3D technology discussion and survey

Hey Beyond 3D message board users,

I am a master’s student currently studying my MSc International Management; I am doing my dissertation on 3D technology and its impact on the motion picture industry. I have created a short online survey, which you can find here;

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=to0bndqxkdk6utn287121

I am conducting this survey in order to gain the opinions of the mass audience and thought the best place for a high response from a variety of different people will be on Beyond3D website. Details of my research are in the link to my survey.

I'd also be really interested on your thoughts on whether 3D films have a long-term future so please post your thoughts below!

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Glad you've included some very important questions on topics that are usually avoided by the mainstream media when reviewing 3d technology

Ethnicity
Religion (annoyed pc gaming isnt listed it is the worlds 4th most popular religion tied with Hinduism)
Sexual Orientation

I enjoyed the disclaimer:

Disclaimer said:
You should only participate if you want to; choosing not to take part will not disadvantage you in any way.

I was glad to know you wouldn't murder my family, should I choose not to take part in the study. Faced with such gracious leniency, I was moved to complete the survey anyway.

That said, I think you may have been misled by the name of this website—Beyond3D is about computer graphics, not stereoscopy in movies.

I agree with Alexko, but I filled out your survey.

Glad you've included some very important questions on topics that are usually avoided by the mainstream media when reviewing 3d technology

Ethnicity
Religion (annoyed pc gaming isnt listed it is the worlds 4th most popular religion tied with Hinduism)
Sexual Orientation

Lol I keep getting asked that question! I was hoping to make trends with that info.

I enjoyed the disclaimer:

I was glad to know you wouldn't murder my family, should I choose not to take part in the study. Faced with such gracious leniency, I was moved to complete the survey anyway.

That said, I think you may have been misled by the name of this website—Beyond3D is about computer graphics, not stereoscopy in movies.

lmao I was forced to put that in by my dissertation supervisor :p

glasses free motion holograms. I.e. not stereoscopic. At lot of researchers are working on this and it's only a matter of time until there are acceptable solutions on the market. MIT has presented some good research in the past couple years.

competitive with what, with plain 24fps 2D, with other technologies improving quality like higher framerate (that unfortunatly dont get pushed as excessively in the market).

My pet peeves are the glasses (I already wear a set), bad 3D conversions, weird uncomfortable perspective probably thanks to the wide angles in movies. Cant think of anything positive, with games there is usually a better effect than movies, but the 2D Version still looks miles better.

Get me built-in head-tracking in TVs, that is alot immersive than 3D for me.

who says I care much for non-interactive entertainment? If movies cant catch up to games, then its their own fault ;)

If it really wasnt clear, I want the camera/sensor included in TVs and standardized protocols used for them, ideally transmitted over the HDMI-Cable.. and not custom solutions stacked on top of them. Thats more value and better research subject to me than a 3D-Ready TV.

Dolby's glasses free 3D TV tech looks pretty good. I only saw it on a show floor so I couldn't control the content, but the picture was clear which I can't say for other glasses free products I've seen. It's a 4k display and they use the extra pixels to display different views. There are 28 sweet spots and the image is clear but looks less 3D between the sweet spots.

The tech is being licensed and will probably ship sometime in 2014.

Why does it have White or Irish Traveler as an ethnicity? I've never seen that before and not really sure how they are disparate or why the latter is intentionally singled out.

I love how you offer a choice of "other" against both gender and sexual orientation. Would love to see what kind of responses you get to those!

In response to where it will go from here, I expect gaming will lead the way in terms of 3d and the next big advancement is likely to be VR type 3d that fills your whole field of vision and incorporates head tracking. Once we have that widely commercialy available at reasonable prices I think the market will rocket foward with new ways to incorporate the rest of your senses (most importantly movement and touch) coming along thick and fast leading ultimately to some kind of holodeck like experience.

That's definately the end game of 3d but who knows how soon we'll get there.

Why does it have White or Irish Traveler as an ethnicity? I've never seen that before and not really sure how they are disparate or why the latter is intentionally singled out.

They're not very common outside of Ireland and the UK, so you wouldn't see this category in a US study.

But this appears to be a British or Irish study, so it makes sense to have this group mentioned.

Back