Is 60fps the new thing for next-gen?

.. (most shader-MBs are hardly artifact free to begin with)..

This... I'd prefer smoother overall motion to motion blur artefacts. After all, motion blur on retina is dependent on viewer / eye motion, if you fix that in the imagery, that's less of a representation of what actually is going on. For example, when you are moving in a car, you look straight out of the window, and the fences on the road side are blurry. But when you follow the fences with your eye, they are no longer blurry. If you fix that blur in the video, you have lost visual information. The post-fx technique esentially re-uses vital parts of a rendering to re-create smooth motion when your rendering budget exceeds 16 ms. And it doesn't necessarily have to be applied on the final image, it could be done to enhance reflections or parts of the image.

But films have motion blur, so recreating it in games is more akin to creating a filmic quality, and it's clear to me that games are mostly targeting Hollywood reality, not real life as if I'm there. You also cannot get realistic motion blur as you describe without very high framerates.

For a lot of people with LCD TVs, 60fps makes slower pixel response more apparent. 30fps and motion blur hides all of that. Everything goes blurry as you spin the camera anyway.

Still, the higher the better.

I hate the motion blur you get on the trees and other stuff when you rotate the camera in The Last of Us. It is a badly implemented emulation of a camera and should not be used in games.

But films have motion blur, so recreating it in games is more akin to creating a filmic quality, and it's clear to me that games are mostly targeting Hollywood reality, not real life as if I'm there. You also cannot get realistic motion blur as you describe without very high framerates.

Films also have motion blur because they are mostly filmed at a very low framerate (25 fps), that is each frame have lots of motion blur, a good shooting at higher framerates have less motion blur and it is quite good for action movies IMO.

I'm not exactly a big fan of ND's MB solution either. I think it looks fine when the action is in high gear, but it's a bit off-putting when some light shoulder movement when the character is slowly walking forward is enough to blur the entire character model. I generally like how it's being used in Remember Me and most of Capcom's games (i.e. usually to emphasize the fluidity of distinct moves), but the way it was implemented in Tekken was by far the most convincing.

That was very clear in Uncharted 1, but I haven't noticed it in The Last of Us actually. I'll pay attention next time I play.

Seems like 30fps is alive and well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

Edit: I'd like to add that I have no problem with 30Hz for many games, as long as it's very stable. Racing games and super-fast twitch games like online shooters are better off being 60Hz. There are a lot of cases where the improved visuals from 30Hz can be a better experience.

How many people prior to E3 would have predicted most XB1 first party games targeting 1080P/60fps and most PS4 1st party games targeting 1080P/30fps?

Not that I think it says anything about the hardware, I just find it amusing.

How many people prior to E3 would have predicted most XB1 first party games targeting 1080P/60fps and most PS4 1st party games targeting 1080P/30fps?

It's a little surprising. I thought they said Killzone was 60Hz. Maybe not. Hopefully 60Hz will more common than not for multiplayer titles.

Amusing but not unexpected when you look at which games are 60fps. Racing and fighting games tend to be 60fps in general, and the rest are cross-generation games (Titanfall, BF4, AC4).

Amusing but not unexpected when you look at which games are 60fps. Racing and fighting games tend to be 60fps in general, and the rest are cross-generation games (Titanfall, BF4, AC4).

The next Halo was announced as being 60fps, though I wonder what compromises they'll make again...

I suspect looking at the surprising number of 1080P/60 games announced for launch on XB1, that first party publishing is dictating it or at least strongly encouraging it.

60 or 30 I don't really care just lock the frame rate down if that means less going on in game so be it .

I say this from a purely selfesh reason I've lost count of the amount of times I've felt sick when playing a game that has a wildly fluctuating frame rate .

The next Halo was announced as being 60fps, though I wonder what compromises they'll make again (or maybe it's only for MP?)

Well, I would assume its for both. That particular announcement was very surprising to say the least. Is it going to be a one off or is it that going to be the standard for Halo from now onwards. I can't quite wrap my head around a 60fps Halo game. It will be interesting to see how it looks.

I do wonder, is the decision to go 60fps a sign of them pursuing the COD crowd or do they feel that what is available in the hardware is enough for them to realise their vision/art?

Scott_Arm said:
There are a lot of cases where the improved visuals from 30Hz can be a better experience.
I disagree framerate is divorced from visual quality - while it doesn't register in a screenshot, 60fps looks better than 30fps does. That said - I don't think there's a single answer to whether other improvements you can get going to 30fps are usually enough to offset that or not.

ERP said:
Well I expected the latter given the history of Sony 1st party dev on all their platforms. Even on PS2, where 60fps was by far the highest % of any platform (especially early on), Sony games @ 60 were rare.
On XB1 - I can only remember 3 1st party titles shown (of which 2 were 60) but I assume I'm missing some?

It'll be interesting to see how 3rd party stuff pans out though - given that it looks most were shown on PC(for either console).

There were 60 fps 3rd party titles, that I assume will be 60 fps on PS4. Only if these are lower framerate, or PS4's graphics are toned down compared to XB1's, should anyone start to question the hardware.

Hm, to be honest...not impressed by Sony's games at the moment. Only remarkable game was The Division, but it might be just running on a PC with PS4 controller plugged in...and it was 30Hz.

I guess that BF4 will be the first multiplat benchmark. High level scalable engine with fantastic looking output. I wonder how the differences will be...

Back