Are the rechargeable Xbox One batteries li ion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC the PS3 / X360 were harder to compare, being completely different and all, and even then, most people here knew that they would be roughly the same or even picked the X360 as performing better in most cases. This time they have very similar hardware and are easier to compare, aren't they?

You should go back and read some of the discussion around the time of the PS3 announcement.
There very few on here not enamored by the large flop ratings of Cell.

If you're referring to the handheld controller, didn't the presentation suggest it was standard AAs, like the current 360 controller...?
That would suck though. Why aren't they accepting outsourced rechargeable alkaline batteries this time around?

Charge and Play kits should be a lot better now because they behaved erratically in the past. Giving people a solid option to choose rechargeable alkaline batteries and not only a charge and play peripheral is the way to go, imho.

yes I have four pair of eneloops and two charges... overkill and no battery trash

yes, I'd rather stick to regularly rotated Eneloops. I hate internal batteries because I don't want to disassemble controllers. I hate how phones are moving to internal batteries that are not swappable.

What are the best eneloops and best price for them ?

Different strokes for different folks. I like to be given choice. Sometimes it's easier to just throw on another battery pack(AA or rechargeable) without having to hook up the charging cable. Anyway, they give you 3 choices: 1) Controller for a lower price with AA batteries. 2) Get #1 but also purchase the Plug & Play Charge kit now or later when it's easy for you. 3) Controller for a premium price that includes the Plug & Play Charge Kit.

What's to stop you from going with #3 now? True it won't come in the XB1 box, but oh well.

Tommy McClain
Don't remind me of MS' play and charge kit. The battery packs stopped reliably holding a charge after a year and now functions as a glorified wired controller. In comparison I have a launch sixaxis that works perfectly.

Why is it so difficult for them to make a rechargable controller with Li Ion batteries inside ? AAs is sooooooooooooooo 2000s.

Bad design choice.... or is it just $$$$ to sell you an extra Li Ion battery pack ?

Because rechargeable batteries, even LI-ON, degrade over time. If I can't replace the batteries, eventually the controller would become relatively useless to me as it wouldn't hold a decent charge.

Happens with my e-Readers (have to replace the whole freaking e-Reader, argh!), happens with phones (which is why I get phones with replaceable batteries (I like to keep mine for longer than 2 years), happens with laptops, tablets, etc.

Now, they could have gone with a proprietary battery pack if they were greedy. Thankfully they just use bog standard AA's so you can save money if you wish to, or not.

Regards,
SB

Would have been nice if had put it next to an X360 controller so that we could compare the size.

Regards,
SB

Like this?

Xbox_One_Controller_NelsonTweet1.jpg

or this?

top-580-100.jpg

More pics here....

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...-xbox-one-gamepad-vs-xbox-360-gamepad-1158091

Tommy McClain

Don't remind me of MS' play and charge kit. The battery packs stopped reliably holding a charge after a year and now functions as a glorified wired controller. In comparison I have a launch sixaxis that works perfectly.

Just to add to anectdotal evidence... My play and charge kit is going fine even after 6 years.

Because rechargeable batteries, even LI-ON, degrade over time. If I can't replace the batteries, eventually the controller would become relatively useless to me as it wouldn't hold a decent charge.

Happens with my e-Readers (have to replace the whole freaking e-Reader, argh!), happens with phones (which is why I get phones with replaceable batteries (I like to keep mine for longer than 2 years), happens with laptops, tablets, etc.

Now, they could have gone with a proprietary battery pack if they were greedy. Thankfully they just use bog standard AA's so you can save money if you wish to, or not.

Regards,
SB

True but my experience of the Li-Ion packs in my two launch six-axis and launch DS3 is that even with intensive use they still hold up. My Six axis hold a charge for what seems like a week, the DS3 is down to 8-9 hours at a guess which is definitely a lot worse but not so bad as to screw me up. I prefer the elegance of the internal battery from a design point of view and really hated the proprietary charging for the 360 pad, thank god they've gone to mini-usb for this go around. I have a nice long mini-usb lead that is just brilliant for charging my PS pads and it cost a hell of a lot less than a 'play & charge' kit.

i dont understand why xb1 play and charge kit not use Li-ion or Li-poly AA battery.

this way, people can use normal AA battery
people that want easy charging with long lifespan can buy the Play and Charge kit that include AA lithium battery.

NiMH battery that i use on X360 controller are hillarious. It took 5 hours to charge and it take even longer when i need to "Refresh" it. In a year, that eneloop battery also loss lots of charge when playing game constantly that have rumble. But still works fine if i disable rumble.

lithium AA battery rechargeable
http://www.batteryjunction.com/14500-category.html
its just 3.5 dollar :p

but i dont know wether i can use that on X1 gamepad charger.

EDIT:
i think you should be able to use it on X1 gamepad but only use ONE and hard-wire the other free battery slot and put a resistor.
or just use a resistor to hardwire the free battery slot.
that one battery works on 3.5v. Its 0.5 overvoltage.

but how to charge it... a mistery.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Eneloop solution with Xbox controllers. So many other things in the house use AAs anyway that we have small stockpile of eneloops and just rotate them through all the devices that use them. I've had a few instances where the battery's run out on my DS3 and the couch is too far from the console to plug it in so it effectively ended my gaming session. Also, having the AA's means you can store the controllers wherever you want instead of having to tether them to the console when not in use.

NiMH battery that i use on X360 controller are hillarious. It took 5 hours to charge and it take even longer when i need to "Refresh" it. In a year, that eneloop battery also loss lots of charge when playing game constantly that have rumble. But still works fine if i disable rumble.

you have some defective eneloops...

the new design just looks so classy. makes the old controller look like a tonka toy...

the best feature is instant switching of controller and no more finicky priority. On the 360, if I'm using a controller as controller 1 and then I want to switch to a joystick on controller 1, it's very finicky. Often times, it'll turn on as controller 2 even if you turn off controller 1 first. Even resyncing the controller doesn't fix the problem. A lot of times people end up either rebooting the system or logging off controller 1 and logging onto controller 2 to continue the game.

but with the One, you just pick up the second controller and that becomes the default controller.

AA batteries in 2013. Talk about a vision of the future.

My only remaining device with batteries that aren't integrated lithium are my Wii controllers and my smoke detector. NiMH self-discharge, and alcalines are a huge waste. There's no justification to have such a backwards power source today.

(Also have an AV remote but it has Lithium AA that are still going fine after 2 years of daily use, they don't really count, they're "forever" batteries, but I still wish it was a slim integrated li-poly)

How on earth is Microsoft giving you a choice of:

a. lithium-ion batteries (in their power pack kit)
b. normal AAs (dirt cheap at Costco)
c. any AA rechargeable batteries you care to use (enloops, whatever)

a bad thing?!

I'd much rather have the choice of using bog-standard AAs in a pinch than not have the ability to swap out the battery at all.

It takes more engineering to make a controller that can deal with AAs, NiMH rechargeables, and Li-Ion cells all at once, than if you just stick a Li-Po in, make it non-user-serviceable and call it a day.

:oops:

My only remaining device with batteries that aren't integrated lithium are my Wii controllers and my smoke detector. NiMH self-discharge, and alcalines are a huge waste. There's no justification to have such a backwards power source today.

(Also have an AV remote but it has Lithium AA that are still going fine after 2 years of daily use, they don't really count, they're "forever" batteries, but I still wish it was a slim integrated li-poly)

Interesting. The only devices I have without replaceable batteries are my eReaders and slate tablet. Everything else I specifically get with replaceable batteries.

Everything else has them. Remote controls, cell phone, laptop, convertible tablet, camera, portable clock, temperature probe for cooking, temperature probe for body, flashlights, headlamps (hiking on mountain trails in the dark you definitely don't want to not be able to replace those batteries with something easily purchased in a store), headlight for bicycle, kitchen scale... And the list goes on.

I really dislike devices without user replaceable batteries. Even better if they are a standard form factor. Like AAA, AA, or 9 volt. For example I wish my Sony Camera used standard batteries instead of the custom (and expensive) battery pack. But then I realize that Sony is just trying to make money with the batteries as well as the camera. Thank goodness you don't have to do that with the Xbox controller.

Regards,
SB

PS4 -(if like the ps3 controllers) Play games with friends , controller goes bad... use another controller or wait for it to charge up enough to play again. $50 a controller. So I'd need at least 2 controllers maybe even more if I don't allways remember to charge them all

With the xbox one . one controller + aa batteries. 20 pack is $10 bucks. Gives me 20 charges. Batteries are dead pop in another set. Takes 10 seconds maybe 30 at the most.

Senario 2 - xbox one controller is dead , put in new charge pack. Charge packs are $15. $50/15 =3 battery packs with $5 left over. So you can even buy a few AAs just incase.

Senario 3 - Rechargeable batteries . Eneloop 4 pack is $19 bucks with charger. $20 buys you a second 4 pack no charger. So your looking at 8 batteries or 4 swaps for $40.

I much rather the xbox way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back