Poll: Buying XB1 revisited post DRM change

How has the DRM change affected you?

• Total voters
Definately back on my list. Now in my mind it comes down to who shows the most interesting first party games.
Imo 3rd party will be basically even.
I'm intrigued by the potential of kinect vs sony proven track record of amazing first party titles.

Well my wife just cancelled her xb1 pre-order, so figured I'd vote. We we're going to have an xb1 but no longer, the new changes are too drastic. It just seems to me that not requiring internet may have a dramatic effect on companies plans to leverage cloud which is what I was really interested in, and the lack of game sharing was enough for my wife to not be interested anymore. Back to tablets and pc's for us. The good news is that it frees up $500 to buy a legit video card :)

For me it went from "Never" to "after a price drop and compelling software". I should have picked "might" in the poll, but for some reason I read it in the context of launch and not over the lifetime of the console.

I fell away from MS around 2010 when they shifted their business plan, from what I see they are still chasing that casual crowd too much for my taste.

Not that this 180 changes much to me, if games use the cloud extensively I'm scared lag would be an issue.
So between Sony, MSFT, an hypothetical steam box (or hand made) I' still undecided.
Anyway if somebody cares, I voted for the last choice.

You miss one option!?

I was going to buy X1 and still going to buy X1 after the changes

Where is the option for loyalists??
They've already voted that they are going to buy XB1 in the previous threads. We don't need to count who was going to buy Ps4 or XB1 again - only those who are changing to see how the change has affected the previous polls.

And on that note, early results suggest the net gain for MS isn't clear (in the B3D populace, which I doubt is representative). As many people are going to buy into XB1 as are going to forgo it (2), but there is a marked increase in possible purchasers.

I have a sense that the core gamer that's not heavily invested in wasting a sizeable chunk of their lives away slaving at a screen are pretty swung, though.

A bunch of my Oz friends (360 people) just did a flip from the PS4 to the XB1 after the announcement. To them, after the DRM argument, their switching cost to PSN is just too high (losing friends, hassle of juggling 2 networks, etc.)

(Seriously if you wanted to use poll data as a metric, lay off the multiple lulz options! So tempting :cry: )

So those ticked off at the 180 are canceled out by the ones coming back to the fold. But a fair amount of fence sitters also appear now. Overall it looks like MS made the right choice. For the greater good :p

And this is a somewhat pro Sony forum as well.

Out in the real world the as time marches on and the memory of the DRM PR fiasco fades and the quality of the games on X1 become apparent, I fully expect X fans to come back into the fold.

Out in the real world the as time marches on and the memory of the DRM PR fiasco fades and the quality of the games on X1 become apparent, I fully expect X fans to come back into the fold.
I that regard, it's still somewhat questionable. There don't seem many reasons tying XB360 owners to XB1 any more than PS4, at least as I understand the current setup vis-a-vis 360 gamers not being connected with XB1 gamers. There's no BC or library crossover, so the only restriction seems to be existing user account and gamerscores. Or am I mistaken in this?

For the record, it seems the same in the opposite direction for PS4. Without BC, my PS3 investments are immaterial moving forwards. Neither company seems to have targeted a growth policy, providing a direct upgrade path. It's more a case of riding brand favouritism and exclusive IPs. eg. MS has Halo, and that's what's going to bring a lot of existing XB gamers to XB1.

While it's nice M$ have made some changes it's still too underpowered and to warrant it's price tag.

And always connect Kinect is still there too....

If you bought a lot of movie/TV stuff it all carries over at least, but you could just keep your old console for that. Any exclusive game series' that you're invested in are more likely to make appearences on the next iteration of whichever console.

Voted conspiracy theories blah blah.

I was leaning on getting a X1 for Killer Instinct anyway. DRM change didn't mean anything to me. More than likely getting a PS4 and X1 although not committed to getting either at launch.

I'd like to hear from the people that voted that they will not buy now, because of the changes!

I guess I'll buy it some day, when the price is low enough, or if the games actually use the cloud.
But if they went along with the always online, I would never buy it.

Kinect v2 still looks awesome. I think that will save/sell the system.

If people are really afraid of Xbox watching them they can switch the camera off. The privacy settings were never hidden away for the 360 Kinect.

"somewhat pro Sony forum" somewhat? LOL YOu've been here long enough to know better. LOL

The 45% who were not going to buy even after the change is no surprise. The only way any of them would change is if hell froze over. LOL

Sometimes I wonder if Shifty does these polls just as a way to punch a man while he's still down.

Tommy McClain

Back