Rancid's buying a PS3 today - What does he need?

You have got PSN+, so you got Uncharted 3 to start with ! I find Uncharted 2 to be a better game, find that cheap and play that first as UC2 characters make an appearance in UC3.

Get Journey. its a 2 hour game but is unique and you won't find it anywhere else. Get Resistance 3, if you like co-op shooters. Good game, great atmosphere and lot of fun in split-screen. Reisistance 2 has superb 8 player co-op but I wouldn't know how populated it would be now.Get Far Cry 3 if you haven't played it already. Demons Souls is free on PS+ right now. Another unique experience not to be missed. Also, Ico and SOTC are free on PS+ right now, if u missed them during the PS2 era, now is the best time.

Get MGS4, if you like stealth and japanese games ! MGS3 is even better but you might not like the controls. Get Killzone 2, brilliant atmospheric shooter , no matter what people say. Get God of War 3 and kill every god you ever knew ! Amazing graphics and presentation there.

and if you like Adventure games, get Heavy Rain. Since you already have the Last of Us, I don't know how much the other games will impress you, but they are all unmissable in my books.

Welcome Rancid! :D

I actually can't add much more than RenegadeRocks just posted- those games he mentioned are the ones to get IMO.

Uncharted 2 is brilliant - and Uncharted 3 follows up on that. Both are immensly better than the first part, and IMO, more enjoyable than Last of Us (although I just started playing it - but it's quite a serious theme).

Then, as was mentioned, God of War 3 is a awesome. If you do get it, perhaps play it on normal, although even then, it can be frustrating at times since it starts epic. But it's definately one of the show-case games on the PS3 you won't regret if you fight your way through it. Forget about Ascensions.

Then, personally, I'd also get Wipeout HD if you like futuristic racers. It's something, if I'm not mistaken, that's nothing like you can get on Xbox, so it might be something unique. I'm also pretty sure you could get it rather cheap. What makes this a great game is the sense of speed, great sound and there's a lot of skill involved. It might be difficult in the beginning, but it's soooo satisfying when you get the hang of it and start mastering the quicker speed modes.

If you want something to entertain guests with a lot of fun factor - LittleBigPlanet 2 is hard to overlook. The perfect game to have when you have people over, especially girls. ;)

KillZone 2 as mentioned is brilliant - though it's probably hard to impress a gamer coming from the Xbox. I personally think the single-player experience is better in KZ3 - the mechanics are a bit better and make it a bit more enjoyable ride. The wow effect IMO is also a bit bigger. I do prefer the artistic visuals and the online multiplayer in KZ2 better, but I still think if you're new to the whole KZ series, part 3 is the more enjoyable ride.

Among my favorite games is also MGS4. Very special game and a definate must-play IMO, especially if you are thinking of trying out MGS5 on either Xbox One or PS4 eventually. I actually prefer MGS3 too, but that's only a HD release of the PS2 game. Both are very recommendable though and I'm sure it's a type of game, you won't have experienced on Xbox (I think it's very unique in the way the story and gameplay get you hooked on the game - Hideo Kojima is simply a genius).

Now, as for enjoyable cheap mini games that are DD-only:

Definately check out Super Star Dust HD. Very good platform shooter with great sound in FullHD. Highly addictive. If you're unsure, check out some videos on YouTube. For the price it costs, it's great.

You may also like some of the PixelJunk games. I really like Racers (fun when you have lots of people over), but Shooter is good too or Eden - both can be played co-op, but I don't think online. They are just some nice stylistic mini games that pose a great challenge inbetween.

Hope you get some enjoyment out of the large investment you just made! :smile:

Super Star Dust is one of my favorite games on the system and I still like wipeout a lot but everything else they mention? For you? I'm not sure these are actually good suggestions. I would certainly love to read what I could only imagine would be a fiery post should you happen to buy and install and install and install MGS4. Killzone 2 was mostly unremarkable for me but you might like it. I don't believe I ever finished Heavy Rain so I can't/won't comment. I preferred the Uncharted series to MGS4 and Killzone 2 by a lot. Oh, as crazy as it may sound High Velocity Bowling was also one of my favorite titles.

but the long long long long long cutscene still there. and its boring too (not all are boring, but many long and boring).

if they make it live FF13-2 where there;s a summary if you skip things, it will be nicer i think...

or is it other FF game? my memory are hazy.

but the long long long long long cutscene still there. and its boring too (not all are boring, but many long and boring).

if they make it live FF13-2 where there;s a summary if you skip things, it will be nicer i think...

or is it other FF game? my memory are hazy.

Thats subjective, there around 4 million people who love those cutscenes ! :smile:

So Rancid, how's your experience with the PS3 coming along so far? I bet (well I hope) you've progressed further in The Last of Us than I have - I really haven't gotten around to play it much. It's a very solid game, but IMO - so far, Uncharted 3 is definately more enjoyable. Far too high blood pressure playing TLoU. :D

NavNucST3 said:
Super Star Dust is one of my favorite games on the system and I still like wipeout a lot but everything else they mention? For you? I'm not sure these are actually good suggestions.

No, you're right of course. But I do think the games I have mentioned are what defines the PS3 experience. Games that you can't get on Xbox - and these are precisely the games why I am a PS gamer. I thought they were worth mentioning because they differ to what you can get on the Xbox.

I kept forgetting the name, but I want to recommend Shatter ... great soundtrack, and while not technically amazing (still cool though) it is just really great fun to play and the music is fantastic. I loved it on the PS3, though a year later a Steam version was released as well.

Simple description of the gameplay: it's basically Arkanoid with sucking and blowing ... :D

Finally, I'm going to pick up Last of Us along with the console, are there any other games I should be looking at?

My favorite game on this machine was the first Infamous, a horribly underrated game in my always humble opinion. I'd ignore any tech criticisms of the game because ultimately it feels very good, plays well and is loads of fun. I think it's the only game I've ever played that at one point gave me a feeling of vertigo, on the mission where you have to climb a small tower to the top. Even running around ignoring missions and just collecting shards is fun because of how cool it feels to run around on rooftops and walls while the city below you lives on. Assassins Creed does that well but Infamous just had a more unique feel and simplicity to it. It's possibly my favorite new ip of the generation, I finished this one.

Regarding MGS4, the key with the cut scenes is to know what you are getting into. Yeah they are long and kinda goofy but it's Metal Gear, it is what it is. When they start just put the controller down, kick back with a beer and watch the weirdness unfold, if you know what to expect then it's manageable. The game itself is ultimately worth playing and I finished it, it has some memorable sequences in there especially if you played the previous games.

Little Big Planet 2 is a must if anything because it has user generated levels that are sometimes actually quite good. I don't think there is any other game out there quite like it either. At heart it's a simple platformer, but the unique look and levels make it stand out. The feel is a bit questionable though, some like it, some don't. I was somewhere in the middle, but the uniqueness of the game made me stick to it and finish it.

Those would be my top three. I'm different than most here in that I don't care much for all the typical Playstation franchises that tend to get mentioned. So for example I personally found God of War 3 boring, Uncharted 1+2 were merely "ok", I don't like any of the shooters on ps3, etc. But that's just my take. Much of your opinion will depend on what platforms and games you previously played which is probably why the usual suspects on this machine don't do much for me. However the top three I mentioned above I think stand out even if you have played lots of games on lots of other platforms.

So Rancid, how's your experience with the PS3 coming along so far? I bet (well I hope) you've progressed further in The Last of Us than I have - I really haven't gotten around to play it much. It's a very solid game, but IMO - so far, Uncharted 3 is definately more enjoyable. Far too high blood pressure playing TLoU. :D

I haven't gotten back to it, Phil. I just happened to find out another DLC came out for BL2 that was included in the season pass that I had already paid for on the 360, so I figured I'd give it a try and I'm really digging it.

When I play through it, I'll head back to the PS3 and either play TLoU or UC3, or maybe UC1 since people say that is a really fantastic game. I'm still debating on whether or not I want to buy a third party 360-like controller for the PS3 that includes SixAxis functionality (I've seen a few online) or the USB dongle thing to use my actual 360 controllers. But then they won't have the sixaxis functionality. On the other hand, the reviews on those third party controllers are pretty mixed. The best of them seem to have about 1/4 of the reviews saying they are crap. The worst of them pretty much have 100% of the reviews saying they're garbage.

So, we'll see. I think the only other game that is coming out this generation that I'm going to buy is GTAV, and my love for GTA isn't the same as it was when I was anticipating GTAIV. That leaves me more time to try out all the PS3 games I've missed! :D

I would suggest giving the DS3 a try - its still a good controller, and you will get used to it after a while.

When I play through it, I'll head back to the PS3 and either play TLoU or UC3, or maybe UC1 since people say that is a really fantastic game.

I'd give UC2 a try. If you like that you will really like UC3. UC1 is good too, but it's less varied and fluid than both 2 & 3. It took me a bit longer to complete and get into and at times felt a bit boring because it was too much of the same. 2 was definately the best of the series with a big "WOW"-effect. Just an amazing ride from start to finish. If you like U2, you can always go back to UC1.

I'd rate them UC2 > UC3 >> UC1.

I disagree about that one. I think if you like UC1, then you'll be sure to love UC2, and you have that nice step up. But once you've played UC2 first, then UC1 is obviously a step back.

UC3 is more fun to play, and higher highs but also lower lows, and the story and characters aren't as strong. UC2 is a better all-round game, and things feel more fresh throughout, with a very good story and characters. But I like to replay some of UC3's levels, but I didn't have the same feeling with UC2.

I've also spent a lot of time with the multiplayer of both, great fun. Very different from the traditional shooter, because you have so much verticality (climb on almost anything)

I guess you're right. But I thought liking UC2 (and the characters) would give an incentive to play UC1 purely in order to complete the story. However, if you play UC1 and get bored because there's not enough variety, you might not complete at all, much less play through UC2 which is one of the best games on PS3.

I struggled with UC1 when I got it. It was just a bit too much reliant on combat and effectively had sandbox following sandbox battles. UC2 was more fun because stealth moves introduced an element that made the combating way more interesting. Also, a bit better puzzles and I still think the train stuff is some of the most memorable gaming I've had in a long time. And from then on, it just gets better and better.

They're all brilliant games no doubt - UC2 just IMO hit the sweet spot perfectly in how everything comes together from the story to the gameplay mechanics and the spectacle all around it.

I got stuck in UC1 at the huge puzzle level. But up to then I played almost straight through, and once I was passed that I played straight through to the end.

Me too agrees! UC2 was the best of the lot! UC3 makes your jaw drop even garther but playign UC2 was more fun than UC3. I replayed UC2 like 3 times, but tried and stopped the second playthrough of UC3. The initial story levels, though fantastic the first tiem, are devoid of any puzzle or combat and stretch for too long when playing again.

Combat gameplay was super fun in UC1 and UC2 but lacked the polish in UC3.OTOH, puzzles of UC3 were miles ahead of UC1&2 . The best of the series. Hmmm....

I would say play Uc1 then 2 and then 3 ! Simlpe and best :D !

Me too agrees! UC2 was the best of the lot! UC3 makes your jaw drop even garther but playign UC2 was more fun than UC3. I replayed UC2 like 3 times, but tried and stopped the second playthrough of UC3. The initial story levels, though fantastic the first tiem, are devoid of any puzzle or combat and stretch for too long when playing again.

Combat gameplay was super fun in UC1 and UC2 but lacked the polish in UC3.OTOH, puzzles of UC3 were miles ahead of UC1&2 . The best of the series. Hmmm....

I would say play Uc1 then 2 and then 3 ! Simlpe and best :D !

Nice thing about replaying though is that you can replay individual chapters? And I like doing that better in UC3 ...

Back