Mechwarrior Online (MWO) Free to Play "done right"

No, you not meant to take the 20 minutes literally

I thought he was exaggerating too until I quoted to him the official stats. He hung firm. When I gave the stat for the avg. game length of 8 minutes and pointed out the max round time he conceded down to 15 but no more. Which is interesting because I did a Conquest round the other day that ended 749 to 750 (max points each team) and the game wasn't even 10 minutes long. And rounds have a 15 minute cap. And the cherry on top is, of course, if you cannot stand waiting around while the round plays out you can leave and get in another mech. The game gives you 4 mech bays and there are 4 trial mechs.

There are a lot of things to hate in the game. People don't need to make them up. His complaint was he had to sit around for 20 minutes watching others because he always died right away. Didn't entertain changing play styles. Waved off the avg. round length. And even though he wanted rounds to go quicker he argued allowing people to leave to get into another mech was a horrible mechanics.

TLDR: He wanted respawning. :LOL:

just played MWO this morning on GMT+7. Got long wait time (searching games) but got nice fights :)

the game started evenly with every 1 robot die on my team, 1 robot enemy die too. Then the standing skewed into

me 3 left, enemy 5 left.

Our Atlas fight bravely and took down 2 mech before it got killed. On 2 Vs 2, im lucky enough to 1 hit kill 1 big mech (those that have no arm) and killing the last mech by circling around :p

I wish i can disable the critical damage warning...

I believe PGI tweaked the matchmaker to find more equal pairings (skill wise), so it takes a bit longer to find a match. I think it's working because most matches seem closer now, as you describe.

As long as it comes with Pulse Lasers :p

I am actually planning to nab the Phoenix Pack.

I'm actually thinking of building a Streaktaro because I'm sick of those goddamn little unkillable Spiders with machine guns who do nothing all game then swoop in and destroy all your components after you've won the brawl. I don't know why but these things really piss me off, enough so that I'm willing to build a special purpose mech just for eradicating them.

if MWO provide canned destruction it will be awesome. So, not only can destroy parts of mech but also parts of environments. But it will be a nightmare to balance (except if they make it very limited a-la BF3 and BF4).

I have been slaving away trying to find a Battlemaster I like and I think I have a solid build with this one:

BLR-1G(P), XL 340, 2 x AC/5 (4 tons ammo), 2 x PPC, 5 x MLas, 14 DHS, Endo, 496 armor.

I have my AC/5s bound to left mouse and the PPCs in chain fire on the right mouse. I have been hitting both mouse buttons at the same time (2xAC/5 + 1xPPC) which dishes out 20 pts. damage. You can fire like this every 2 seconds at really nice range. Get a heat warning? Just run the AC5s which at 6.66dps is pretty good sustained dps.

The 5 medium lasers are for when the battle moves in close or as a light swatter. I have had a number of opponents try to move in close to me to avoid the PPCs only to be surprised by a burst of 5 x MLas which, at closer range with a target rushing at you is pretty easy to hit an enemy with.

Not a perfect build but it seems to be a decent compromise between ranged combat and close combat so it is flexible. The XL engines allow you to move a little so you are not so easy to ambush.

I think I found another Battlemaster I like.

BLR-1D: 464 armor, Endo, 19 DHS, 3 x PPC, 2 x MLas, 3 x MG. Chain fire the PPC. A nice surpression build; has plenty of bite at a distance but if they rush in close under 90nm you let the MGs go and fire MLas with no concern for heat. With 19 DHS the heat is very manageable with this build as long as you chain fire--you can get four 3 round volleys off before you hit your heat cap. If you drop a ton of ammo you can run an XL395.

This is not a brawling build (I think my niche in MWO is ambushing) but for a support build it has been pretty good.

Back