Project: Spark [XO]

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AkA_FRwqg

I was a big fan of Kodu so I was very excited to see this at E3. IMO The best title MS revealed.

They have addressed some of the core issues with Kodu. e.g. They have a lot of "brain" style profiles right out of the gate this time--in Kodu getting a proper FPS controls was essentially impossible. Now 1st person, 3rd person, Platformer, Brawler, etc are all supported and customizable. The level editing is now pretty, seamless, and fast. I don't know how deep it has gotten but it looks like you can join objects for larger ones, have a ton active on screen, and possible even create level based gameplay.

I am not sold on The X1 but sign me up for Project Spark!

Yeah, I'm not sure on this game. It looked really cool. In terms of Co-Op, multi-platform play, they even demonstrated Kinect interaction (I think this was the only game at E3 where they demonstrated Kinect).

But I'm not sure that I wouldn't play this game for maybe 6 hours and then say "Ehhh.. Okay, I've had enough" Then again, I did the same thing with minecraft. I can see how it's neat and how some people might really enjoy it, it's just not my cup of tea.

It just all seems like too much... work. It's like playing SIMS. At some point you realize that instead of playing a video game where you direct little fake people to do things in a little fake world that maybe you should be actually doing those things yourself.

I get that some people might really enjoy it. But for me, at some point, I'm going to realize I just paid people to design a game so that I can spend hours upon hours designing... a game. Isn't that what I paid them for to begin with?

I also understand how the PS3 crowd is saying this is a LBP clone. I would agree, it sure seems that way on the surface. But then again, LBP was supposed to be a huge genre-redefining huge game. Apparently it did well enough to elicit the creation of Spark, which seems to be close enough to be a clone to me, but I'm also pretty sure that I thought LBP fell way below expectations.

I think it looks neat, but not something I would spend more than $20 on because I probably wouldn't screw around with it for more than a weekend.

Said this is the E3 thread but it looks like I'm going to have to create my own Kameo 2 (which really it looks like every last one of the assets came from!)

I remember reading about/watching videos of Kudo and thinking how wonderful it all looked, and then it seemed to disappear.

Looks like there are truly endless possibilities here, and for sharing with a modern console. The examples are pretty varied. There's a very nice style to the visuals too.

Kudo still gets plenty of play time in our house, and once my 8-year old saw this he has been nonstop about it. It has really saved me time, as he normally wants to build levels in the project I am working on. Heh

Spark was the straw that made us break and preorder, along with PvZ. Two titles that greatly appealed to my wife and son.

I saw hints of the kudo interface during the demo even.

This is coming to PC? I thought its Xbox one exclusive, awesome if true. I think, it looks amazing.

Think I will email Scoy and see if he is still involved with this (from Kudo anyway), he was a great help a long time ago.

I do wonder if Rare artists were helping though, it just had that kind of vibe.

Edit: plus I found a bug in Kudo that I want him to fix! ;)

I was a big fan of Kodu so I was very excited to see this at E3. IMO The best title MS revealed.

They have addressed some of the core issues with Kodu. e.g. They have a lot of "brain" style profiles right out of the gate this time--in Kodu getting a proper FPS controls was essentially impossible.

Did you play much Kodu? Back several yrs ago I actually had quite a few well known map/levels in that community. Had a couple of devs on the game reach out to me to get my personal feedback on stuff, made some preliminary maps for them to promote Alan Wake's upcoming release, got featured on dev blogs, etc.

Needless to say, Team Dakota has implemented pretty much every single thing us in the community dreamt up for what seems to have become Project Spark. I'm friggin stoked! :cool:

----------------------------------------
Some of my old Kodu works:

Thnx! MSR's Kodu team back in the day asked me and a few others what stuff we would want in a future, next gen type Kodu and we gave them probably a dozen different features. Seems they hit all of them with Spark.

There was a video interview that I can't find atm of Project Spark at E3 where they confirmed the following:

Much deeper Kinect integration than what we saw at the MS presser
Ability to animate characters/objects
Much larger worlds than the demo at E3
Linking worlds together (finally!)
Editing while you play

Evidently the game is also F2P and you buy new content updates. I'm gonna go broke real fast I think. :p

in many ways... this could be the game of the show due to its potential. I knew nothing about Kodu before this but once i saw the different types of universes that could be created from space invaders to rollerball type games i was sold.

Looks like the original post might need to be updated since Xbox 360 support might be included...

“Project Spark” will be available to download for free on Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows 8. What opportunities do free-to-download offer that aren’t available in conventional retail games?

Henry Sterchi: “Project Spark” was conceived around letting everyone bring their imagination to life, so we wanted as many people as possible to play it and share their creations with the world. With the community being a central part of the experience, the more people that get involved playing, creating, inspiring each other, and even showing off their skills, the better.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/e3-project-spark-qa

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
They were very natural with their language in the e3 presentation. I wonder if we'll really be able to talk to the console like that.

I was going to ask about that as a lot of outlets mention the Xbox 360. Very excited now!!

Sorry for not responding to Qs above, we are in the middle of a house move.

Cool, I didn't know aout Kinect integration and such. This looks a lot better than it showed in the press conference.

This is slowly starting to edge more and more towards being my "Game of E3 2013." The more I read about it, the more I want to experience.

When we first got the touch controls running, one of the testers showed up with a fully functional synthesizer that recorded back your play. But, one of the coolest things I’ve seen is that we had a team member build a game they always wanted to make since they were a kid. It was this awesome early 90’s style RPG where you’d go around a town and talk to NPCs that would give you new quests and such. They had tons of dialogue to tell a story they’ve always wanted to tell. You could acquire a sword and find this cool hidden land filled with bad guys below the town. Seeing someone really pour their passion into something and make their once impossible dream come true was really inspiring.

The craziest thing I’ve seen so far was a nearly full length “buddy cop” style movie with stunts and boat chases and action scenes. I kept watching it laughing, it was so off the wall.

Just thinking about what people might come up with if they are already able to do things like that on the BETA version of Project Spark just makes me all tingly inside.

Now, if Project Spark amateur game developers can also make use of Kinect input (voice, gestures, full motion body) that gets me even more excited. That would certainly be a fantastic way for Microsoft (and other game developers) to indirectly get an idea of what sorts of Kinect control methods resonate with gamers.

But mostly, while I'm not wanting to spend the time to develop the game I've always wanted to play, I wonder if someone else will make it for me. :D

Regards,
SB

Back