The Order: 1886

That'd completely ruin the aesthetic. The game's styled that way for the same reason many movies and TV programmes reduce the saturation, especially in the less happy moments. The drab colours help encourage a drab feeling in the player, setting them in the universe.

Obviously, not everyone's going to want escapism in a dreary grey's of a smoky London (or damp Welsh hills, or concrete Birmingham), but it's pretty much essential to the artistic style and mood of the piece. More colours would just clash. Yeah, it'd work as a computer game in the conventional style, but it'd be a very prosaic computer game rather than a (would be) novella.

Come on, if I made Victorian Gothic games, I'd have everyone wearing neon jumpers and have sunsets and lens flares all over the place.

Actually the game has plenty of contrast, that's in the nature of a PBS system, specular highlights/reflections are usually very bright.

Gamersyde has nice HQ images BTW!

Thanks for the heads up.

Linky

Hopefully they get HQ video soon, even if its just the new B-Roll and trailer (which, if I understand correctly, the existing B roll cannot be posted without editing/commentary of some form provided by the site).

Come on, if I made Victorian Gothic games, I'd have everyone wearing neon jumpers and have sunsets and lens flares all over the place.

I say we go all-out and drop the realistic shaders for some old-school cel shading. The Order: Wind Waker anyone?

That'd completely ruin the aesthetic. The game's styled that way for the same reason many movies and TV programmes reduce the saturation, especially in the less happy moments. The drab colours help encourage a drab feeling in the player, setting them in the universe.

Obviously, not everyone's going to want escapism in a dreary grey's of a smoky London (or damp Welsh hills, or concrete Birmingham), but it's pretty much essential to the artistic style and mood of the piece. More colours would just clash. Yeah, it'd work as a computer game in the conventional style, but it'd be a very prosaic computer game rather than a (would be) novella.

I understand perfectly that the game has some smoky London cinematic aesthetic so no colors, low contrast (thank you RAD new anti-specular-constrast blur algorithm, it's working very well indeed), and full DOF applied, I can understand/accept it.

But they could have done foggy, grainy cinematic textures with sharp high resolution textures too. What's the point of using 1920x800p image if most of your textures are designed to be displayed optimally for a 540p image maximum? (and I am generous, some of those wall textures are not even at 480p sharpness level, I have seen better walls with RE4 on Gamecube).

For instance the Silent Hill serie was doing exactly that. Cinematic, foggy, grainy filters everywhere but the assets were clearly high res and as sharp as the resolution (and the console) allowed it.

And I have just seen those high resolution good quality Gamersyde images. Judging by the comments there apparently I am not the only one who is disappointed by the blurry textures for a next gen game.

This is the first game I've seen really seems to crawling out the other side of the uncanny valley. About time!

This looks amazing, I just hope the gameplay can hold up.

Regarding textures, they look awesome to me. Everything seems to be the right amount of 'sharp' to look realistic. Looks real, without screaming "hey look how crispy I am!", whatever they're doing it's hitting the nail squarely on the head.

IGN impressions,worried me too
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/18/the-order-1886as-mixed-signals
Technical issues aside, seamless transitions between cutscenes and gameplay are well-executed, but The Order: 1886 seems to be a fairly ordinary third-person shooter at its core. The camera angle and cover-based gameplay are more reminiscent of Gears of War than Uncharted, and while seeing it was exciting – and while the game no doubt looks fun – some of its mystique was siphoned away. We weren’t shown anything in this brief 10-minute glimpse not done in other third-person shooters. There are even quick-time events.

Only GameInformer sees the full extend of the demo (20 minutes). I think the reveal of the game is not perfect but it is Sony marketing to blame not the dev. We will see the full demo at E3.

The trailer at last E3 was okay but the best solution would have been to do a complete demo presentation at next E3. I hope Sony marketing will stop to do mistake. No HQ video is a big fault. I don't understand why they don't release HQ video in PSN after one or two days, like this videogame websites are happy and the customer too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say we go all-out and drop the realistic shaders for some old-school cel shading. The Order: Wind Waker anyone?

Great graphics, great rendering choice(forward rendering and MSAA) the game is so clean, the most cgish game.:D

And congratulations to artist, design team and I am very happy to see artwork so well ported to the game engine. Like the gritty mood, the filtrer grain, London choice... Like the vision it will be a great game.

Sorry english is not my native language.

Thanks for the heads up.

Linky

Hopefully they get HQ video soon, even if its just the new B-Roll and trailer (which, if I understand correctly, the existing B roll cannot be posted without editing/commentary of some form provided by the site).
Sadly SCEE has decided to go Youtube only, and SCEA has closed their generic account on their press site (can't blame them when everyone was posting it every forum to access the b-rolls), so it's going to be very difficult to have any HQ videos from Sony from now on.

To be honest, form what I saw, The Order doesn't add anything to the TPS formula/gameplay.

I don't mind if they add nothing. Important is: how is the core gameplay executed? And ultimately: is it fun shooting things...my personal opinion is that e.g. TLOU had very good gameplay, although it was a standard TPS/brawler.

If it turns out that the gameplay is as boring as the one in Spec Ops The Line...such a game (as demonstrated) can still be quite fun overall and entertaining due to its story...

To be honest, form what I saw, The Order doesn't add anything to the TPS formula/gameplay.

The execution of gameplay is the most important if it is done well, all is ok! I don't expect all game to be completly new, indie games is different less money at stake, they can take more risk!

Back