Xbox One Architecture Panel *Main Console HW Points* Transcript

What is the win for putting a flash cache in RAM? I get why you'd put a flash cache on a HDD. The ESRAM makes sense, because it has its own faster bus. Is it possible he called the ESRAM flash for some reason?

Bridging the Memory-Storage Gap
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=173969

The Internet has two primary hindrances for expansion. First, the high cost of networkconnectivity in developing regions and second, the high cost of establishing new data centers to reduce the load on the existing data centers. Fortunately, caches in various forms help address both these problems by storing reusable content near the clients. Despite their importance, today's caches are limited in their scale because of the trends in the evolution of current memory-storage technologies.

The widening gap between memory and storage is limiting the performance of applications like caches. The ever-increasing amount of data and the need to access more of it quickly have further magnified the gap...First, we will develop HashCache, a novel method to drastically improve the memory efficiency of caches. By reducing the amount of memory needed for caching by up to 20 times, it reduces the cache's total cost of ownership. While HashCache makes more effective use of limited RAM in a system, SSDAlloc introduces a tier of new memory technology like NAND-Flash between RAM and disk to further bridge the gap.

SSDAlloc removes the impediments to the integration of new high-capacity memory technologies like NAND-Flash into the memory hierarchy. SSDAlloc is a novel memory manager that helps applications like HashCache tier data transparently and efficiently between DRAM and NAND-Flash. With only a few modifications to an existing application, restricted to the memory allocation portions of the code, one can reap the benefits of new memory technologies. Additionally, with SSDAlloc, applications can obtain 90% of the raw performance of NAND-Flash, while existing transparent tiering mechanisms deliver only 6-30% of that. Furthermore, by cleverly discerning application behavior, SSDAlloc writes up to 32 times less data to NAND-Flash when compared to similar existing mechanisms. This greatly increases the reliability of NAND-Flash that has a limited lifetime unlike DRAM.

How good/bad is it if we compare it with Intel/AMD desktop CPUs?

If they're using the likely metric of peak uops to execution/memory units, Jaguar can do 6, Bulldozer can do 8 (4 in the shared FPU), Sandy Bridge can do 6, and Haswell 8.

This cannot be sustained by any of them, since the decode and retire bandwidth is less, but it helps them power through any buildup in the queues.

Sounds interesting how transistors are in the cloud. Question is, how much are we available to have?

How much are pubs willing to pay for?

I imagine we are going to see a tiered price structure for pubs when it comes to the hardware in the cloud.

I would expect that MS are deeply discounting the use of Azure on Xbox1, and if I were making the decisions at MS I'd allow publishers to use the same infrastructure on PS4 without the same discount.

It's a win for any publisher intending to use the cloud since they now have a single cloud platform to worry about instead of two and it's a win for MS because they are financing their cloud platform, and as/if it becomes an important part of games going forwards they own that.

I would expect that MS are deeply discounting the use of Azure on Xbox1, and if I were making the decisions at MS I'd allow publishers to use the same infrastructure on PS4 without the same discount.

It's a win for any publisher intending to use the cloud since they now have a single cloud platform to worry about instead of two and it's a win for MS because they are financing their cloud platform, and as/if it becomes an important part of games going forwards they own that.

It had crossed my mind as to whether or not this would be the case for third party games with online requirements such as Destiny and Elder Scrolls. It would seem to make the most financial and technical sense especially if the functionality, speed, and resilience of MS' infrastucture met their targets on one given platform, that they would seek to maintain a similar experience on the other with as little re-engineering/re-negotiation as possible.

What is the win for putting a flash cache in RAM? I get why you'd put a flash cache on a HDD.
For that very same reason, only DDR3 is way faster. An HDD with flash cache makes sense when you switch your PC off as the flash is non-volatile, but with XB1 going for an always-on design (low power DRAM refreshing), you could provide a gig of local cache (MS are reserving 3 GBs after all) as an OS-managed IO buffer, which'd be a LOT cheaper than a hybrid HDD.

Not sure how much of a win. Most big publishers host the servers themselves already.

For that very same reason, only DDR3 is way faster. An HDD with flash cache makes sense when you switch your PC off as the flash is non-volatile, but with XB1 going for an always-on design (low power DRAM refreshing), you could provide a gig of local cache (MS are reserving 3 GBs after all) as an OS-managed IO buffer, which'd be a LOT cheaper than a hybrid HDD.

A cache for the cache so you can cache while you cache? See Xzibit One :eek:

yep

great idea and would not rule that out at all... better than most solutions out there based on what they are trying to provide especially if they can carry over the spin up/down nature of meeting needs on the fly for PS4 MPlat games as well

also interested to see how this ESRAM memory speed/cc plan works out compared to PS4 over the next year or two. could be interesting. :)

from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.

This is from vgleaks, could someone explain this in more detail? So the gpu is getting 68GB/sec from ddr3 and also 32mb of eSRAM at 102 GB/s which equals 170GB/sec but this amount is only if the gpu is being fed 32mb correct? Anything after the 32mb goes back to being 68gb/sec? How much data can the gpu receive and is it relative to the bus size? Sorry if this is not clear but idk how to explain it.

A cache for the cache so you can cache while you cache? See Xzibit One :eek:

Well from one perspective you can think of all computers as essentially big cache hierarchies.

The hard disk is a cache for the optical drive.
RAM is a cache for the hard drive.
L2 is cache for the RAM.
L1 is cache for L2.
Registers are cache for L1.

Good system design is all about putting the right caches in the right places managed with the right policy so that data that is needed tends to be in the place where it needs to be at the right time.

Actually this is probably why the 500 GB hard disk isn't user-replaceable: it's not a normal hard disk.

The Xbox One is probably using a hybrid hard drive: flash memory used as a cache to speed up load times, combined with a rotational hard disk for capacity.

Probably something similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178339

But why not use a normal HD and have the flash on the mainboard? Sounds more flexible to me here than depending on specific drives. They would only need to cache the game mostly.

This is an extremely sound strategy. Incent use of cloud while earning from PS4 sales.

This is an extremely sound strategy. Incent use of cloud while earning from PS4 sales.

Yep, I doubt developers want to have to deploy code twice on different cloud platforms. Means its far more likely it won't be used at all. Also, I doubt anyone would trust Sony over Microsoft to build a cloud infrastructure, which means picking a major player like Amazon (who knows if they'd give any discounts).

Yep, I doubt developers want to have to deploy code twice on different cloud platforms. Means its far more likely it won't be used at all. Also, I doubt anyone would trust Sony over Microsoft to build a cloud infrastructure, which means picking a major player like Amazon (who knows if they'd give any discounts).
Ain't the use of the cloud for at least managing for MP sort of mandatory? (on the xbone).
It looks like to me it is a build in feature in the system like cross game chat was on the 360.

"We added lot's of memory both system memory and flash cache in order to have that simultaneous and instantaneous action."

First time hearing about the flash cache how much flash cache are they talking about or is this just the esRam?
There are a few things in the text I hadn't heard of before, and it sounds very interesting, some excellent, unique info there.

I am intrigued about most of that, but first of all, I just wonder what's the Xbox One Architecture Panel...was it a conference?

50k Watts, Water Cooled

So we had to verify all these things together involved getting the latest simulation/emulation tools. We developed this piece of technology that let's us run as fast as possible before we get any chips back. Equipment that actually takes 50k watts and is watercooled, we're able to run 10 trillion cycles in simulation before we even got the silicon back from the lab. So it gives you an idea to what we had to go through here.

Does anyone know more about this? 50k Watts & Water Cooled is pretty damn serious compared with the simulation tools that I have used.

It also seems to suggest that MS was doing some really hard core silicon design work.

Is this racks of racks of Stratix or Virtex FGPAs or is it racks of Xeons? If they "developed this piece of technology" it sounds like way more than just a big computer.

Back