The Walking Dead on PC. Buy it ! *name changed*

Miksu

Regular
The Walking Dead seems like a great game. It has received multiple "Game of the year" awards and it's Metacritic score is about 90.

But damn, the PC version is just lousy. You can navigate to Settings - Controllers but only thing you're going to get is a picture which shows the key mappings. There's no way to remap the keys and there's no way to invert mouse's Y-axis. And the developers state this is by design.

And the game actually doesn't work with Windows 8, if you have gamepad plugged in. With Windows 8.1 you have to run the game in Vista compatibility mode.

So my advice is to just skip the game on PC.

edit: Or not. The game is brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game didn't really click with me either (tried on PS3). But then I don't really like zombies, so it has to be really, really special before I do still like a game when it has them (e.g. The Last of Us). I hear the iOS and Vita versions are quite good though, so who knows I may give it a retry at some point.

I have seen that a lot, unbindable game-pad controls
Thankfully my gamepad has profiling software
Also just bought Of Orcs and Men and you cant rebind the keyboard again thankfully my keyboard is programmable.

"no way to invert mouse's Y-axis."

Oh god damnit, thanks for telling me ... I might have impulse bought it at some point ... divdiv 2 was nearly ruined for me when I couldn't use inverted mouse in dragon flight, the devs also tried to pretend it wasn't an issue, but they did release a patch in the end.

Fucking developers ... you've got this huge pool of 30+ guys paying for your games who grew up playing PC games (among which a lot of flight sims, picking up the inverted mouse habit) willing to spend money and yet they can't have one single person on staff familiar with the basics of traditional PC gaming user interfaces. If they drive us away that's just going to shrink the market, we are not the majority ... but there's fucking enough of us to put in some fucking effort.

We really need a PC game development for Dummies book ... and review sites who call developers on this fucking bullshit.

They didn't invert the y-axis for Walking Dead as if flying a plane did they?

Can you use an X360 pad with the game? If so then I can thankfully avoid these issues.

That 360 gamepad turned out to be one of the best purchases I've made. Many games just work better on a pad. And the X360 pad is the best I've ever used.

It's mostly point&click anyway. Yes sometimes you have to really aim, but not often. The story is good, I enjoyed this game a lot and waiting for the next episodes.

Can you use an X360 pad with the game? If so then I can thankfully avoid these issues.

That 360 gamepad turned out to be one of the best purchases I've made. Many games just work better on a pad. And the X360 pad is the best I've ever used.

The 360 pad is natively supported. I too am very satisfied with my 360 controller purchase:smile:

My only complaints about the game is that it was a little too directed, and you always have to see all the cutscenes and conversations

"We really need a PC game development for Dummies book ... and review sites who call developers on this fucking bullshit.

As Ive always said Every company should have a Guardian of Gaming Goodness If I was working at the devs who made this game trust me this wouldnt of happened. I would be calling for his head on a plate.
On a related note Humus still refuses to name and shame the assclown who in just cause 2 thought "I know lets make all the keys bindable except for the letter "E" that should be hardcoded to the horn.
He also for the good of p.c gaming refused to beat the guy over the head with a keyboard while shouting " You must stop being a f**kwit" and post the video on youtube as a lesson to all the other idiots out there.

My pet peeves:

* Unable to invert Y axis
* Unable to skip cut scenes or conversations
* Abusing the same button to skip a dialog, and select an answer
* Missing subtitle option, or missing original language subtitles. If i cannot play it without sound, your game is dead to me
* Missing circular/infinite quick saves
* Unable to select which monitor I want the game to play on
* Annoying windowed menu screen at startup instead of jumping directly into the game
* Any setting which require to restart the game

This one is from the new reformed church of pc gaming :D

* Missing gamepad support. I'm looking at you Torchlight 2

The Walking Dead seems like a great game. It has received multiple "Game of the year" awards and it's Metacritic score is about 90.

But damn, the PC version is just lousy. You can navigate to Settings - Controllers but only thing you're going to get is a picture which shows the key mappings. There's no way to remap the keys and there's no way to invert mouse's Y-axis. And the developers state this is by design.

And the game actually doesn't work with Windows 8, if you have gamepad plugged in. With Windows 8.1 you have to run the game in Vista compatibility mode.

So my advice is to just skip the game on PC.

Seriously? Argh, can't rebind the keys? That should be freaking mandatory in any PC game. How hard can it be to allow the player to rebind their freaking keys?

Have bought the game, but haven't had the time to play it yet. Things like this and my recent problems with LA Noire, really illustrate why many people find console gaming preferable to PC gaming.

It's mostly point&click anyway. Yes sometimes you have to really aim, but not often. The story is good, I enjoyed this game a lot and waiting for the next episodes.

Is there much movement required? With the pinky that I broke which wasn't reset properly when I went to the hospital, using WASD can be extremely painful after a few minutes if I need to use anything with my pinky.

Regards,
SB

Really? Funky, I didn't have that problem, works fine on my Win8 gaming pc with the 360 gamepad.

Yeah the Walking Dead was designed with gamepad in mind, it works better with it. It's not like adventure games of old, in this game you don't point and click around but instead you drive your character around so you really want that thumbstick. Plus the entire inventory and item system is built around the gamepad, I'd strongly recommend one for this game.

I stumbled across this issue when I tried to figure out why the game would crash on startup. But it may be that this issue has since been fixed, as I eventually figured out that my startup problem wasn't related to this but rather to Win 8.1.

Ah ok makes sense, I tend to get to games very late nowadays so it's possible the issue was already fixed by the time I got around to playing the game. I do use a genuine 360 gamepad though, perhaps that's also why I never had the issue.

Sometimes it bugs out with the gamepad. I get a list of options and I have to 'guess' which response corresponds. It is solveable by pushing up on the controller.

Overall I think the game is pretty good, but one thing which bugs me is how characters forget earlier interactions -- you're not friends if you didn't side with them the last time, not counting the 3-4 other interactions.

its telltale game. Their game never free of bugs.

their previous games (back to the future, sam and max series) have nasty bug where you progress are stuck, cant advance the story.

The PC version is most probably sold at a fraction of the price of console versions (during sales, at least), so that's a valid reason to go with the PC version, at least.

Back