Dragon Age III: Inquisition. Standard official discussion thread [XO,PS4,PS3,X360]

I don't think it looks very impressive at all, certainly not like a modded Skyrim. is it the Youtube compression or does the AA turn off completely as soon as the character moves? When he stops in places everything looks quite crisp then turns into a jaggy quincunx like mess.

I don't think we'll see anything that surpasses Skyrim's best community-made geometry models and textures anytime soon in a game. Maybe not until we see another numbered elder scrolls for the PC (which should be coming now that ES:Online is seen as a failure).

Regarding the latest gameplay videos, keep in mind that they all say "gameplay representative of xbox one" in the beginning. Given how the xbone is the weakest (new-gen) of the bunch, we should see better AA and/or resolution for the PS4 and even better optional AA for the PC version.

We also have to keep in mind they're developing for PS360 platforms still, unfortunately.

I still don't understand how so many of you can only judge a picture based on asset technical parameters. Or even individual assets.

The final image is the most important and that's where DA3 succeeds.

Can someone post a link to some impressive modded Skyrim video. I've seen some pics, but never a video running at a decent framerate. The videos I've seen don't hold a candle to a high quality DA3 videos I have come across.

Can someone post a link to some impressive modded Skyrim video. I've seen some pics, but never a video running at a decent framerate. The videos I've seen don't hold a candle to a high quality DA3 videos I have come across.

You have some decent videos here:
http://www.asot.es/2001/09/skyrim-mods.html

There's also a pretty recent guide for Skyrim mods:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/69496159

Even a modded Skyrim kinda looks like ass. That's especially true in motion. I'm glad DA3 is not looking like a modded Skyrim at all.
As long as you're aware that this is only your own and terribly unpopular opinion, then of course you're entitled to it.

there is really no question that DA3 will not approach skyrim quality graphics, especially as it is a very multi-platform game. if it somehow ends up not looking like ass entirely then it will be a huge step forward for the DA technical team. luckily, graphics were never the draw. hopefully PC users will not have to wait for an HD texture pack. here's to bullshots :9

I completely fail to see anything near the level of artistry and careful composition in these Skyrim scenes that makes DA3's environments so nice.

Yeah there are more pieces of the same single type of grass. Not that impressive to me.

It's not even a case of arguing about taste, Bioware's environment work is clearly superior.

Yeah I've seen many of these and they look pretty good, problem is that the Spanish dude who made them, basically optimizes the hell out of certain small scenes to look pretty and these aren't really meant for gameplay situations. I believe the frame rate penalty for his mods is pretty severe also.

In any case I think the overall visual quality and impressiveness of gameplay scenes is completely on a another level in DA3 videos.

This is clearly the best looking dragon age game to date, and a phenomenal-looking RPG in its own right.

I don't get the meaningless comparisons with Skyrim. I don't really care what some "modded-up-the-wazoo"-Skyrim build on PC looks like, as the vanilla game looks like dog-shite compared to this, and the vanilla Skyrim was what I and the vast majority of skyrim players played.

I can't wait for this game. So it's now time for me to go media-silent on this. Don't want to spoil a single moment of this game.

It's looking more and more like DA:O2, rather than a sequel to DA2; which is exactly what I was hoping for.

It's looking more and more like DA:O2, rather than a sequel to DA2; which is exactly what I was hoping for.
The combat at least is leaning closer to DA2 I think? Seems like it'll be the best of both worlds with improvements. :)

As long as you're aware that this is only your own and terribly unpopular opinion, then of course you're entitled to it.

Unless you like excessive, detail-crushing bloom lighting vomitting in your face and do not care about animation (primary or secondary) whatsoever it's really not that weird of an opinion to have.

And I'm sorry, but these Barbie Doll character mods are just pathetic.

The characters however are a disappointment.

Yeah... they've always had weird humans/human-related faces. The lore-friendly mods for DAO were a pretty decent improvement, which makes it disappointing for me here. (Also, they couldn't spend a few more poly's smoothing out Leliana's hood/shawl? :p).

The elf guy looks bizarre with the face texture. A lot of the other party members have a weird look too. The elf woman (sera?) looks fine though.

Yeah... they've always had weird humans/human-related faces. The lore-friendly mods for DAO were a pretty decent improvement, which makes it disappointing for me here. (Also, they couldn't spend a few more poly's smoothing out Leliana's hood/shawl? :p).

The elf guy looks bizarre with the face texture. A lot of the other party members have a weird look too. The elf woman (sera?) looks fine though.

My goodness, I've been trying to stay away from spoilers, but that was Leliana??!!!! I thought that girl was a new character/templar '

yessssss, soo gooodd

Oh, sorry about that. :oops:

I'll just refer to characters by helpful descriptors such as

"horny grey guy"
"bowl-cut chick who looks like child king from game of thrones"
"bald elf dood"
"dark skinned chick with serious hat issues"
"red head who could cut you with her hood"

:p :)

Oh, sorry about that. :oops:

I'll just refer to characters by helpful descriptors such as

"horny grey guy"
"bowl-cut chick who looks like child king from game of thrones"
"bald elf dood"
"dark skinned chick with serious hat issues"
"red head who could cut you with her hood"

:p :)

It's okay, my fault for wandering on into this thread ;)
I'm really pumped here!

You have some decent videos here:
http://www.asot.es/2001/09/skyrim-mods.html

There's also a pretty recent guide for Skyrim mods:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/69496159

Wow!!! I don't like the excessive bloom, everything looks like a hot summer day at highnoon in July.

Still I was impressed with Irene's design upclose.

I completely fail to see anything near the level of artistry and careful composition in these Skyrim scenes that makes DA3's environments so nice.

Yeah there are more pieces of the same single type of grass. Not that impressive to me.

It's not even a case of arguing about taste, Bioware's environment work is clearly superior.
This is clearly the best looking dragon age game to date, and a phenomenal-looking RPG in its own right.

I don't get the meaningless comparisons with Skyrim. I don't really care what some "modded-up-the-wazoo"-Skyrim build on PC looks like, as the vanilla game looks like dog-shite compared to this, and the vanilla Skyrim was what I and the vast majority of skyrim players played.

I can't wait for this game. So it's now time for me to go media-silent on this. Don't want to spoil a single moment of this game.

Any comparison with Skyrim wasn't due to artist decisions or design, but to the fact that the narrow paths and the pine trees areas resemble SOOOO much the first scene of Skyrim when you come out of the cave and head downhill towards Whiterun. :smile:

In fact, it looks just the same to me.

i can definitely see the point about the design work. it's a huge improvement. tbh da2 had a lot of these stylstic improvements, but the hollowness of the rest of the changes made them seem that much more "put a fresh coat of paint and noone will notice". sure, da is and always has been more about nicely designed set pieces than skyrim. i thought people were trying to make some other point.

Trying to undermine modded Skyrim's visuals based on a single user's preference on more aggressive bloom and DoF is fruitless.
Don't like the character faces/proportions? Get different mods that suits your tastes with more realistic bodies/faces/eyes/skin/etc.
Don't like the way characters move? Choose one from hundreds of mods with character animations, many of them made by hundreds of contributors, with some of them using state-of-the-art body capture techniques.
Don't like the excessive bloom/DoF/lens-flares? Reduce it or disable it at your own tastes.

No company will be able to create assets that can compare to the millions of hours spent by the tens of thousands of contributors of Skyrim. Not so soon at least.
Regardless of one's tastes about videos from a single user.

I'm not saying Inquisition looks bad. I'll buy it full-price at launch and I believe it'll have a decent plot, great character development, decent voice-acting and lots of other things that Skyrim severely lacks.

It just doesn't look as good as what I achieved with my modded Skyrim a year ago.

Given how some mods at Skyrim Nexus have been downloaded by over 5 million different users (and these don't include people using mods from Steam Workshop), I'd say you're completely wrong.
At least for PC users. If you played the game on a console then yes: your game looked dog-shite.

Back