Mechwarrior Online (MWO) Free to Play "done right"

Ahhh it is Summer so we are in PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) right now. In a couple months we will revert back to PST (Pacific Standard Time). Bah, out west we almost always just refer to the time zone as PST.

Hint: I am in Seattle :p

Mech Hit Boxes. Note specifically the Left and Right Torsos ... because ...

It comes in handy when considering an XL engine (discussion). If you have big SHOULDERS (torso) you like a Jager enemies quickly damage your shoulders which can lead to an XL death. Basically if you are a big slow mech or have huge shoulders and will be in close combat don't use XL.

Yeah... I still had fun. I did not do well tonight. I had quite a few great games this morning but tonight was pretty brutal.

Next time we go out I am gonna have saved up for this sweet little Jenner. 6 x MLas, 260XL engine (120kph), 4 JJ, AMS, and full armor.

If you run the ER PPC Spider and pot shot and I circle with the 6xMLas (30 alpha for a light is really good) we could frustrate some folks :p

On an unrelated note I got MW Mercs to run online finally. DL'd the MXT and Game Files from Atomic Gamer and then used GameRanger to start a game. I guess MekTek had a fall out and is pushing Heavy Gear and their server no longer works. Anyways just did a game with my son and it plays similar to MWO--just not as pretty ;)

I had a couple people ask me how to install MW4: Mercenaries and get it to work online.

This isn't hard or even very time consuming but you do need to do each step to play online. To play by yourself all you need to do is Step 1 and Step 5,6,7.

**Downloads**

1. Download the ~ 1.7GB zip from Atomic Gamers. (here)

2. Download the ~ 15MB Mektek installer. A number of sites have it (e.g. here)

3. Download Gameranger (online chat / game connection software for older games; here).

**Installation**

This blog on installation explains all the ins and outs and troubleshooting. But here are the basic steps.

4. Install the Mektek installer (see 2 above) as it will set the registry items.

5. Install MW4. Rename the MTX file from Atomic Gamers (see 1 above) to a ZIP file and then inzip and install.

6. Start MW4. When the login screen appears close the program.

7. Restart MW4. The reason you do this is explained here.

8. Install Gameranger (see 3). Add MW4 to your games.

**To Play**

9. To play online you need to start off in Gameranger as it will setup all the online connections for all the people in the lobby. The built in Gamespy and Mektek servers do NOT work. In theory you could unlock the various ports on your router but I have found that difficult to get everyone on the same page.

I have not played with random people but I have done a number of local games where 3 PCs were all on the same router wirelessly. We all logged in to Gameranger, started a game lobby, and effortlessly started a game. Works great every time and we have had no disconnect issues or lag.

LRM Boat. 2 x LRM20+A with 1620 ammo, AMS, XL 260, and 2 x MLas. If you play behind your Assaults and let the lights target this is a good team work setup on conquest as you can just rain in LRM. The / key will keep your rocket doors open. Just stay away from direct combat and engage at 800m+. You could tweak the build--e.g. remove AMS, remove MLas, etc and either go with Pulse lasers ... or Add an LRM10+A !!! And if you know you will work with a team (or don't care about running our of LRM and being defenseless) step down to an XL 255 and go hot with 2 x LRM20+A and 1 x LRM15+A and 1260 ammo. Use the extra half ton to shore up the leg armor or tweak to get another ton of armor.

Anyways, LRM boating has been fun! You can tweak to your hearts desire (e.g. 1x LRM20 3xLRM15) because there is some give:

- LRM5s and LRM15s have HIGHER DPS-per-ton. LRM5s do 5.5dmg comapred to LRM10s 11.0 but the LRM5 is 2 tons and the LRM10 is 5 tons. So 2xLRM5s save you a ton... at the cost of heat.

- Larger LRMs are more heat efficient.

- Artemis or not to Artemis. It really helps lock time (and use the / key to make firing faster) and focuses damage but at a cost of 1 ton per LRM. So it is better to go 2 large LRMs than 4 smaller ones IF you use Artemis.

A lot of it depends on how you plan to play. The first build, 2xLRM20+A, has an Alpha of 44. But it has 1620 ammo, DHS, 2xMLas, JJ, etc. Good PUB mech.

Going to work in a Lance with friends with voice chat? Know they have your back--someone is bringing TAG or NARC and they know to hit 'R' to target and KEEP THEM IN VIEW--then the 1xLRM20 + 3xLRM15 could be killer. Literally, with a 71.5 Alpha. You lose Artemis and only have 1080 rounds. But working in a tight team this setup would provide unparalleled long range punch.

In the Original Post (OP) I added a number of builds.

Of note:

Jagermech: The 3xAC/5 with XL 300 is a great support mech. Follow the ASSAULTS from behind. Remember AC/5s have a 620 full damage range and do damage well over 1000m. The Gauss boat is highly effective pre-patch. The STD 300 with 2xAC/5 avoids the XL torso exlposions at the cost of firepower (more of a support build). I didn't put it up there but 1xAC/20 1x/AC2 is a nice dakka.

BlackJack: 8xMLas on a speedy mech. Support role with the goal to circle around mechs in a fights and ALPHA rear armor.

Jenner: XL 300 with 6xMLas and a JJ ROCKS. A great first mech and significantly better than most lights.

Spider: ECM build with a 1xER LLas, 2xMLas, and JJ. Speedy like a real spider!

Yen Lo Wang: The ultimate kill stealer and light killer. At 106kph with speed tweak and carrying a ton of AC/20 ammo this thing can hang--and kill--lights and is fast enough to circle around larger mechs.

Catapult: This is my LRM BOAT. Stay waaaay back behind your line (watch your flank) and let the LRMs fly--it is hard to run out. At the beginning of your game say, "LRM boat here. Please hold your R locks if possible and I will rain in support."

I finally brought my KDR above 1:1. A month or so ago it was 0.6:1 (ouch). PGI nerfed my Gauss boat Jager but since then I have perfected my 3xAC/5 and picked up the Jenner and Yen Lo Wang. I would really like a Firebrand and Elite my JAGERS so I could speed tweak (full armor, AC/20, 4xMLas, AMS, and 90+ kph!!! This can keep pace with lights and is a scary flanker. Seeing people run this is pretty sweet. Not quite the same as the Yen Lo Wang, but similar.)

I just read it this morning too. Sounds like a subset of the sim community imploding on itself, though it also sounds like the company has really bad community relations.

PGI's community relations aren't that bad. It's just that the online forum community is the most angst-ridden, vitriolic, self-entitled group of assholes I've ever seen. I've not been involved in many gaming communities so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for a game in beta, but the forum community is just awful imo.

That article seems like it was written by one of the haters. I seriously wish all these disgruntled idiots who seemingly can do nothing other than criticize, condemn, and complain would actually just leave the game. Everyone would be happier. But they never do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I know much about the subject, but if the devs promised the early adopters the people who funded the game so far (ie: the hardcore) that it would be a proper sim and now theyve arcaded it (for lack of a better word) to apeal to the masses i'd be pretty upset too

Back