The Order: 1886

Aren't those her feet (shoes) passing through the cloak?

At the very end, you can't miss it. The cloth passes completely through the leg. I supposed mesh-level collision is asking way too much, and collision with box-like scenery is as good as we'll get for a while.

Thanks! Will look again.

I am frankly a bit disappointed.
The "cinematographic" look is lost completely during firefights or melee combat.

On that note, graphics are very dark. Could that also be a factor in enhancing the graphical look?
Probably more a factor of your monitor setup. ;)

Dark is good for a grimmy world if you also want the contrast when blasting away with energy weapons. It'll be heavily influenced by viewing conditions though (the source material was probably shown in a blacked out cinema). Switch the lights off and you'll have a realistically lit environment where the bright lights really pop as they should. Play with the lights on and contrast will push the base brightness way down. Just played the clip here with the light off and it looks very much like a dull day on this monitor in terms of brightness and contrast. Very clear and not at all too dark. I find most games have the gamma way down for my displays and I tend to whack the brightness up. Maybe I should be playing without the lights on? For the full effect that'd be true, but I imagine that'd give me a headache. ;)

"When it's ready"? Sony have a track record of allowing devs to take their time.
First parties yes, but RAD are third party. I doubt third parties get as much slack as Team ICO and Polyphonic - which admittedly borders on the ludicrous.

Uncharted was a huge hit, but I wonder if the single player only aspect will damage this game? Will people sell it on once they're done with the story.
Perhaps the promise of DLC announced nearer the time? That'll also make people think twice about swapping or trading in - assuming the enjoyed the main game, of course.

I told you guys that realtime cloth simulations aren't going to be easy to get completely robust. The current offline simulation tech is breaking down often enough and many times it's just easier to fix it with some trickery instead of tuning the parameters for the given shot... Solving such problems in real time with an all-purpose model is going to be a very though challenge.

Still, people are more forgiving with games about these kinds of problems. Intersecting limbs and such are also ignored for the most part, too.

I told you guys that realtime cloth simulations aren't going to be easy to get completely robust. The current offline simulation tech is breaking down often enough and many times it's just easier to fix it with some trickery instead of tuning the parameters for the given shot... Solving such problems in real time with an all-purpose model is going to be a very though challenge.

Still, people are more forgiving with games about these kinds of problems. Intersecting limbs and such are also ignored for the most part, too.
I think it would help if they used simpler collision meshes. The more detailed the mesh the more places it can fail.

I think the game looks amazing. Can't believe it's in real time :eek:

The intentionally added filmic "imperfections" make it look much more organic.

First parties yes, but RAD are third party.
Good point. Although still a second-party title and Sony aren't going to want to release something that doesn't meet their QA criteria I suppose. If the dev wants a 3 month extension, I imagine Sony will give it.

I doubt my CRT monitor is the cause.

In this case I guess the darkness helps by making the lighting appear more moody instead of flat as would happen in more brightly lit scenes. Also, it allows the brain to fill in the blanks to complete the picture which adds to the immersion.

http://a.pomf.se/ywjtku.gif
Again, watched with the room light on and I can't make out any of the detail in the shadows. Turn the light off and the lighting is very realistic with the detail very clear. I think the gamma/brightness is set for viewing in a cinema type situation and in game will have options to calibrated for personal preference. I certainly don't think the dark is being used as a mask for lower quality assets. The detail is definitely there.

I think it would help if they used simpler collision meshes. The more detailed the mesh the more places it can fail.
Perhaps the problem is the mesh is too simple? If there aren't enough points on the mesh to collide with the leg, it could pass between them. I guess they have a collision/flow mesh and tween the visible mesh accordingly.

At least there's motion there. The Order looks blurry even while the camera is static.

At last someone has the same impression than me. I was beginning to think it was just me or because of something weird in my visual brain area.

Too blurry. Too washed out. Not enough colors and contrasts.

When I watch any The Order footage (even when I first did many months ago) I just want to increase the contrast/colors/sharpness of my monitor at max capacity.

I still don't get the hype ,backgrounds in the firefights looks like in ps360 game(may be a little bit better) ,no tessellated walls etc

I still don't get the hype ,backgrounds in the firefights looks like in ps360 game(may be a little bit better) ,no tessellated walls etc

I don't have any complaints about the graphics. I do think what they showed, the alleyways looked to straight, and the walls looked too flat and angular. It's more of an artistic error than a technical one. Back then they weren't exactly measuring and leveling things with laser tools. It doesn't look dumpy enough for the time period, basically. It looks a little too clean and perfect. That could easily change between now and release. I'm sure a lot of work is still being done polishing the levels. But the visuals are great, and the player models look very good.

Again, watched with the room light on and I can't make out any of the detail in the shadows. Turn the light off and the lighting is very realistic with the detail very clear. I think the gamma/brightness is set for viewing in a cinema type situation and in game will have options to calibrated for personal preference. I certainly don't think the dark is being used as a mask for lower quality assets. The detail is definitely there.
I don't think they do it on purpose to hide lower quality assets. Rather, their artistic vision has the unintended but positive effect of hiding artifacts and other issues of the picture (like low resolution textures).

Perhaps the problem is the mesh is too simple? If there aren't enough points on the mesh to collide with the leg, it could pass between them. I guess they have a collision/flow mesh and tween the visible mesh accordingly.
Well I didn't mean the cloth to be simpler (though that would help too maybe) but the collision mesh of the character (in this case, the leg).

----------------

Too late for this game but for a sequel, if they keep the soft overcast type of lighting, they should get help from ND and add indirect shadows.

Every game should have them, actually.

Dunno, I think the softness and grain works pretty well here, especially given the setting and timeline. As a side effect it helps in giving off that CG feel.

On the flip side, it annoyed me in Infiltrator, for which there was even more blur... too much blur. And it was in a sci fi setting which felt kind of at odds.

Dunno, I think the softness and grain works pretty well here, especially given the setting and timeline. As a side effect it helps in giving off that CG feel.
Agreed. And adding more color would also ruin the look given the setting.

edit: What Shifty said below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too blurry. Too washed out. Not enough colors and contrasts.
That'd completely ruin the aesthetic. The game's styled that way for the same reason many movies and TV programmes reduce the saturation, especially in the less happy moments. The drab colours help encourage a drab feeling in the player, setting them in the universe.

Obviously, not everyone's going to want escapism in a dreary grey's of a smoky London (or damp Welsh hills, or concrete Birmingham), but it's pretty much essential to the artistic style and mood of the piece. More colours would just clash. Yeah, it'd work as a computer game in the conventional style, but it'd be a very prosaic computer game rather than a (would be) novella.

That'd completely ruin the aesthetic. The game's styled that way for the same reason many movies and TV programmes reduce the saturation, especially in the less happy moments. The drab colours help encourage a drab feeling in the player, setting them in the universe.

Obviously, not everyone's going to want escapism in a dreary grey's of a smoky London (or damp Welsh hills, or concrete Birmingham), but it's pretty much essential to the artistic style and mood of the piece. More colours would just clash. Yeah, it'd work as a computer game in the conventional style, but it'd be a very prosaic computer game rather than a (would be) novella.

This.

I don't understand why certain people want a certain look, when that look would clash with the developers artistic layout and feel. We seen how KZ:SF exuded a colorful wash cycle, some of us wanting the older dull color scheme. Let the game developers articulate their vision... if the game isn't for you, then it isn't... no need to bash the dev's on their artistic choices, unless those artistic choices aren't relevant to the period.

Back