The Order: 1886

http://vimeo.com/70992723

The video of the materials being scanned and ported into 3d, from that link. No wonder their textures look so good. GG has made different shaders for different materials, but these guys are actually scanning real stuff, making it tileable and using those as 'shaders' for the respective material ,l ike cloth, stone, skin, leather. Looks fanastic !

Will read the pdf now. :)
They have templates just like GG. The scanning is only for the textures.

http://vimeo.com/70992723

The video of the materials being scanned and ported into 3d, from that link. No wonder their textures look so good. GG has made different shaders for different materials, but these guys are actually scanning real stuff, making it tileable and using those as 'shaders' for the respective material ,l ike cloth, stone, skin, leather. Looks fanastic !

Will read the pdf now. :)
That feels like cheating!

But wow, amazing work.

I might be wrong but I think all the clothes are somewhat tessellated with proper cloth physics. The creases and folds are no longer normalmap based, they're actual polygons. I think this greatly enhances the look and feel of the materials too.

will this be the first game with great moving clothes i was promised back in 2005 in the PS3 FFVII tech demo ? (aeris robe) :p

The compositing stuff with blend masks is all done offline in our build system. Basically the build system does a bunch of work to take the source materials, turn them into textures, and blend them together. After it's done the build system spits out the optimized textures that are already pre-blended, which means we don't pay any cost for the compositing at runtime.

We do also support run-time blending of layers, and that's actually what's being used in that shot of the water puddles on the brick. Usually that will be used when you have a tiling material that's repeated over and over again, and so you blend in some extra layers to give it some "breakup" and variety. This sort of thing is actually pretty common in terrain renderers, and I'm pretty sure that quite a few PS3/X360 games have done something similar for their environment art.

Cool. Interesting to know. Definetely some nice tech.

The compositing stuff with blend masks is all done offline in our build system. Basically the build system does a bunch of work to take the source materials, turn them into textures, and blend them together. After it's done the build system spits out the optimized textures that are already pre-blended, which means we don't pay any cost for the compositing at runtime.

We do also support run-time blending of layers, and that's actually what's being used in that shot of the water puddles on the brick. Usually that will be used when you have a tiling material that's repeated over and over again, and so you blend in some extra layers to give it some "breakup" and variety. This sort of thing is actually pretty common in terrain renderers, and I'm pretty sure that quite a few PS3/X360 games have done something similar for their environment art.

Thanks! :D

We have some great artists, and they've been doing an awesome job so far.

Ok. So we have a final texture that runs realtime.

And for those ps360 games, Crysis 2, for one had it going for walls to break the monotony.

And kudos and my congratulations to your artists, frankly, because Whatever Crtytek might have brewed up till now with tech, your artists just annihilate everything that has come out of Crytek. The Order is what truly feels next gen to me right now, thanx to the superb art direction and one cohesive visual output ! Fantastic work ! I am sure the people working on Ryse will sit up and take notes on what good art direction is all about ! :)

Just bring in the gameplay trailer soon :p ! We gamers ain't got no awesomeness to drool at :devilish: !

Behind closed door demo impressions

Ready At Dawn CEO Ru Weerasuriya addressed the games press in a behind closed doors presentation of the studio’s shooter The Order: 1886. The game was conceptualised in 2006 and was derived from short stories penned by Weerasuriya. It’s now a full-scale project with a 95-strong team and running on the bespoke RAD engine 4.0.

The Order is a third-person shooter, and it’s billed as the first game in a franchise of titles that may also spill out into other forms of media. Set in an alternate post-industrial revolution London, the game’s steampunk, almost Dickensian veneer was researched by a snap-happy studio trip to London, in which Weerasuriya and his crew took over 38,000 photos of the city.

Why? Well, the game’s core hook isn’t steampunk, or the arkane, or even those brilliant twirled moustaches we’ve seen so far. Those photos were actually research for both the game’s aesthetic design and the team’s material creation tools, as well as its bespoke ‘Abel’ physics engine. We were shown photos of zoomed-in cobblestones, of granite and gravel, each taken to make the world of The Order visually impressive, believable and most importantly – destructible.

The game has dynamic destruction, and while we’re not talking about Battlefield 4 levels of military bombast, Ready At Dawn’s surface and environmental destruction is rather impressive. We saw Weerasuriya jump into a stone courtyard and pumped rounds from the protagonist’s Combogun – an assault rifle and shotgun hybrid – into a brass fixture set into a wall. The object crumpled and imploded with force after each round found its mark, deforming it in real-time.

He then spawned in a bunch of teddy bears and went all Robocop on their stuffed asses, first blowing off a head, and then four limbs one at a time. This might sound like a gimmick, but we were all assured that dynamic destruction, texture warping and convincing object physics lie at the heart of The Order: 1886′s gameplay. When the crowd asked why, we were told it wasn’t yet time for that particular discussion.

What I can tell you is that the game looks brilliant, as in next-gen brilliant, not just a small leap in fidelity. We were treated to a fly-over through an underground plaza lined with pubs, meandering NPCs and street lamps so convincing you could almost hear the bulbs hum. At the end of the street sat a mosaic, with each raised tile impacting the way those lights dances across its surface.

This is what a large part of next-gen gaming is about; the dynamic factor, and The Order: 1886 already seems to have that in spades. It’s an intriguing project that both Sony and the developer are being coy about, but I’m intrigued to learn more, especially to see how on earth textures and destruction impact gameplay as Weerasuriya promised. I’m looking on with keen interest for some sort of clarity.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/21/ps4-gamescom-2013-sony-brings-its-next-gen-darlings-to-cologne/

Destructible environments, dynamic extremity removal, sweet!

Concept arts

RLkGJNA.jpg

8cXiwZJ.jpg

aZ4Xuou.jpg

Holy moly! Destruction! Yes!!! Impressions sound brilliant! Can't wait to see a first gameplay demo in action...baaaaa, the wait is killing me!

How Uncharted infuenced 1886

"We're not trying to emulate things they've done moment to moment," he says. "We're trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment. Entertainment comes in big Hollywood blockbusters and small indie movies - it's that. Games don't do that enough. Sometimes you get just stuck in one gameplay sequence or one thing you do all the way through. They gave us a multitude of things that created a whole. Once you played the game you felt, wow, that was a great ride. That's where the inspiration came from.

"It was one of the first times in my life when I felt, wow, you know what? That was an amazing ride. There was no single moment when I was like, that was just cool and that's the thing I love. The feeling at the end was, I just want more of this. This is what I want to do. This is what gaming is for me. That's what drove us to do this."

Way more at the link.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-29-how-uncharted-influenced-ps4-exclusive-the-order-1886

Back