, they should break down the barriers and pick up the pace. There should be more than one way to do things, whether it’s traveling from one place to another or boarding ships. Swashbuckling shouldn’t feel like busywork, the high seas shouldn’t feel like a giant checklist, and piracy shouldn’t have boundaries.
Exactly

I mean every pirate focuses on lowering their wanted level, right?

Not if you want the trophy for destroying a level 3 pirate hunter :)

Being 75% through the main game and I don't feel like an 'Assassin' and am feeling complete ambivalence toward the Templars. AC4 has done nothing so far to resonate the AC universe/storyline.

All the Assassins Creeds have so far kept my attention but after 36 hours of AC4 (at Memory Sequence 09), I'm defiantly feeling the 'meh' feeling. The lack of meaningful/emotional impact within the main storyline missions seams to be the root cause.

Isn't that the whole point?

Kenway isn't an Assassin but rather a third party whose involvement in this ongoing Aassassin/Templar saga is merely gaining access to the Observatory. Primarily motivated by his desire to get rich for himself and other privateers while using it as a tool against Britain and the other colonial nations.

I guess thats why the character resonates with me is because I'm more interested in making the Jack Daw the baddest mother@#$#@$ to float the seven seas. So I do the missions strictly for to earn money for upgrading the ship, which is more closely aligned with Kenway's primary motivation throughout the game.

Just started playing and I have to say I've pretty much hated it so far. The free running feels really forced and your character just gets stuck on things that contextually he really shouldn't. I think I've been spoilt by Infamous and Uncharted though as they make it all so graceful and easy.

Hopefully it'll pick up when you get your own ship, but I might not make it that far. It's too frustrating and an Amazon trade in looks likely.

Don't give up - at least find out if the part where you have your own ship (and can start to build your own fleet eventually) appeals to you, as that's the part that some people really love. For me, I loved Sid Meier's Pirates, and this is certainly better than that if you ask me.

I haven't been grabbed by a single Assassin's Creed story yet. I like the character at the beginning of Assassin's Creed 3, and I haven't even played far enough to get the other one, so can't comment on that one, but this one seems as good as any, taking itself even less seriously.

Yes, having the run and grab on the same button is really dumb, but stick with it for the ships and exploration. They basically should have had the thumb stick range from walk (slight angle) to run and then left the trigger for grab. There is almost no reason to ever walk in the game, it is far too slow.

I need to figure out the strategy for the legendary ships. I got one to 50% and my ship is almost maxed out, brutal.

Back