Poll: Buying XB1 revisited post DRM change

How has the DRM change affected you?

• Total voters
Well my wife just cancelled her xb1 pre-order, so figured I'd vote. We we're going to have an xb1 but no longer, the new changes are too drastic. It just seems to me that not requiring internet may have a dramatic effect on companies plans to leverage cloud which is what I was really interested in, and the lack of game sharing was enough for my wife to not be interested anymore. Back to tablets and pc's for us. The good news is that it frees up $500 to buy a legit video card :)

I'm still sure as hell not going PC or for me (Parallels/VMware) and still needing physical discs and game sharing being blown to hell were easily enough for me to cancel.

So amazing that the vocal minority, of which a not insignificant amount had no intentions on buying anyway and still won't since now they'll point to "LOL Kinect + Fort Meade!" but took part in the lambasting under the guise of "consumer rights".

I'm even more floored by things as mind-numbingly dumb as the Navy Times article...I mean the "military" can't play...so...fucking...what...considering how TINY the number of people it would actually affect. TINY as in the ENTIRE US Military Active Duty has FEWER people than MSFT has SOLD-THROUGH units in JAPAN think about that...of that EVEN FEWER are even deployed somewhere. Over 80% of the Navy has NEVER seen ship/boat duty. NIPRNet and obviously SIPRNet are not designed to be gaming networks.

I have a sense that the core gamer that's not heavily invested in wasting a sizeable chunk of their lives away slaving at a screen are pretty swung, though.

A bunch of my Oz friends (360 people) just did a flip from the PS4 to the XB1 after the announcement. To them, after the DRM argument, their switching cost to PSN is just too high (losing friends, hassle of juggling 2 networks, etc.)

(Seriously if you wanted to use poll data as a metric, lay off the multiple lulz options! So tempting :cry: )

Yap, both Live and PSN are great tools to prevent people from switching consoles. I think MS reacted when they realized PS4 was reaching that level where people said "if my friends are switching, then i'll do the same".

I'm afraid of Wii U-like numbers (or below)

Doubt that, but if all else fails, price drop. They were selling £300 Kinect+250GB bundles in 2010.

They will/should push the TV & Kinect stuff hard, and keep showing exclusive games. The price can come down.

Not that this 180 changes much to me, if games use the cloud extensively I'm scared lag would be an issue.
So between Sony, MSFT, an hypothetical steam box (or hand made) I' still undecided.
Anyway if somebody cares, I voted for the last choice.
Really? Why would you do that? Well.. I also voted the last choice tbh. My actual choice isn't listed so I followed Shifty's touch of humour.

After a storm comes a calm and I don't care anymore. I am happy my best friend pre-ordered the console too. :) She is from the UK, and the console can be a success there.

Biggest issue still remain for me. Mandatory kinect.
If they remove that, drop price by 100+ and I'm game. Also I'd probably wait a bit to see that they'd design game mechanics not to require to use kinect and not just butcher the non-kinect ports.

Nope. I have made up my mind. I am going from the PS360 this gen to a PC4 next gen. I wish valve would get it act together on a steam box so we get more controller support in game. The biggest problem with the xbone is i game in a home theater with a 120" screen. I have no place to put a kinect or any way to even wire it to the console.

For a the cost of xbone and live for a couple years i can build a pretty good gaming pc. Just buying one game, console and 1 year of live im already at $675 with tax. Really doesnt make any sense...

I'm still sure as hell not going PC or for me (Parallels/VMware) and still needing physical discs and game sharing being blown to hell were easily enough for me to cancel.

So amazing that the vocal minority, of which a not insignificant amount had no intentions on buying anyway and still won't since now they'll point to "LOL Kinect + Fort Meade!" but took part in the lambasting under the guise of "consumer rights".

I'm even more floored by things as mind-numbingly dumb as the Navy Times article...I mean the "military" can't play...so...fucking...what...considering how TINY the number of people it would actually affect. TINY as in the ENTIRE US Military Active Duty has FEWER people than MSFT has SOLD-THROUGH units in JAPAN think about that...of that EVEN FEWER are even deployed somewhere. Over 80% of the Navy has NEVER seen ship/boat duty. NIPRNet and obviously SIPRNet are not designed to be gaming networks.
Excellent point!!!! I don't understand how it seems so difficult to realise the potential of Kinect to enhance the gameplay and the experience.

I still hope that Microsoft add an "opt in" feature for those who loved the classic system -either that or don't update your system at launch :smile:-.

I firmly believe that the family sharing was something really special, it'd bring back a sense of community like ever before!

Lots of people would share their games and also many people would buy certain "not so popular" games just to share them with their friends to offer them something different. Perhaps one of those friends would buy the game themselves.

Steam and other services are copying the system already. And it's obvious to me why.

That's quite the leap.
The per order numbers I've seen had MS trailing Sony in the US, but not by the sorts of multipliers being reported on GAF and other sites, and that was after the multitude of PR gaffes.
We still have games con and Tokyo games show before launch, though I can't imagine any major announcements from MS at the latter.
MS will have a HUGE marketing spend as the launch gets closer, 3rd parties are not going to drop XB1 in the short term, so I just can't see how you can leap to that conclusion.

That's quite the leap.
The per order numbers I've seen had MS trailing Sony in the US, but not by the sorts of multipliers being reported on GAF and other sites, and that was after the multitude of PR gaffes.
We still have games con and Tokyo games show before launch, though I can't imagine any major announcements from MS at the latter.
MS will have a HUGE marketing spend as the launch gets closer, 3rd parties are not going to drop XB1 in the short term, so I just can't see how you can leap to that conclusion.

Yes, 5 months before launch, but MS need to plan their PR.

When I was in the industry the idea of "competition" made little sense to me and now being out of the industry it makes even less sense to me.

Is two competitors enough? Is three the proper amount? Do people really care about the hardware more than the games? I obviously care about OS or I wouldn't have cancelled my XBOX pre- but were MS gone they could still be the OS for another plat holder assuming egos didn't get in the way.

For me, our competition was any DEVELOPER that made a shooter for the other guys in the building any DEVELOPER that made a fighting game. For corp across the street it was every other PUBLISHER. Maybe if there were more competitors there would have been more amazing pinball tables but frankly, I doubt it.

I am NOT saying that competition is not healthy but clearly given these recent events "we" don't want things to be too different between any of the devices! Hell, people are still clamoring for "more power" from the Wii U or "equal/close enough to PS4/XB1" for Nintendo SOFTWARE running on something akin to a PS4.

"somewhat pro Sony forum" somewhat? LOL YOu've been here long enough to know better. LOL

The 45% who were not going to buy even after the change is no surprise. The only way any of them would change is if hell froze over. LOL

Sometimes I wonder if Shifty does these polls just as a way to punch a man while he's still down.

Tommy McClain

That's wrong in my case. My main lockout reason is Kinect.
If they put a bullet in that almost dead horse too I would consider getting it for the exclusives I would miss and I know I would enjoy the pad. But to say the truth Halo4 even cured me from that must get addiction so I couldn't even name an exclusive I would really want to play right now.

If they 'Wii U' themselves it would be due to yield issues more than anything else at this point, whether good marketing or bad marketing.

Interesting that only 2 did an about face and will buy it now. Must feel like that fat ex gf who got hawt! :)

Yeah, that's the thing, most of the pro-DRM guys said this wont change anybodies minds anyway, and by this poll it didn't.

But of course we are not the public.

XB1 has held the top spot on Amazon best seller for at least a couple days now and more XB1 software seem to be creeping into the top 20 as well for whatever that's worth. The "positive" press cant hurt.

Here's all Joe Public knew: "It bans used games!" (not true, but the perception regardless) and "24 hr check in!". Both those are now gone.

I'm not sure I'm pro old DRM anymore now that I think the 10 person share was highly limited.

BTW "launch day edition" XB1's are still available right now on Amazon (they have been sold out off and on). Which I understand means you get it day 1 guaranteed. So is this "no yield issues" or "it's selling crap" spin? Take your pick :LOL:

Another thing that makes it hard to judge is the whole "day 1" SKU thing anyway. It doesn't seem to clearly exist for Sony (I think Amazon just invented the term for PS4's you get on launch day, it's not an actual SKU like it is on Xbox). So things get muddled as to demand, sales, etc.

As of now PS4 launch day edition is unavailable/sold out. The "standard" edition PS4 is available, but it's first come first served imo.

So again, pick your spin, XB1 is not having yield issues/PS4 is, PS4 is selling awesome/out XB1 is not :LOL:

It just seems to me that not requiring internet may have a dramatic effect on companies plans to leverage cloud which is what I was really interested in

I just don't get it. If you felt the cloud was a winner in the first place then it would seem more likely than not that it will be supported, on it's own merits. Also weren't the Xbox fans saying that everyone of consequence to MS already had Internet access... only those folks in submarines etc. ... I don't know why there is such a rush to jettison the console. The only thing that you are losing is the ability not to have to swap discs and the family share plan ( whatever that turned out to be ).

What card are you looking at ?? I'm looking for something to run Titanfall if I don't get the 360 version ( not that I'll need a 500 dollar card to do that but .. )

That's wrong in my case. My main lockout reason is Kinect.
If they put a bullet in that almost dead horse too I would consider getting it for the exclusives I would miss and I know I would enjoy the pad. But to say the truth Halo4 even cured me from that must get addiction so I couldn't even name an exclusive I would really want to play right now.

How's that wrong? You basically said they would need to remove Kinect. That will never happen. Ergo you will never buy a XB1.

Tommy McClain

Back