Mediatek 8xA7 @ 2Ghz ?

Cortex-A12 ought to provide very good performance in a more budget-ish device, I'd have thought? It did seem a bit odd that a chip purportedly containing Cortex-A17 was announced pretty much as soon as ARM released any information about it.

On the other hand, I'm currently on a bit of downer about Mediatek after I discovered that they are refusing to release source code for their chips (though GPL'd) and are even requesting fees for access to the source! Not only that, but they aren't providing patches for security holes (or at least the many Chinese OEMs aren't) and with no source, there is no easy way fix them either. Not to mention the fact that they aren't taking support for any current chips past Android 4.2 at the moment. A real shitty way to run a business:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/have-you-paid-your-linux-kernel-source-license-fee/

Wouldn't surprise me to see Android 4.3 or even 4.4 roms with the MT6595, but as things stand, you'd be daft to expect upgrades past there.

Everything in that XDA article is false or unsubstantiated accusations, ignore it. That smart-watch company apparently didn't even have a license for distribution.

Really? *shrugs*

Regardless, this doesn't change the fact that Mediatek do not release source code and this is a real problem. Whether this will change or not, I don't know, but it does rather go against the whole spirit of open source Android.

Edit:

This rumour doesn't indicate the source code will be released but, if true, an upgrade to KitKat would be very welcome:

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/04/04/kitkat-coming-mediatek-phones-month-report/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that will be an Octa-core Cortex-A53, not a big.LITTLE chip as the article suggests. If they had an A57 chip, you'd have thought they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

It didn't ought to be too much of a leap from an Octa Cortex-A7 to the A53, so it would be a good mid-range chip, though not comparable to a Snapdragon 810.

I'm actually using a Chinese phone with the Octa-A7 MT6592 at the moment. Good, budget chip with decent performance and (pleasingly) good GPS as well, which is unusual for Mediatek chips, I understand.

I don't think I'll ever find myself buying a phone from one of the major brands again as you can buy a great phone for a relative pittance from some very good Chinese manufacturers these days. I'm willing to stay a step behind the performance curve for the good value.

If this was the case, it just seems to me a little strange that they aren't shouting from the rooftops that they are releasing an A57 device shortly?

Oh, actually, I see that they have already announced an Octa-A53:

http://www.mediatek.com/en/news-eve...atest-lte-product-to-enable-super-mid-market/

I suppose this ought to indicate that the MT6795 is something different, so it probably is the A53/A57 chipset. I only just noticed that the 'leak' about this chip claims availability in 12/2014 which would be sensible for this sort of a product.

It's a shame that Mediatek won't be changing GPU between MT6595 and MT6795. They're changing CPU cores for the A5x variants but the G6200 only goes from 600 to 700MHz, a 16% upclock.

Then again, the MT6595 seems to be extremely short lived. That roadmap says it'll be replaced within 4,5 months.

I can't wait to see what the kind of devices the MT6595 will bring. It has everything: great CPU/GPU performance, integrated LTE, great ISP, dual channel LPDDR3..
It's like a Snapdragon 801 for 200€ devices. We won't be able to tell a functional difference between a Galaxy S5 and a THL/Cubot/iNew that uses a Sony sensor for the camera (which is almost all of their >120€ phones).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame that Mediatek won't be changing GPU between MT6595 and MT6795. They're changing CPU cores for the A5x variants but the G6200 only goes from 600 to 700MHz, a 16% upclock.

I'm assuming that it still hits the price/performance mark that they want. Also, although far from staggering, the clock improvement is still useful, and they get it without any increase in die space. Given they compete at the low price end, they have to be constantly sensitive to die area more so than some others.

I'm assuming that it still hits the price/performance mark that they want. Also, although far from staggering, the clock improvement is still useful, and they get it without any increase in die space. Given they compete at the low price end, they have to be constantly sensitive to die area more so than some others.

Smartphones aside, their 8135 is in more than one regard boring compared to the Allwinner A80.

Smartphones aside, their 8135 is in more than one regard boring compared to the Allwinner A80.

More than one regard?
From what I can tell, it's just a difference of G6230 vs. G6200. Everything else looks the same.

Besides, what exactly is the difference between G6230 and G6200?

More than one regard?
From what I can tell, it's just a difference of G6230 vs. G6200. Everything else looks the same.

MT8135 = 2*A15@1.5GHz peak +2*A7, G6200@600MHz
A80 = 4*A15@2.0GHz peak*4*A7, G6230@780MHz

Sometimes you also get influenced by final products. Now you tell me which of the two looks more "boring" (and yes the price difference will be small...)

http://www.merimobiles.com/teclast-...-32g-rom-ultra-thin-tablet-pc_p/meri10390.htm
http://www.merimobiles.com/teclast-p98-9-7-inch-2gb-32gb-3g-tablet-pc_p/meri10265.htm

Besides, what exactly is the difference between G6230 and G6200?
Framebuffer compression for the first and a bunch of F16 ALUs ;)

MT8135 = 2*A15@1.5GHz peak +2*A7, G6200@600MHz
A80 = 4*A15@2.0GHz peak*4*A7, G6230@780MHz

They are actually spec'ing it @780mhz, or is that an extrapolation from a glbench result?

As you know, some database entries are either plainly false, or running in unrealistic conditions.

They are actually spec'ing it @780mhz, or is that an extrapolation from a glbench result?

Yes it's from the glbench result; I haven't seem them claiming a frequency for it anywhere.

As you know, some database entries are either plainly false, or running in unrealistic conditions.
Last time I asked there was no active cooling on the Allwinner and that's 40% ahead in Manhattan than a G6200@600MHz in the MT6595. There are unfortunately no MT8135 results yet anywhere to be seen and seeing how many octacore 6592/8382 SoCs MTKs partners use for tablets that one and only Teclast MT8135 tablet I was able to find so far doesn't sound like all too many are interested or Mediatek isn't just pushing it.

You know "boring" can stand for many things, amongst others also useless marketing wash but you can sell today especially in China any OCTACORE way better than anything else.

Last but not least and not directly relevant to all the above the Alcatel D820 is the first device I see with a Mediatek SoC in it with a quite competitive driver overhead score.

Yes it's from the glbench result; I haven't seem them claiming a frequency for it anywhere.

Last time I asked there was no active cooling on the Allwinner and that's 40% ahead in Manhattan than a G6200@600MHz in the MT6595.

The following video shows an A80 "performance board" with a fan on top of the soc, I think this was the board that a lot of those big benchmarks came from. ( look from 5:40 onwards), it has that rather annoying interviewer.

http://armdevices.net/2014/04/13/wi...-octa-big-little-in-tablets-performancepower/

Let's just say that I asked after that annoying interview someone far less annoying and far more reliable about it ;)

http://www.gsmdome.com/new-details-...-get-three-different-variants-clocked-2-5-ghz

the MT6595 will be announced tomorrow only...and the MT6795 is supposed to replace the MT6595 already in 6-7 months. Why this short cycle? Is the MT6595 so late?

I think it's MediaTek themselves who made a very aggressive update plan for 2014:

DSilJff.jpg

The MT6592 will also be replaced by MT6752 within half a year, and the low-budget MT6582 will also be replaced by MT6732 within the same period.

It looks like MediaTek will be trying very hard to beat Qualcomm at bringing a complete ARMv8/64-bit line-up (all with integrated LTE cat4) before 2015.
Besides, Qualcomm seems to be very late at everything in comparison. S805 should have been on this year's Q2 flagships (looking at their roadmaps at least), S808 seems way too late claiming to be available somewhere in H1 2015, S410 is nowhere to be seen in any device thus far and there isn't any follow-up to S200 announced.

As for tomorrow, there seems to be 3 versions for MT6595. The vanilla version will go up to 2.2GHz, the "M" will go up to 2.0GHz and there's a "turbo" version for up to 2.5GHz.
I wonder if they'll announce any design wins tomorrow. Everything else about MT6595 has gone public for a while now so I don't know why else they would make another "launch party".

Back