The Order: 1886

Could be the case; they might be using a static collision mesh that does not account for the arm movement. I might ask our rigging guys about what things are slowing down clothsims, apart from the cloth mesh detail level; I think self-collision and multi-layer cloth are the worst offenders, though.

I dont mind the Cloth physics that much , more that the characters seem to float above the Roof . Maybe ist just a shadow offset thing ? Shadows look strange in that shot.

New engine details and screenshots from their GDC panel

The latest version of the in-house engine used by Ready at Dawn is compatible with DirectX 11 and PS4, but it’s heavily geared towards PS4, and it includes physically based rendering from the start. it also involves fine-grained task scheduling, Low-overhead, multithreaded command buffer generation and relies on the “PS4 Secret Sauce™” (no, I’m not inventing this one).

Memory is allocated in the following way (MiB doesn’t stand for Men in Black but for Mebibyte, which is pretty much an equivalent of a Megabyte used in technical literature):

2 GB textures budget
128 MiB sound budget
700 MiB level geometry
600 MiB character textures
250 MiB global textures (FX, UI, light maps, etc..) – Even characters have lightmap data
700 MiB animation

Way more at the link. Presentation slides here: http://mynameismjp.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rad_gdc_2014.pptx

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...nd-new-details-on-the-engine-emerge-from-gdc/

We're only at the start of the generation and they have the engines to produce this quality... Give them another couple of years to really nail it. Wow.

We're only at the start of the generation and they have the engines to produce this quality... Give them another couple of years to really nail it. Wow.

There isn't really much room left for such drastic improvements. Practically everyone has adopted physically correct lighting and shading and the artists have become familiar with the new methodology, the tools have matured, and the hw limitations are still there.

What you can most likely expect to improve are art direction and scale.

What you can most likely expect to improve are art direction and scale.
I would say more gpu computing running in parallel for fancy effects like fluid dynamics and particles since they're already using it for cloth. Cerny did say it would take devs a couple of years to really grab a hang of them asynchronous computing.

We see games with robust implementation of area lights, we see others with very good AO, some with excellent Post Processing, some with really convinincing materials, other with nice SSGI... Still no game has nailed ALL these aspects in one piece, but I am convinced that by the middle of this gen, pretty much all engines will support all that. That's pretty much how it was with ps360

Cerny said the CU are easy to use but hard to master and expect the more time dev put in it the better. I am sure we will see jumps like uncharted 1 to uncharted 2 then Last of US.

In 2 years we will get AAA games whose development started when PS4 was out in the market. Those games will be a sight to behold.

So can't wait for some new footage, it was said the game's already phenomenon graphics would get improved even if I recall. It's gonna be hard for me to fall asleep tonight.

Sony has a habit of showing everything before E3 , making for a no surprises final event.

Can't wait for the footage though ! Bring it on ! :p

Sony has a habit of showing everything before E3 , making for a no surprises final event.

Can't wait for the footage though ! Bring it on ! :p

Not true in my experience. Instead, they tend to have too much for just E3, and know that only a bunch of highlights will stand out, but media is primed for news in the month before that (and media gets most of the regular E3 news three weeks before the event). So they give extra air-time strategically ...

There is certainly a chance we'll see bigger attention grabbers than this title, which being a new ip probably needs more attention.

Back