very low power system

Sxotty

Legend
Ok so I have a JetWay JHZ03-GT-V2-LF AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with I think a quad core 65W AMD CPU in my car computer. I only had a 90W power supply and I could not power the motherboard, processor, SSD, and the touchscreen from the power supply. Without the LCD it works, but I have had some issues with too much power draw. So I wanted some suggestions for a really low power and cheap system I can stick in there. I have win7 on it now, but would like something that can run win8 decently if I decide to swap over later. Obviously no games or anything. I had the CPU before so I used it, but there was no reason for a quad core at all it was ridiculous :). I was thinking maybe an intel i3 2100t, but that is kinda expensive. It looks like I can get a mini itx board instead for $50 as well which would be better.

Anyway any thoughts are welcome.

edit:
Now that I am looking at it perhaps an integrated mobo/cpu would be best for this application. Still have to sort through them. An integrated GPU on the CPU die is obviously a plus some of the mini-itx systems I am seeing still have a iGPU on the motherboard like my current board does.

Maybe something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157228

I have been meaning to do something about this, but never taken the time for a year or so and it is no rush. I read about the silvermont stuff actually and thought that I should see what was out there for this sort of application. 3d mapping is obviously the most strenuous thing I do on the carputer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why have you got a computer in your car you crazy fool :D
where do you put the keyboard and mouse

ps: buy a laptop that will work no problem

Integrated APU's on miniITX boards are perfect solution for your needs.
As mentioned by HMBR Kabini would be perfect if you can wait for it couple more weeks and are prepared to spend a little bit over $100 mark.

Here are few upcoming models:
http://us.hardware.info/news/35453/mini-itx-motherboards-with-amd-kabini-soc

Otherwise go for older E350/E450 Brazos or Intel CeleronB. They are much slower in graphics and most of the time they are also much slower in CPU than Kabini is.

Once you finish your new project let us know how it turned up as this is something I'm too interested in.

Thanks guys, BTW I misremembered about my current motherboard sorry, I was going off memory and newegg purchase history, but I just checked and I actually have a Zotac 8200-itx wifi board in there. I have to check the CPU later, but I am pretty darn sure it was a 65W low power quad core variant of some kind.

I am happy to wait a bit and the Kabini stuff sounds just about perfect. I was looking at reviews of the E350 system and it only came down in price $20 since introduction over a year ago. At that rate I am happy to wait for a new release of the Kabini stuff and buy it.

I have actually had a computer in my car for about 8-9 years now. I have done 3 refreshes. It started with a micro atx board and custom/modified case and 150W power supply (or something like that) for the first 2 cycles which allowed me to use my old HTPC parts. Then I swapped to the mini-itx system last time b/c I had an extra CPU, got a new LED backlit transflective screen, but I also swapped a pico psu and ended up over the power budget. That meant I had to connect screen directly to the car instead of the computer. Running the screen off the car can lead to visible screen problems with the back light flickering and stuff so I want to get everything back on the same power supply. I should probably measure the screen draw before I do this, but frankly it sounds like such a huge drop in power from a 65W CPU + XW motherboard to a 15-25W motherboard and CPU that I think it will be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be pretty sweet paired up with Win8 and a touchscreen LCD.

I've thought of that as a project as well. I suppose if my entertainment console in my 2013 Focus (MyTouch) starts to get flaky, I'll start thinking about it more seriously.

Very tempting to do it anyway as the system in the Focus is a tad slow sometimes. But it's still under warranty, so I doubt I'll mess with it until the warranty is over.

Regards,
SB

can't you underclock and undervolt the CPU? if it's successful, at least you can use while waiting for a new carputer.

btw, why not laptops?

Sorry I did not respond earlier I was busy since we just got a new daughter :)

In any case the unfortunate thing is I have a very nice screen, but it is not multi touch which might be handy in win 8. It is still a good touch screen though which might be enough.

Rurouni I could try that, but it is rather a pain to be honest.

I would have to get the screen out and solder it to a different power supply and then if it did not work swap back. I would rather just wait. It works now and I can use it the screen just runs off the car instead of the computer power supply. It makes a little interference visible, but not much.

As to why not use laptops that is a decent question. Mainly b/c I started out recycling my HTPC stuff into my car years ago when I started doing this. I can reuse a lot of parts like the SSD etc... With a laptop you rebuy things you don't need.

Why not something like the M2-ATX instead of the Pico PSU?, it is more expensive but gives you voltage regulation that seems useful.
You could use the "Pentium 4" power connector (or "P4", or the 4-pin thingy) to power the LCD maybe?

I actually had that power supply as well :) But it did not fit in my current case as well and I gave it to a friend who put a pc in their car.

Back