Has consumer pressure ruined gaming for the next decade? *spawn

I see it as predicting the future. Sit back and watch when the complaints start rolling in. Maybe I missed it, but can anyone share with me what's new on these new consoles aside from prettier pixels? Aside from a few games which were made with online specific features that look cool, all the rest are the same old same old.

Actually yeah, I expected cloud to be standard, it's 2013 after all. Aren't consoles supposed to be on the cutting edge?
Sorry but thats just you. And an online only console isnt necessarily cutting edge and nor is it all positive when in order to be "cutting edge" (yes I use " ") it enforces DRM policies and limitations resulting by an by online-only device that the consumer doesnt like.
Now the console can still support cloud AND provide the same benefits as before.
So your complaint doesnt stand.

I think it is comparable actually. Look at the Xbox 360, most of the models sold had a hard drive, but regardless all games made were built to work at the speed of optical drive. Because there was no way to guarantee everyone had a hard drive means games were tailored to the speed and bandwidth of optical media. I think GTA5 may be the first major game (coming 8 years into this generation) that will put a "requires hdd" sticker on the box.

The reason for games having to cater for Xboxes without hard-drives is a platform holder choice. It wasn't like devs could plaster that "HD" required sticker on their own will. For BIG games like GTA5, they have to make compromises to their platform guidelines. (even then, GTA doesn't really require a HDD add-on, it will work with 8GB USB flash disks). MS can bend the rules for such games. I think, otherwise, making your game hard-drive only was not something you could really choose on the Xbox platform, but I'd like to be proven false with design documents.

Also, you still haven't addressed how this new police reduces the amount of connected devices. Just because the user base has different configurations doesn't mean there's less people to target with your desired configuration. There's 0 evidence that making a console not mandatory online will make online only games obsolete (Titanfall, The Division, The Crew are online only games and the latter two is on PS4 which has never been advertised as a mandatory online console)

Until there's proof that requiring your console to check in every 24 hours lessens the amount of connected devices, there's no reason to be angry about this reversal. I dare say it will *increase* the amount of connected consoles as more people are willing to buy the console now, with the box having options.

Also I do think it would guarantee that cloud augmentations would work because I suspect all the first coming cloud augmentations would be uber latency tolerant ones to start with as people learn what to do with that extra compute, the type that can handle 24 hours of latency and low bandwidth connections. That's how I anticipated it would all start.

Oh, well then. What will they have to plaster on games that bring "true" cloud enhancements then? "A minimum of 3Mb download 798Kb upload connection required" sticker? If you think the 24 hour check is sufficient enough to bring universally good enough connections for devs to target their cloud without worrying about a segmented user base, you're simply not thinking this through.

The 24 hour mandatory online check still does not guarantee a uniform user base even for latency insensitive cloud application because:
*It was primarily devised to control second hand market and not guarantee cloud application, blocking you from playing single games.
*It tells you nothing about the quality of connection.
*It tells you nothing about the bandwidth caps.
*It tells you nothing about whether the user has unlimited data plan or limited data plan.

I think Shifty-Geezer put it really well, and here I don't see any answers that bring valid points against his arguments.

Also, as is proven by the games that are also coming on PS4, there seems to be little worry by publishers to reach gamers with connected consoles.

Now the console can still support cloud AND provide the same benefits as before.
So your complaint doesnt stand.

This. When I read comments like this, I hate myself for having written so much, when the overall message could be given so concisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Microsoft's track record with regards to online is pretty good. Before they came on the scene online in console games was primitive. Microsoft with XBLive revolutionized online play in the console space, and made standard many of the things we just come to expect from console games today. Given that it seems like they aren't a bad candidate to take use of online that one extra step towards compute, at least as far as infrastructure, tools and support is concerned.

Small studios would get cloud support as far as I know, as for Indie's I have no clue, perhaps not. I haven't followed the xb1 in much detail at all once they eliminated mandatory online so I honestly have no clue what the state of indies are on that box. On the one hand I can understand wanting indies to have full access to everything, but on the other hand you do want a base level of quality for all titles. Maybe they could do something like Steams Greenlight program, let people have full access to the box but their games can only get on the store if they get greenlit by the gamers.

So taking features that were available for PC online MP shooters and bundling it on a console is innovating? I guess we have different ideas about what innovation is... I'd say MS was smart and showed some leadership and vision but I would call that innovative.

I see it as predicting the future. Sit back and watch when the complaints start rolling in. Maybe I missed it, but can anyone share with me what's new on these new consoles aside from prettier pixels? Aside from a few games which were made with online specific features that look cool, all the rest are the same old same old.
You can't really believe that. That's driven by market economics and where publishers are willing to invest. There have been original ideas like "From Dust" and "Journey", but the reason there isn't masses of AAA original titles is because the market doesn't seem to support it (that's hard to gauge, but publishers/developer clearly believe that). You can still blame consumers for that, but it's not because MS dropped always online. With always online, we'd just have more AAA shooters and AAA racers only with MMO elements, which we're heading towards anyway because MMO means repeat plays and opportunity to monetise.

The topic is wrong, it got spawned from my post yet my post has nothing to do with that. I presume its a bogus topic just to get people to look at the thread at my expense, well whatever that's not my problem.
In a thread about the services of the consoles where internet over TV was mentioned, you brought up EU vs US internet speeds. That was spawned out to discuss that topic, and then you posted this OT complaint about how cloud computing has been killed off because MS backed down from always online (which I describe in the title as consumer pressure). Instead of deleting your posts as OT thread derailers, I picked a thread topic that I thought described your question, injected with a little of the emotion that backs your posts. I'll change it to whatever you want me to change it to if you have a better title in mind, but please don't take my attempt to manage the discussion you wanted to have and put it in the right place instead of the places you were trying to have it (this thread is what would have become of the "XB1 v PS4 business" and "EU v NA internet" threads if I hadn't moved out your content) as creating a bogus topic at your expense.

The jump in cost from developing an AAA title and what's considered AA, mid tier, titles is drastic. It's just not feasible for anyone except the big guys. That's not a bad thing, in fact, it's an okay situation.

The thread title is, have consumer and developer realities been properly addressed by console manufacturers?

Not every game needs an online component.

And all consoles this gen are still going to have big online components. It hasn't gone away at all, it's just now mostly optional. For many, just as with the PC, going digital will be fine for them, this just eases the transition.

I wouldn't put it as prettier pixels as a lot of the stuff (cloud based physics for non-latency important effects, for example) doesn't actually make any of the pixels prettier. I'd say more along the lines of a more believable, dynamic, and coherent world. Along with things that could potentially affect gameplay but not in a "twitch" sense.

Regards,
SB

Agreed. Technically not pretty pixels but eye candy.

This is Joker's problem yes ? MP games take care of themselves, lighting is the only other things that can be offloaded to the Cloud at this point, leaving only AI routines and non-interactive physics in SP games as the only vectors of INNOVATION in games according to his OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fanboys" saved Microsoft from yet another embarrassment in the marketplace. Digital literacy, the total amount of internet subscribers, and cost would have been major issues for Microsoft in the United States. Nearly a third of the US population had no Internet connection in 2012. MS didn't have any tangible partnerships with providers in place leading up to launch and showed no indication they were prepared to educate those with Internet connections why in the world they'd purchase a gaming console. Xbox One would've had a small install base because of the rejection by core gamers, so it's unclear why any sane studio would've been investing in the platform and selling the cloud for Microsoft. Luckily there was a 180, so we don't have to worry about the Xbox One getting steamrolled by a competent competitor who lost everything the previous cycle.

So Joker is basically disregarding the achievements of the last decade that have been made with on-line multiplayer gaming? What about Warhawk, Dust 541, Little Big Planet? What about the UGC in Infamous? The greatest thing holding most of these back wasn't access to the internet or the 'cloud'. It was the physical limitations of the boxes themselves, especially the tiny amount of RAM available. That limitation has been demolished this time around.

Gaming hasn't been ruined by anything. The whole notion is just stupid and not a little childish. Just because MS's attitude to barging in and attempting to force the issue blew up in their faces, it hasn't affected the course of gaming evolution one iota. They spat their dummy and got a very public slapping. It's not a big deal.

At least this way MS has got a chance of getting the XB180 into peoples living rooms with time to lick their wounds and get their act together.

For people that don't think it would technically matter I'll throw this out there. Every platform has code custom written for it, so it's not always a lowest common denominator situation. So for example just because power pc was the lowest common denominator doesn't mean that games were all written in 100% power pc code, time will be taken to customize it to spu (guaranteed available) on ps3, or say vmx (guaranteed available) on 360. So when the case is made that ps4 not having guaranteed internet means no 3rd party would support cloud on a guaranteed internet xb1, that's not necessarily true.

Sorry, this is just nonsense.

This isn't some random peripheral we're talking about, the Internet itself is readily available, and can be counted on to be there in very high %'s.

As a developer, writing a cross platform game, you would simply use something like Microsoft Azure,or Amazon AWS, you would write an abstraction layer for use in your game, and you're off to the races. You simply need to pay your bill on time each month.

It's not analogous to a peripheral, it's not analogous to writing platform specific code. It's a service, that is available today, right now, in massive quanities for low prices. If Dev's need it, if they can justify a real use for it, they can use it.

Also, I would hope the future does not consist of "Always Online" devices as you seem to see them.

The future will consist of "intelligent" devices, that use connections when they show up, and don't need them if they're not there.

The future is not hostile to the user, it does not assume the user is a thief.

It simply facilitates amazing online experiences, and for that, everyone turns it on. There is no offline "Lock Out", It doesn't need to force itself on you, you will just want it.

The jump in cost from developing an AAA title and what's considered AA, mid tier, titles is drastic. It's just not feasible for anyone except the big guys. That's not a bad thing, in fact, it's an okay situation.

I wouldn't say that. The title Below by an independent developer (although in this case Microsoft may have decided to publish it in order to get around the publisher requirement for Xbox One games) is going to be cloud based.

Made by Capybara games (http://www.capybaragames.com/ ).

I'm personally interested to see what they do with it. As well with it being a roguelike game, that makes me even more interested.

Regards,
SB

Goodness, way too much to reply to, but I still think most people are both completely missing the point and also totally disregarding history in the process.

The whole "without the online requirement embedded in the console nobody will make us of teh cloud!" argument is stupid.

No, I'm saying now that it's optional it will take far longer to become used to it's potential, just like anything else that's optional. History has shown this many times.

There's already a genre of games that target people with (somewhat) stable online connections, even when the platform doesn't guarantee it. You may have heard of them, from what I gather they sell very well. They're called ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAMES.

The multiplayer space has moved forward at a glacially slow pace because it's been optional. I guess people are forgetting how primitive it was in the ps2 era. It limped along that entire generation because it was optional, before it finally took off in this generation. That's a really long time! Look at the pc space as well, they had internet available forever yet how many years did it finally take for someone to take a chance on an mmo using that optional internet connection? And that's on heavily connected pc's! Now imaging how that affects consoles.

If the cloud is so amazingly great for gaming, where are the goods? Didn't Microsoft designed the Xbox One to be always online from the beginning? Where are all the amazing features only possible because of the cloud? They don't exist because it's only PR vaporware.

They don't exist because it takes time, c'mon now you know this as I presume you are a coder. New ideas don't get coded overnight, why are suddenly people expecting revolutionary ideas before the damn device is even being sold to the market? It takes years of joint worldwide effort for the killer ideas to hit and it also takes standardized features. Now it will take much longer because it can't always be counted on to be there hence it will be treated like an optional item, just lime multiplayer was treated on the ps2.

The reason for games having to cater for Xboxes without hard-drives is a platform holder choice. It wasn't like devs could plaster that "HD" required sticker on their own will. For BIG games like GTA5, they have to make compromises to their platform guidelines. (even then, GTA doesn't really require a HDD add-on, it will work with 8GB USB flash disks). MS can bend the rules for such games. I think, otherwise, making your game hard-drive only was not something you could really choose on the Xbox platform, but I'd like to be proven false with design documents.

Going hdd only was a sales death wish, there is no way that would be approved by your publisher. Good luck with that. Hdd being optional is why it wasn't made mandatory in games.

Also, you still haven't addressed how this new police reduces the amount of connected devices.

If you can't guarantee it, you can't guarantee being allowed to use it by your dev manager and publisher, simple as that.

There's 0 evidence that making a console not mandatory online will make online only games obsolete

It won't make them obsolete, it just means they will take far longer to become mainstream.

The 24 hour mandatory online check still does not guarantee a uniform user base even for latency insensitive cloud application because:

*It was primarily devised to control second hand market and not guarantee cloud application, blocking you from playing single games.
*It tells you nothing about the quality of connection.
*It tells you nothing about the bandwidth caps.
*It tells you nothing about whether the user has unlimited data plan or limited data plan.

Argh, this is getting a bit frustrating, why can't people see this? You don't need a 1 ms ping 30000mbps connection with 75TB monthly bandwidth to make cloud useful. Even a 24 hour latency and bandwidth limited cell phone connection speed can be incredibly useful if you can guarantee it, because the point is you just have to guarantee internet being there to get everyone coding for it. My goodness, that's the point guys! It's like people have blocked out history here. Make it standard and the worlds brainpower gets behind it, that's when good things happen. Look how long it took the cd drive to become useful in games. For ages it was optional and hence was treated as such, it limped around for countless years before it's potential in games became apparent because it was optional. The same with online, it's been available for what 15 years and yet we're just now getting new match making techniques. Look at multiplayer in detail, it's taken an *eternity* for it to get to where it's at now because being optional means it was still largely treated as such. Yes multiplayer is expected in many games today, but look at what multiplayer support games typically get, it's the same things that have been offered for years. People seem to have revisionist history here, everything that has been optional hasn't necessarily died, but it's taken decades to reach it's potential as they plodded along at the speed of optional.

So taking features that were available for PC online MP shooters and bundling it on a console is innovating?

No, the general state of online now points to why more innovation is needed. Online really hasn't changed much in years, making internet and cloud standard could have helped accelerate progress in that realm.

You can't really believe that. That's driven by market economics and where publishers are willing to invest.

They are willing to invest where they are allowed to. Something being optional generally means they are not allowed to invest there.

...and then you posted this OT complaint about how cloud computing has been killed off because MS backed down from always online

If your internet connection is optional then yes, for this new generation it has been effectively killed off. Has it been killed off long term? No, it's inevitable. But look at multiplayer on ps2 to get a feel of how anything optional gets treated in a generation. Just like the modem peripheral on ps2, or the cd peripheral on the turbo grafx, or whatever other optional items you care to mention, they get support but it will never be supported like it could have been if it was guaranteed to be there.

This isn't some random peripheral we're talking about, the Internet itself is readily available, and can be counted on to be there in very high %'s.

No it can't be counted on being there! It's now officially treated as optional, assuming you've been in the business means you should know exactly how anything optional gets treated. What do you think would happen now if you suggested using cloud on xb1 in a meeting? If you said "internet can be counted on to be there" how do you think others would respond to you? The answer is a resounding "no", it can't be counted on to be there so now you have to fight to support it. You know exactly how that goes, unless you have serious pull at the company you work at or if Microsoft is bankrolling it, then good luck!

It's not analogous to a peripheral, it's not analogous to writing platform specific code. It's a service, that is available today, right now, in massive quanities for low prices. If Dev's need it, if they can justify a real use for it, they can use it.

I completely disagree, it's not the same thing whatsoever. Platform specific code is just that, code written for pieces of hardware unique to a platform that are guaranteed to be there. IF a piece of hardware was optional to a platform, like the hdd on the 360 or the ram expansion unit on the Nintendo 64, then it largely gets ignored.

The future is not hostile to the user, it does not assume the user is a thief.

This is the fundamental problem with most people, they think always connected always implies they are a thief. It's also why things get held back for so many years as we wait for old limits to die off and new more accepting users to come into the fold.

As for everyone else, it will take too long to reply but I'll just repeat my main point here. No, cloud hasn't been killed, I still think it's inevitable. It has just been slowed to a crawl by denying mass developer acceptance. Sorry but this has been proved time and time and time again over the years with cd drives, gpu's, multiplayer, etc. No those things didn't die off but they took decades to become what they became rather than what they could have been in a far less time if they were accepted as standard. Optional == delayed, simple as that.

No one is suggesting you need a super fast connection to take advantage of cloud but that the minimal once every 24 hours check in minimum was still far below even the basic requirements for cloud.
Cloud will cater to those that have the connection for it just as it was going to be before the policy reversal.

No one is suggesting you need a super fast connection to take advantage of cloud but that the minimal once every 24 hours check in minimum was still far below even the basic requirements for cloud.

See even there I don't agree, I think far too many people are thinking of cloud in terms of milliseconds of latency, which it doesn't need to be to be useful. Heck I'd go as far as making 24 hour cloud latency ideas a question on interviews to be perfectly honest. People need to disconnect themselves from treating cloud as part of the real-time render pipeline, there's far more interesting ideas to be conjured up with minutes or even hours long of latency. This is why you need everyone on board getting their minds cracking on the problem. It's like the equivalent of when cd's came to the scene of gaming and of course most first ideas were about full motion video, because that's all they saw cd's as to begin with, as a vast storage medium on which to store videos. Same with cloud, everyone keeps thinking ok how does it help bring down the ~16ms of a render frame. To which I keep saying no no no, don't think of it that way! People need to jump out of the box and think far more broadly than that. The 24 hour internet check was perfectly adequate to get the cloud creative juices flowing, and as I've also argued before it's what I would suggest all developers start with, ie very heavy latency ideas measured in minutes or even hours of latency.

Cloud will cater to those that have the connection for it just as it was going to be before the policy reversal.

That minimum also wasn't assuming that a person only connects their console to the internet once every 24 hours.

It was there in case a user had an unforeseen internet outage. Hence, it could be assumed that 99% of the time, the user basically has full internet access.

Why? Because how many people connect a non-mobile device to the internet and then physically disconnect and reconnect it on a regular basis? I'd say closer to 0% than 1% of users with non-mobile physical devices that connect to the internet.

Hence, prior to online becoming optional for Xbox One, a user could be expected to be connected to the internet with their Xbox One for at least 99% of the time.

Now? With it being optional, a developer and more importantly a publisher cannot know whether an Xbox One will ever be connected to the internet.

Now, in 1-2 years time perhaps we'll get luck and Microsoft will have data showing that greater than 90% of Xbox One users have their machines connected to the internet. But it'll be almost impossible for them to determine that. If 20 million Xbox Ones have been sold but only 12 million are connecting. Does that mean 8 million are actively being used but not connected? Or are some of them basically gathering dust for one reason or another. So perhaps only 6 million are actively being used but not online? 4 million? 1 million?

Either way you just went from 100% of active Xbox One users having their box connected to internet to something less than 100%. You went from a sure thing with regards to publishers knowing there will be a box with a universal connection to a box where you can basically just pull a number out of your bum and guess how many actually have a connection that are actually using their box to play games.

The only other hope that we have for progress will be if Titanfall, Destiny, The Division and other games that require an always online connection sell in mega-blockbuster numbers (Halo/COD/GTA type numbers). At which point we may hopefully see the same progress as we would have seen if Xbox One was assumed to be always connected.

And at that point if we're lucky then most games on Xbox One and PS4 will require an always online connection.

Regards,
SB

So Joker is basically disregarding the achievements of the last decade that have been made with on-line multiplayer gaming? What about Warhawk, Dust 541, Little Big Planet? What about the UGC in Infamous? The greatest thing holding most of these back wasn't access to the internet or the 'cloud'. It was the physical limitations of the boxes themselves, especially the tiny amount of RAM available. That limitation has been demolished this time around.

Gaming hasn't been ruined by anything. The whole notion is just stupid and not a little childish. Just because MS's attitude to barging in and attempting to force the issue blew up in their faces, it hasn't affected the course of gaming evolution one iota. They spat their dummy and got a very public slapping. It's not a big deal.

At least this way MS has got a chance of getting the XB180 into peoples living rooms with time to lick their wounds and get their act together.

For a moment in time . 8 gigs of ram is actually nothing. I have 16 gigs for just system ram and another 3 gigs for video in my 3 year old computer. After the xbox and ps4 launch we will get even newer cpus with acess to even faster ddr 4 with higher densitys and new graphics cards with ever more power and ram we will be back at the same situation even faster than this gen i'd wager.

Hell it wont be much longer till phones surpass these consoles . but phones will have the allways on capabilities.

I find what happened no matter who is at fault ruined this generation

There was already a 24hr offline period to cater for, and so games were expected to work offline.

I can't see why a cloud power revolution would stall because of the changes. Few X1 users won't always be connected.

There was already a 24hr offline period to cater for, and so games were expected to work offline.

I can't see why a cloud power revolution would stall because of the changes. Few X1 users won't always be connected.

It all comes down to this.

If when you buy the box it has a big sticker on it that says "Broadband internet REQUIRED", then you can assume that everyone of your potential customers has an internet connection.

If it doesn't then that sticker needs to go on game boxes and publishers have no idea what percentage of the user base they are excluding by not supporting offline play. And trust me Sales departments do not want you to exclude any potential customers.

It all comes down to this.

If when you buy the box it has a big sticker on it that says "Broadband internet REQUIRED", then you can assume that everyone of your potential customers has an internet connection.

If it doesn't then that sticker needs to go on game boxes and publishers have no idea what percentage of the user base they are excluding by not supporting offline play. And trust me Sales departments do not want you to exclude any potential customers.

Likewise, like Shifty Geezer pointed out, if they plastered this on the box itself, sure, those potential customers would have been pre-excluded. Bearing in mind, the DRM would also exclude people with broadband internet but doesn't like the idea of console being mandatory-online (e.g. people taking their console to their summer house for 2 weeks with no connection, who would otherwise have 50 weeks of internet access would opt to get PS4.) Xbox would be limiting the target population for no valid reason.

And sales departments would probably worry about the PS4. Which is not a mandatory online console.

Back